Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Knight would tell players where to go in town to get free food, and free gas, work done on their cars for no cost, and where to find cheap housing. Where to get summer jobs that paid more money to players than regular workers. He got players' families jobs at Cook and other places. Did they go to class? Yes Did they graduate? Yes But he had ways around rules just like everyone else. 

This has been echoed to me in the past by Knight's first ever recruit at Indiana. 

20 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Knight was put on zero tolerance when that was revealed.  Not sure I would call that being overlooked.  

Not sure it taking a video surfacing three years later and nearly 30 years into his coaching career for “zero tolerance” to be enacted a high level of oversight either. Choking a kid in practice doesn’t happen in a vacuum. That’s a pattern of acceptable behavior culminating in a videoed outburst of physical violence. It is safe to say that pattern was overlooked due to wins. 

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

If May actually has an IU out clause in his FAU contract, he could probably get it added to a contract at a P5 school too.

Do you think a Louisville, OSU, Michigan, etc would add an escape clause? The scene much different now than when May was a literal "nobody" trying to get hired at Florida Atlantic University... 

Would you hire a coach and put an escape clause in the contract for him? I would think that would be a pretty big "ask" and an ever harder "get".

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Dusty and OSU might be in preliminary talks about the job

I thought I saw that Sen Miller was taking that job.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Do you think a Louisville, OSU, Michigan, etc would add an escape clause? The scene much different now than when May was a literal "nobody" trying to get hired at Florida Atlantic University... 

Would you hire a coach and put an escape clause in the contract for him? I would think that would be a pretty big "ask" and an ever harder "get".

That's what agents/lawyers are for, right? If he wants it so bad, "make it happen guys..."

The timing never works out that cleanly anyway, so it's a moot point IMO

7 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

Great point. Are you ok winning the right way if it's the way Duke does it? Break all the rules with a 4.0 GPA while the NCAA looks teh other way?

Duke has their own issues.  Coach K was dirty or looked the other way.  The NCAA looked the other way.  That doesn't mean that IU should get in the mud and skirt rules as well. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sure they are having talks with several coaches at this point. They got the headstart by getting rid of Holtman

I don’t think it is the same Dusty May.  The Dispatch has him hailing from Peoria, Illinois.  Good journalism.

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

We should not shoot ourselves in the foot if we want to prioritize the basketball program. 

Sampson was also in a totally different era. The power dynamics have shifted. Anyhow we probably won't agree here and that's okay

I can honestly see both sides, and ultimately, if he wins and doesn't cause us any major heartburn in the process, I could live with it. The key here is that we all want the same thing - to put the shine back on the Indiana basketball program - to win "for the glory of old IU". We might be able to get there through a number of different paths, but the goal is to get there.

18 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

IU will keep Woodson and Dusty will go to OSU and raid Indiana for talent the way Matta used to!

Right now I would take Matta over Woodson, at least he’s got Butler heading in the right direction 

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Duke has their own issues.  Coach K was dirty or looked the other way.  The NCAA looked the other way.  That doesn't mean that IU should get in the mud and skirt rules as well. 

I'd have to say you're naive if you don't think IU has skirted the rules as it pertains to NIL and how it's presented to prospective recruits. Is it really a big deal if EVERYBODY is doing it?

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

I can honestly see both sides, and ultimately, if he wins and doesn't cause us any major heartburn in the process, I could live with it. The key here is that we all want the same thing - to put the shine back on the Indiana basketball program - to win "for the glory of old IU". We might be able to get there through a number of different paths, but the goal is to get there.

Amen brother. I'd be thrilled with either next year. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

They've both been retired for a couple of years. Pearl is 64 in March.

And Coach K was 75 when he retired :) Sure Roy was a little under 10 years older, but it's not set in stone. Just saying we don't need to assume he would only be here for 5 years. 

28 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Very minor point. This was the year before I started at IU. The NCAA suspended Alford; not RMK. However, he did put Alford through the ringer because if it. 

Yes.  Knight notified the NCAA of the violation when he became aware of it.  The NCAA said it was a violation and gave IU two options.  Suspend Alford for the next game (Kentucky) or wait two weeks for the infraction committee to meet.  Knight/IU chose to suspend Alford the Kentucky game.  

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

I'd have to say you're naive if you don't think IU has skirted the rules as it pertains to NIL and how it's presented to prospective recruits. Is it really a big deal if EVERYBODY is doing it?

Right. 

Breaking the law is bad.

Breaking NCAA rules? Most of the time, the rules are pretty obscure and dumb anyway.