Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Anthony Leal vs Penn State - Saturday, 02.03.24 @ Noon on FS1

thank you 
This is the part that kills me with where we are as fans. 
Be made at the roster. Yep. Be mad with the results, yep. But the suggestions to “make a change” “bench them” “go smaller” ….. with who? That is the issue the 100%. Feels like the rest is noise.
We have no PG. period. Whatever system we do or don’t run. We don’t have a PG. 
I have seen enough on Cupps that I don’t think he will ever be more than deep bench option. He doesn’t have it. Can’t develop that much speed and quickness. He doesn’t have good vision either. 
Not a single one of our guards and he tried all 4 of them, could keep Ace in front of them. Same issue at Auburn, Louisville and more. 
So many hate X as a person, fine. But 50% of good X is light years ahead of any other options. We have 2 wins in 2024 and no coincidence he started and played well. We can’t win without him. No matter the adjustments. 
So this all comes down to portal now. No matter if you bring in a new coach etc. portal is it or you are going to be bad even if you have coach K with these guards. 
Regardless of this year roster construction ND how bad the team is or isn't. My big concern is the inability of this staff to consistently prepare a team for games. Sometimes they come out and look good but several times under Woodson they look terrible and embarrassing unprepared. Signs that even with the dream team he would find away to lose several games a year. He just isn't a good coach period. Development or in-game coaching he stinks. No heart and I believe when he says we got to go to work doesn't mean what I think it means lol.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

thank you 
Be made at the roster. Yep. Be mad with the results, yep. But the suggestions to “make a change” “bench them” “go smaller” ….. with who? That is the issue the 100%. Feels like the rest is noise.
I have seen enough on Cupps that I don’t think he will ever be more than deep bench option. He doesn’t have it. Can’t develop that much speed and quickness. He doesn’t have good vision either. 
Not a single one of our guards and he tried all 4 of them, could keep Ace in front of them. Same issue at Auburn, Louisville and more. 
So many hate X as a person, fine. But 50% of good X is light years ahead of any other options. We have 2 wins in 2024 and no coincidence he started and played well. We can’t win without him. No matter the adjustments. 
So this all comes down to portal now. No matter if you bring in a new coach etc. portal is it or you are going to be bad even if you have coach K with these guards. 

All fine and good but Woodson and staff created this roster. I watched Cupps a lot last year, and I was very vocal about where he would stand on this team. I was in the vast minority. But if I can figure it out, paid basketball professionals should figure it out. Watching Gunn, X, etc. I knew we needed a starter caliber SG to complete this roster. Probably needed more but we at least needed that. If I knew that and this staff didn’t that says EVERYTHING.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

All fine and good but Woodson and staff created this roster. I watched Cupps a lot last year, and I was very vocal about where he would stand on this team. I was in the vast minority. But if I can figure it out, paid basketball professionals should figure it out. Watching Gunn, X, etc. I knew we needed a starter caliber SG to complete this roster. Probably needed more but we at least needed that. If I knew that and this staff didn’t that says EVERYTHING.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

And to leave a scholarship open with the guard situation the way it was is a fireable offense - dereliction of duty/incompetence.

4 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

He is transferring and can’t do the right thing until then 

I believe CJ Gunn’s dad posted/did similar things last year.  Upset parents need to stay off Twitter.  It can only hurt their kids.

in terms of Gunn, he’s shot like 25% from three for his career.  System alone doesn’t account for that.

4 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

thank you 

Woodson looked at this roster and thought it was good enough to leave open a scholarship. Can’t turn around and blame the roster. We stink because of woodson. He’s deficient in all aspects. Recruiting. Game planning. In-game coaching. Dude needs to retire. The game has passed him by. His 2003 brand of basketball just got us run off the floor at home against a crappy Penn State team missing its best player. 

Woodson looked at this roster and thought it was good enough to leave open a scholarship. Can’t turn around and blame the roster. We stink because of woodson. He’s deficient in all aspects. Recruiting. Game planning. In-game coaching. Dude needs to retire. The game has passed him by. His 2003 brand of basketball just got us run off the floor at home against a crappy Penn State team missing its best player. 
The roster is on Woodson he thought this team was good to go. All these nba guys are the same. Penny, Howard. And Woodson. Come to us and we will get you to the league. Now Howard had some early success but has tanked since. Penny has had plenty of talent but done nothing. It's just not a recipe for success. Hard watching purdue and Wisconsin kill it will non nba guys.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I believe CJ Gunn’s dad posted/did similar things last year.  Upset parents need to stay off Twitter.  It can only hurt their kids.
in terms of Gunn, he’s shot like 25% from three for his career.  System alone doesn’t account for that.
It seems to me this drop off of 3 point shooting started to show up when Marshall was hired. I could be wong

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The roster is on Woodson he thought this team was good to go. All these nba guys are the same. Penny, Howard. And Woodson. Come to us and we will get you to the league. Now Howard had some early success but has tanked since. Penny has had plenty of talent but done nothing. It's just not a recipe for success. Hard watching purdue and Wisconsin kill it will non nba guys.

Yet if IU doesn't sign the burger boys people get upset about it

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Yet if IU doesn't sign the burger boys people get upset about it

Exactly.  What do you want?  A system built around 3 and 4 stars who develop into a team greater than the sum of its parts?   Or keep chasing the 5 stars that so far have been unable to take us very far?  

4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

This roster is good enough to beat Penn State without its best player at home.  

Just hearing a few things from the press conferences, I think Woodson has these guys scared to play.  From the sounds of it, nobody has told guys like Cupps and Leal that they have to contribute on offense.  Which explains why you see tight scared play — trying not to screw up.  Whether the message from Woodson and the coaches is on purpose or just a byproduct of their “style” they need to change it.  

4 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It seems to me this drop off of 3 point shooting started to show up when Marshall was hired. I could be wong

For me the drop off in 3 point shooting started when the actual staffs decided to not prioritize 3 pt shooting and recruit actual knock down 3 pt shooters.    They recruited ok to good shooters but never a knock down elite shooter like they got coming in next year with Mcneeley.   

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Exactly.  What do you want?  A system built around 3 and 4 stars who develop into a team greater than the sum of its parts?   Or keep chasing the 5 stars that so far have been unable to take us very far?  

Without leadership, they never will.  Shear talent alone won’t work against good teams.  You need players that stay in the program for 3 and 4 years to help the learning curve of the freshman and sophomores and provide leadership.  It just so happens this team has the wrong guys in leadership roles.  

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agreed. Regardless, I think the Gunn experience is fortunately coming to an end. He’s simply not a high major  player. Mid major will serve him well. 

4 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I’ve been really skeptical of Cliff Marshall being our strength trainer since Crean brought him in.  It seems our rash of injuries have went up and our 3 point shooting has went down.  Wasn’t he a football trainer?  Big difference between training for football and training for basketball 

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

This roster is good enough to beat Penn State without its best player at home.  

Just hearing a few things from the press conferences, I think Woodson has these guys scared to play.  From the sounds of it, nobody has told guys like Cupps and Leal that they have to contribute on offense.  Which explains why you see tight scared play — trying not to screw up.  Whether the message from Woodson and the coaches is on purpose or just a byproduct of their “style” they need to change it.  

If Cupps provides nothing on offense then he should sit on the bench….and more often then not he provides nothing on offense. Unfortunately, with no guard play, we have no choice but to play him majority of minutes.

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I’ve been really skeptical of Cliff Marshall being our strength trainer since Crean brought him in.  It seems our rash of injuries have went up and our 3 point shooting has went down.  Wasn’t he a football trainer?  Big difference between training for football and training for basketball 

I believe Archie hired him (Woodson’s staff is mainly Archie’s guys)..and yes, his background looks to be in football. 

7 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Archie brought him in.  His experience was mainly in football, but he did do some work with Archie's basketball team in Dayton, as well as, I believe, Xavier's team.  Regardless, despite all the hoopla surrounding him when he was hired, I've seen no evidence that he's any better than anybody else. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

If Cupps provides nothing on offense then he should sit on the bench….and more often then not he provides nothing on offense. Unfortunately, with no guard play, we have no choice but to play him majority of minutes.

But it’s not like he doesn’t provide anything on offense.  It’s more like negative in that he doesn’t do anything even when the opportunity is there.  When they watch film do not say “Gabe we want you to shoot there.”  Or “Gabe good opportunity to drive to the hoop.”   It’s like he’s afraid to do anything.   

Same with Gunn, but reverse?  Trying to slow him down and get better shots.  

31 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

For me the drop off in 3 point shooting started when the actual staffs decided to not prioritize 3 pt shooting and recruit actual knock down 3 pt shooters.    They recruited ok to good shooters but never a knock down elite shooter like they got coming in next year with Mcneeley.   

Ding ding ding winner .