Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

COMPLAIN HERE!

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In fairness, currently year three is possible but not likely for the tourney. Two out of three ain't bad ... but it ain't special either. 

For me? Year 1: play-in and done; year 2: 4 seed and round of 32, is perfectly good progression.

Definitely.  My thing is for a program that missed 6 straight tourneys and has only had 1 winning conference record in the last 7 years most people would acknowledge where the program was to actually making the tourney would be some kind of progression but that’s not the case with some.    This program has a long way to go to get to where most want it to be.    Talking about wanting it to be an elite program is not going to automatically make it happen.  It’s going to be take a bit to get there 

If we as fans accept that IU is a mediocre program destined for nothing beyond that then the results are easier to stomach. Getting blown at in the round of 32 after an offseason/preseason of hype becomes a good enough high point. 
I don’t want IU to be a mediocre program, but the results speak for themselves. The Woodson hire demonstrated that the administration doesn’t take basketball seriously, and I’ve slowly been been coming to terms with it since then. 
Pretty much. I mean we were projected to win the big ten last year and be a top 20 or 15 team. So getting blown out in the round if 32 did not seem like some massive success to me. But like you said the iu admins don't care about bbal so results better than that are probably not going to happen. Probably easier to just accept that I guess.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Definitely.  My thing is for a program that missed 6 straight tourneys and have only had 1 winning conference record in the last 7 years most people would acknowledge where the program was to actually making the tourney would be some kind of progression but that’s not the case with some.    This program has a long way to go to get to where most want it to be.    Talking about wanting it to be an elite program is going to automatically make it happen.  It’s going to be take a bit to get there 

I know I'm off topic here because I'm not really complaining (lol), but I think that many underestimate the positive impact program continuity can have for next year. A fifth year Galloway, third year Malik, and second year Mack and Cupps is a core of rotation players who understand the system in a big way. Heck, maybe Leal comes back for a fifth year too - as a great team voice and occasional system rotation fit. 

That is a real and important dynamic. Northwestern and Nebraska are this year's exhibit A and B.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I know I'm off topic here because I'm not complaining (lol), but I think that many underestimate the positive impact program continuity can have for next year. A fifth year Galloway, third year Malik, and second year Mack and Cupps is a core of rotation players who understand the system in a big way. Heck, maybe Leal comes back for a fifth year too - as a great team voice and occasional system rotation fit. 

That is a real and important dynamic. Northwestern and Nebraska are this year's exhibit A and B.

I hear you, but if you take a step back, is there really a "strategy" at play, or just more of "scramble" every year?

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I hear you, but if you take a step back, is there really a "strategy" at play, or just more of "scramble" every year?

If we take a "step back?" It depends.

Is a step back finishing 10-10 in conference and being one of the first four out, but returning Trey, Malik, Mack, and others; or is a step back finishing 7-13 and having a mass exodus?

It's interesting as hell to watch it play out.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I know I'm off topic here because I'm not really complaining (lol), but I think that many underestimate the positive impact program continuity can have for next year. A fifth year Galloway, third year Malik, and second year Mack and Cupps is a core of rotation players who understand the system in a big way. Heck, maybe Leal comes back for a fifth year too - as a great team voice and occasional system rotation fit. 

That’s what I thought of XJ this year, I was wrong. 

Just now, bird4par said:

That’s what I thought of XJ this year, I was wrong. 

Sure, but that's an anecdotal example.

I think we can agree that there will be outliers and occasional team benefit if a particular player had left. Not saying that's X, but maybe. Overall? Team continuity is a very good thing on the whole.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think Turdue fits in this program continuity as well.  Didn’t they pretty much gave 7 or 8 of their rotation guys back and basically all they did was plug in Lance Jones?  Also, I think they could have this entire team back next year because of the COVID year.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sure, but that's an anecdotal example.

I think we can agree that there will be outliers and occasional team benefit if a particular player had left. Not saying that's X, but maybe. Overall? Team continuity is a very good thing on the whole.

To a certain extent, program continuity is what Coach Cig has done by bringing in so many of his former players.  They know him and how he wants it done.  

15 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think Turdue fits in this program continuity as well.  Didn’t they pretty much gave 7 or 8 of their rotation guys back and basically all they did was plug in Lance Jones?  Also, I think they could have this entire team back next year because of the COVID year.

As long as Edey leaves idc who they bring back or how good they are. Watching and hearing about him 24/7 is old

52 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sure... But Nebraska and Northwestern are also taking advantage of the Big Ten sucking. It isn't that NW and Nebraska are really good.. they proved that in the non conference. But Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Maryland are bad teams. So do we hope for us getting better and the Big Ten staying bad? Because Washington, USC, UCLA and Oregon look to be mediocre to really bad teams.

Another complaint...

Michigan State is considered to be in the tourney because they lose to good teams.

Wins against your ey teams...

Indiana State and Baylor

Losses...

James Madison, Duke, Arizona, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin

Outside of that... Wins are USI, Butler, Alcorn State, Georgia Southern, Oakland, Stony Brook, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland and Michigan.

48 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

As long as Edey leaves idc who they bring back or how good they are. Watching and hearing about him 24/7 is old

He has a year of eligibility left.  I’ve heard from an insider if he projects 2nd round, he will be returning to try for most NPOY of all time.  Won’t that be a shame.

1 minute ago, Eric Mack said:

He has a year of eligibility left.  I’ve heard from an insider if he projects 2nd round, he will be returning to try for most NPOY of all time.  Won’t that be a shame.

He's projected Top 20. Great to leave. God awful draft class.

Definitely.  My thing is for a program that missed 6 straight tourneys and has only had 1 winning conference record in the last 7 years most people would acknowledge where the program was to actually making the tourney would be some kind of progression but that’s not the case with some.    This program has a long way to go to get to where most want it to be.    Talking about wanting it to be an elite program is going to automatically make it happen.  It’s going to be take a bit to get there 

2 sides to the coin. Cheating and us not cheating enough or well enough was to blame before. Well, and inadequate coaching.

But NOW we are top 10 in about every program metric besides results. We have a top 10-15 NIL program, top 10-20 paid staff, and about everything else one could ask for. 5 stars. 4 stars… etc.

Just need the Pilot to fly the plane the way winning planes want to fly. I realize it isn’t easy but certain people seem to find ways.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

They have an excellent coach. Continuity, for sure they do. But they have a coach that has his vision and knows what works to win.

Sidenote-they have one of their best recruiting classes of all time coming in. Playing time will be a problem for some.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Another complaint...

Michigan State is considered to be in the tourney because they lose to good teams.

Wins against your ey teams...

Indiana State and Baylor

Losses...

James Madison, Duke, Arizona, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin

Outside of that... Wins are USI, Butler, Alcorn State, Georgia Southern, Oakland, Stony Brook, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland and Michigan.

Not a good resume 

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

In my 24 years here at IU I've never seen one person have sole responsibility in hiring someone. There is usually a committee, then you run things by other people. Dolson didn't have full control in hiring Cigs.  He had other people sit on the interviews, then discussed them with associate AD's

Which is kind of the way it works in any large organization.  

5 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

That’s just what I find bizarre. The straight Brad says no so we go straight to Woodson… was there a Porter Moser or Chris Beard in that process that told us heck no? If so that would make me feel slightly better 

Porter Moser after Archie.  Are you chitting me?  The place would have burned down, regardless how the guy is doing these days.  

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

It is also massively discounting X getting injured again and how much that derailed things. Then comes back, struggles, then Ware. 

It also changes things that he was hurt last year. Those preseason expectations were on him being in the rotation. Some will say JHS was better yada yada but X sure would have been able to shut down Miami guards when JHS was getting blown by and would liked to have had both. 

The problem is, the same fans who want to act like X isn’t a huge difference maker are the same ones who will say you can’t use injuries as “excuses.” It is almost like facts don’t matter. 

X getting injured didn't derail anything. We were bad with and without him. He was bad before the injury, bad after. He was bad last year before his injury.