Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Pat Kuntz former Roncalli and ND standout is JMU’s DL coach as well. Kuntz coached at IU under Allen for a few years previously.

Marcus Hall-Oliver is the safeties coach/recruiting coordinator and GA’d at IU a few years back as well. 

37 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If we can get Cignetti I'd be curious what coordinators and coaches he brings in. I think JMU offense was run oriented but if it works it works.

The other site has the video of Cignetti being on the Pat McAfee show. They have the second best run defense in the country and led the country in sacks

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Can we at least get rid of our leftover assistants completely? Brandon Shelby has been with IU for how long? And our DBs have been baaaaaad, yet he still keeps his job(not sure why that one gets a pass from everyone). New OC, new DC, new position coaches. IU needs a FRESH start. Can't keep around a bunch of loser coaches from the past culture.

That's a safe bet whoever is hired. 

21 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I'll be really happy if we land Cig. IUP had a 4-10 conference record prior to Cig's arrival and in his first year they went 7-3. Elon had a 4-20 conference record and six straight losing seasons prior to Cig's arrival. They won 8 games his first season there. While at JMU he's always been 1st in the conference. Guys, this is a big effin' deal if we land this coach. I'm trying to stay calm about this because I don't want to get my hopes up. LOL!

I knew nothing about him before opening this thread today. I knew JMU was having a good run,  but no clue about the coach. But your confidence and enthusiasm is enough for me, now I'm fully on the hype train for Cignetti!!

Also, I do NOT want a position coach or MAC up & comer, so this checks all my boxes.

Between Cignetti and Candle if they were both huge successes, who would be more likely to leave after three or four years?

Clearly Candle. So I guess I’m OK with the age thing given that five good years if we got them, would make him a success with a year or two extra over a poachable younger coach who was a success.

22 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I'll be really happy if we land Cig. IUP had a 4-10 conference record prior to Cig's arrival and in his first year they went 7-3. Elon had a 4-20 conference record and six straight losing seasons prior to Cig's arrival. They won 8 games his first season there. While at JMU he's always been 1st in the conference. Guys, this is a big effin' deal if we land this coach. I'm trying to stay calm about this because I don't want to get my hopes up. LOL!

IDK.  I like the guy.  But he doesn't fit many of the requirements of the people here.  He's basically a click above D3.  With an Alabama pedigree, he hasn't landed a bigger job?  Really.  IU is the best he can do?  Is he really any different than an assistant from a big tyne program?  What's the knock on him?  

With that said -- I do like him.  Saw his video and I think he's got the right temperament.  He could do some things, I think.  But I am a homer -- I'll back any IU coach until he gives me a reason not to.  

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If we hired Cignetti or Candle and they were both huge successes, who would be more likely to leave after three or four years?

Clearly Candle.

After the past few seasons, shouldn’t the hire be made hoping for this scenario, rather making a hire trying to avoid it. I’d take having a to replace a coach due to too much winning than having to ask for money to fire and hire a coach

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

IDK.  I like the guy.  But he doesn't fit many of the requirements of the people here.  He's basically a click above D3.  With an Alabama pedigree, he hasn't landed a bigger job?  Really.  IU is the best he can do?  Is he really any different than an assistant from a big tyne program?  What's the knock on him?  

With that said -- I do like him.  Saw his video and I think he's got the right temperament.  He could do some things, I think.  But I am a homer -- I'll back any IU coach until he gives me a reason not to.  

Huh?

Has multiple years of HC experience at multiple levels of collegiate football—-check

Has been successful at every stop—-check

known program builder—-check

Known for player development—-check 

He checks a ton of boxes.

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Completely understand your point of view here. I think his biggest knock is his age. He got a late start at doing the whole HC thing. He's not our coach yet, so who knows. 

15 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I am a homer too. But we're "homers" for one of the worst programs in the history of college football. 

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd prefer someone younger but I'd be on board with Cignetti, although he's only been a HC for 13 years so he got started later.  He recruited some good players to Alabama, but that is Alabama.

Recruited and developed Phillip Rivers at NC State and recruited Russell Wilson to NC State before leaving to take an elevated position at Alabama where he is credited with recruiting a Heisman trophy winner and multiple AA and NFL draft picks.

12 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd prefer someone younger but I'd be on board with Cignetti, although he's only been a HC for 13 years so he got started later.  He recruited some good players to Alabama, but that is Alabama.

Also recruited Phillip Rivers & Russell Wilson at NC State as the QB coach. He beat IU in Bloomington when he was on their staff

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

JMU is a FBS team and was ranked in the top 25 for some of the year. They won the Sun Belt this year

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Recruited and developed Phillip Rivers at NC State and recruited Russell Wilson to NC State before leaving to take an elevated position at Alabama where he is credited with recruiting a Heisman trophy winner and multiple AA and NFL draft picks.

You beat me to it

Curt Cignetti, who led James Madison to a national title-game appearance at James Madison in 2019 and has seamlessly guided the program's transition to the Football Bowls Subdivision level, has emerged as a top target at Indiana Universty.

The Hoosiers fired former coach Tom Allen last weekend after a dismal 3-9 season in which attendance plummeted and the team's offense was among the worst in Power-5 play.

While Indiana has talked to and vetted numerous candidates -- most notably, Jason Candle of Toledo among them -- it has this week zeroed its focus on Cignetti, a sitting head coach with 13 years' head coaching experience.

Sources familiar with the IU search told FootballScoop Wednesday evening that Indiana's leaders in the search had informed candidates that they "were prioritizing people with significant head-coaching experience."

Candle also has been a long-time head coach at Toledo; he's won 65 games in eight full seasons running the Rockets.

Cignetti had James Madison undefeated until a late-season upset-loss against Appalachian State, and his program also developed into a national storyline as it sought permission to both play in its conference championship game and receive bowl eligibility.

Typically not an issue for transitioning programs, JMU was bowl eligible a year ago in its first transitional season as an FBS program and climbed to No. 18 in the AP Top 25 this season before its loss to App State. 

Additionally, Cignetti has significant experience as a Power 5 assistant head coach, and he won a national championship as an assistant coach under Nick Saban at Alabama.

Cignetti has won six conference coach of the year honors in three different leagues.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-key-figure-emerges-in-indiana-search