Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

1 minute ago, TeeterInNJ said:

How many of those qualified coaches are likely to have any interest in coaching at IU? 

How many of those coaches exist? We are still talking about a position coach for one of the best NFL teams right now. Give the man his credit. 

I just gave you 3. That doesn’t include guys at the FCS level.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

I just gave you 3. That doesn’t include guys at the FCS level.

Okay, those three exist. Now answer the 1st question. Lol. 

Wow, FCS level. You'd rather have an FCS head coach than ARE? How successful does the FCS coach have to be? The guy from NDSU? 

Would you rather have Will Muschamp or ARE, I'm genuinely curious now

6 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Okay, those three exist. Now answer the 1st question. Lol. 

Wow, FCS level. You'd rather have an FCS head coach than ARE? How successful does the FCS coach have to be? The guy from NDSU? 

Would you rather have Will Muschamp or ARE, I'm genuinely curious now

If I’m Dolson I’m not interviewing a soul who doesn’t at minimum have HC experience at the FCS level or above. That eliminates ARE from any and all consideration, so to answer your question yes I would rather have Will Mushchamp if choosing between the 2. My short list 1-5

1. Willie Fritz

2. Paul Chryst 

3. Kane Wommack

4. Curt Cignetti

5. Dan Mullen

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That'd be fine. 

I mean.. I'd take Fuentes. 

I would too, but only if he interviews as part of a real search. Hiring from within, while it would be much different than when they did it with Tom, would just be so demoralizing for some reason. 

17 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

If I’m Dolson I’m not interviewing a soul who doesn’t at minimum have HC experience at the FCS level or above. That eliminates ARE from any and all consideration, so to answer your question yes I would rather have Will Mushchamp if choosing between the 2. My short list 1-5

1. Willie Fritz Tulane's coach? At 63, he's leaving the best team/program he's ever been at? Be realistic.

2. Paul Chryst See he's an analyst at Texas now... having coached against us at Wiscy, I doubt he is interested in us... but sure pick up the phone and get ready to keep ticking down the list...

3. Kane Wommack He's had one good season as a head coach... he's been here previously, not sure if that helps or hurts... most likely to be interested on the list by far... Wouldn't dislike the hire necessarily but personally I'll prefer the guy with NFL experience. If he is remotely successful here, he leaves ASAP

4. Curt Cignetti 62 years old and already at a winning program. Let's be realistic..

5. Dan Mullen Yeah, he'd be a great hire. Is he coming here? Maybe if the money is right. The odds we invest in football that heavily? Close to none. He'd probably prefer to stay in TV until a better situation comes along.  

Okay be honest, did you think Brad Stevens was coming here?

10 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Okay be honest, did you think Brad Stevens was coming here?

No.

Look at Fritz resume, he’s a no brainer. He’s won at every level of football.

-2x national champion JUCO level 

-built D2 Central MO from the ground up

-went to back to back FCS title games at Sam Houston

-transitioned GA Southern into FCS and won 17 games in 2 years

-went 10-2 at Tulane last year and won a NY6 bowl, 6-1 this ranked in the top 25 with only loss to Ole Miss w/o starting QB

I’m not sure what else he has to prove at Tulane. He’s the John Beilein of college football in the sense he wins wherever he goes and it took John Beilein forever to get a P5 job. All Fritz needs is a chance. Kansas gave Lance Leipold a chance who isn’t that much younger and look at where they’re at. He very well could turn IU down and that’s one thing, but it would be asinine of Dolson to not give him a shot. Fritz acts closer to 43 on the sideline than 63 and giving a proven winner 5-6 years beats the hell out of gambling on an NFL position coach. You can hire ARE in 3-4 years from now if things don’t pan out, he’s not going anywhere.

Edited by IndyResident16

Fritz has been pretty open about retiring at Tulane after he chose to stay last offseason, FWIW. And not just the “boy I’d sure love to be a <mascot> for life…now open ‘em checkbooks!” BS that coaches always say either. 

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Fritz has been pretty open about retiring at Tulane after he chose to stay last offseason, FWIW. And not just the “boy I’d sure love to be a <mascot> for life…now open ‘em checkbooks!” BS that coaches always say either. 

Very well could be the case, but looking at his career path and resume it’s clear he’s not afraid of a challenge as he’s moved up a tier every time he’s jumped jobs. Coaching a P5 school is the only obstacle missing from his resume.

4 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I should start by pointing out that I don’t know much about football.  However, I am somewhat surprised to just the number that are not in the ARE camp.  

From everything I have read and know about him is that he is a tremendous leader and as the cliche goes ‘he has something to him’.  He has that ‘it’ factor and an unbelievable personality.

I don’t know many of the other names being mentioned outside of the big ones like Gruden or Meyer.  I would much prefer ARE than some coordinator that is 60+ and has no ties to IU.  That would be a firm no and experience just because your old is overvalued to me.  I can see ARE having a conversation in a recruits living room compared to a 60 something retread and would imagine said recruit and his family coming away completely impressed.

But this is all hypothetical and Gruden and Meyer are not coming to IU, even though at times I myself have brought them up to stir the pot. ARE would definitely be interested I am sure of it. He's definitely an IU guy. That being said, who else would be? That's the real question. For those promoting ARE, what about Justin Frye? He's the other IU guy supposedly being pushed. But ARE certainly wouldn't be worse than Allen. If you gave him a reasonable contract it could be a good flyer. However, most of the HC's in the Big Ten are very accomplished. Even "lower level" teams have very experienced coaches, at a program like IU you are already at a huge disadvantage and you hire a guy with no HC experience and only 4 years as an NFL assistant. That's a big reach. Then you you may have to fire one of your legends. Maybe it doesn't matter tbh. But it seems like ARE would be better served going to a place like Ball State or Bowling Green for a couple years or getting promoted to OC in the NFL then taking the IU job. Regardless, if IU hired ARE, I would support him even though it would reek of desperation. He's the greatest IUFB player ever (sorry AT). But comparing this situation to IUBB+Woody is a huge stretch. Woody was in the NBA for 25 years as both an assistant and head coach. Although I agree one doesn't need college coaching/recruiting experience, I think it's a huge plus if you've lead a program (as a coach) or at least called plays. When it's all said and done, it really comes down to who wants the job. It literally could be just a few dudes. I do get a kick out of all of this, so take no offense to any of my opinions. I just want some buzz and a reasonable amount of success. 

8 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

But this is all hypothetical and Gruden and Meyer are not coming to IU, even though at times I myself have brought them up to stir the pot. ARE would definitely be interested I am sure of it. He's definitely an IU guy. That being said, who else would be? That's the real question. For those promoting ARE, what about Justin Frye? He's the other IU guy supposedly being pushed. But ARE certainly wouldn't be worse than Allen. If you gave him a reasonable contract it could be a good flyer. However, most of the HC's in the Big Ten are very accomplished. Even "lower level" teams have very experienced coaches, at a program like IU you are already at a huge disadvantage and you hire a guy with no HC experience and only 4 years as an NFL assistant. That's a big reach. Then you you may have to fire one of your legends. Maybe it doesn't matter tbh. But it seems like ARE would be better served going to a place like Ball State or Bowling Green for a couple years or getting promoted to OC in the NFL then taking the IU job. Regardless, if IU hired ARE, I would support him even though it would reek of desperation. He's the greatest IUFB player ever (sorry AT). But comparing this situation to IUBB+Woody is a huge stretch. Woody was in the NBA for 25 years as both an assistant and head coach. Although I agree one doesn't need college coaching/recruiting experience, I think it's a huge plus if you've lead a program (as a coach) or at least called plays. When it's all said and done, it really comes down to who wants the job. It literally could be just a few dudes. I do get a kick out of all of this, so take no offense to any of my opinions. I just want some buzz and a reasonable amount of success. 

I bolded the most important statement about the IU Football program. IMO, the guy who wants to be at IU is automatically at the front of the line for interviews. If it's ARE, then Dolson needs to see and feel his vision. The entire IU football program needs to see and feel his vision, including the entire IU fanbase. We need someone who can come in here and establish a strong, consistent pulse for this football program. The entire coaching staff needs to be built and paid for longevity. JMO

As I was walking down Fee Lane one day 

A man came up to me and ask me

What was the name of IU's football coach?

Does anybody really know who it is?

Does  anybody really care?

If so, I can't imagine why

(Oh no, no) we've all got time enough to cry.

[my sincerest apologies to Chicago]

Every thing is focused on coaching.  IU football will not sustain long term 500 football under current structure of big ten conference.

There are many major conference teams that have fairly solid programs with marginal winning records that would not have winning or even 500 win percentage if they were in the same conference structure that IU has traditionally and currently been in.

I love the passion you guys have for IU football on this board.  Just throwing out random names to discuss is fun. I might be Charlie Brown, but I feel like this time COULD be different.  Power 5 has really turned into the Big 2 (B1G & SEC).

Some coaches may just want a place at the table in one of the 2 mega conferences.  NIL and the transfer portal also give a new coach a better opportunity to reimagine the program faster without waiting years to build relationships and for their recruits to develop. A name like Dan Mullen (I personally want an offense guru) might consider us that would've laughed before. Who knows,  might just be wishful thinking.