Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

(2025) SG - Braylon Mullins

Just now, Shooter said:

Yes "if" they win. Woodson tried to build a roster the same way last year, and we were terrible

BS.

Woodson added one transfer who made any kind of impact and he was a lottery pick. Woodson’s biggest failure last year by far was not using the portal ENOUGH. Needed a guard or two to compliment the front court.

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

BS.

Woodson added one transfer who made any kind of impact and he was a lottery pick. Woodson’s biggest failure last year by far was not using the portal ENOUGH. Needed a guard or two to compliment the front court.

Yes he entered last spring with a roster that had several needs. Added two of his top players in Ware and Mgbako, but struck out on his guard targets. Overall result was the team he built stunk.

This year he seems to have done better in the portal which I am very happy with. Results are still pending. But there is a risk with waiting until the spring. It would be foolish to assume it will always go like this offseason, and not like last offseason.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

6 of the 12 players on last year’s roster were new. 7 of the 13 players on this year’s roster are new. You’re not going to build continuity/a system when half your guys each year are new to the program. 

Of the 7 new players, 1 is a freshman and only 4 are expected to be apart of the rotation. Nobody plays 12 or 13 guys. You’re crazy if you think adding 4-5 new faces a year is outside the norm. It’s standard practice in this climate. 

10 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yes he entered last spring with a roster that had several needs. Added two of his top players in Ware and Mgbako, but struck out on his guard targets. Overall result was the team he built stunk.

This year he seems to have done better in the portal which I am very happy with. Results are still pending. But there is a risk with waiting until the spring. It would be foolish to assume it will always go like this offseason, and not like last offseason.

The way he constructed his roster last year isn’t remotely close to the way he constructed his roster this last year. Last year he added two Freshman and 3 transfers; Ware, an unproven but ultra-high ceiling prospect, along with Sparks and Walker who were never intended to be anything more than depth/rotational pieces.

This year he added 3 high-level, productive P4 transfers who all have a legitimate chance to play in the NBA and one of the better shooters in the country in Luke Goode. And that doesn’t even include 5* freshman Bryson Tucker. The way the two rosters were constructed are so far apart that they aren’t even comparable.

Striking out on Fland, Queen, and McNeely means we’re starting 21 year old Myles Rice, 23 year old Ballo and 20 year old returning B10 FOY Mgbako instead of starting three 18-19 year olds. I’ll take that all day long.

5 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

It's Forum Fight Friday!!! Let's get a live look at AH1971 & Hoosierfan2017:

lueaDWxOz0LNS (1).gif

Biggest fear at Ft.Wayne zoo.....one of the kangaroos deciding to jump the 3 ft rope and force me to fist fight for the honor of my family.  Pretty sure the roo would kick my @$$ I'm not gonna lie.

15 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The way he constructed his roster last year isn’t remotely close to the way he constructed his roster this last year. Last year he added two Freshman and 3 transfers; Ware, an unproven but ultra-high ceiling prospect, along with Sparks and Walker who were never intended to be anything more than depth/rotational pieces.

This year he added 3 high-level, productive P4 transfers who all have a legitimate chance to play in the NBA and one of the better shooters in the country in Luke Goode. And that doesn’t even include 5* freshman Bryson Tucker. The way the two rosters were constructed are so far apart that they aren’t even comparable.

Striking out on Fland, Queen, and McNeely means we’re starting 21 year old Myles Rice, 23 year old Ballo and 20 year old returning B10 FOY Mgbako instead of starting three 18-19 year olds. I’ll take that all day long.

He did better in the portal this year than last year. That's the difference. It was pretty obvious we needed a high level guard last spring, in addition to the 2 starters and 2 rotation pieces we did add. We tried on guys like Love and Knecht. We just didn't land them. 

I am very happy with the portal haul this year. It would still be foolish to believe high school recruiting no longer matters and we can always fill all our needs from the portal.

5 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I am very happy with the portal haul this year. It would still be foolish to believe high school recruiting no longer matters and we can always fill all our needs from the portal.

Of course high school recruiting still matters. But losing out on Braylon Mullins is far from the end of the world. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even worth losing sleep over. IU missed out on their top 3 targets last year and arguably ended up coming out much better because of it.

Of course high school recruiting still matters. But losing out on Braylon Mullins is far from the end of the world. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even worth losing sleep over. IU missed out on their top 3 targets last year and arguably ended up coming out much better because of it.

I agree with some of your stuff. This is an example of that.

BUT the pressure will be intense for us in the portal this year and recruiting our own team back.

Last year the staff put a terribly disjointed roster together. Missed glaring holes. Payed for it dearly.

This year, it looks WAY better. Now, the question is, can they win and do the stuff winning programs do. Woody has yet to prove this in any season.

I just hope the money continues to give us an advantage so we can at least build great ‘fantasy’ rosters through the portal.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree with some of your stuff. This is an example of that.

BUT the pressure will be intense for us in the portal this year and recruiting our own team back.

Last year the staff put a terribly disjointed roster together. Missed glaring holes. Payed for it dearly.

This year, it looks WAY better. Now, the question is, can they win and do the stuff winning programs do. Woody has yet to prove this in any season.

I just hope the money continues to give us an advantage so we can at least build great ‘fantasy’ rosters through the portal.

Will it though? I’d go as far as to say there’s a world where 4/5 starting spots are already secured next year: Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau. You need a starting big (which seems to be Woodson’s niche), another 4/5 type big who can play 20-25 mpg off the bench and then 1-2 depth pieces to compliment Cupps, Newton, and Sisley. God forbid Goode gets a 5th year. 

Will it though? I’d go as far as to say there’s a world where 4/5 starting spots are already secured next year: Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau. You need a starting big (which seems to be Woodson’s niche), another 4/5 type big who can play 20-25 mpg off the bench and then 1-2 depth pieces to compliment Cupps, Newton, and Sisley. God forbid Goode gets a 5th year. 

In a perfect world… certainly possible.

17 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

6 of the 12 players on last year’s roster were new. 7 of the 13 players on this year’s roster are new. You’re not going to build continuity/a system when half your guys each year are new to the program. 

Not defending the inability to get hs recruits, but those are pretty typical numbers for college programs.  U Conn had 7 new players in 2022 and 6 new players in 2023.