Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2025) - PF Eric Reibe to UConn

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Portal bigs are better anyways. Still think we have a chance with Reibe despite Branham’s talk, we made our last pitch yesterday, and the 247 Kansas site doesn’t seem to reflect that they’re truly in it

I honestly like the portal much more. Indiana is in a weird spot with recruiting.  Because even if we got Reibe I don’t love him as our day 1 starter. But if we spend starter money to get him.  But, maybe he could be.  Tough. 

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I honestly like the portal much more. Indiana is in a weird spot with recruiting.  Because even if we got Reibe I don’t love him as our day 1 starter. But if we spend starter money to get him.  But, maybe he could be.  Tough. 

I believe it's primarily a talent and fit assessment exercise.

Really understanding which players are the right fit for the team culture and have a skill set that can translate to on-court success fairly quickly is the ultimate goal.

And if it's a younger player, it's also necessary to understand whether they will stick with the process and develop at IU long enough to affect winning. If a younger player can do that it's an even bigger win because they can help with culture and continuity.

So, sounds like UCONN is getting the package deal we were hoping for....money apparently is not everything.....Does it really matter in the end the reason? Bottom line, Woody could not pull a kid who grew up loving IU.....to an East Coast school at that....HE BETTER produce this year or the resounding echos of FIRE HIM will be heard throughout the halls of Assembly....Whether some of us like it or not.

12 minutes ago, SlammySammy said:

So, sounds like UCONN is getting the package deal we were hoping for....money apparently is not everything.....Does it really matter in the end the reason? Bottom line, Woody could not pull a kid who grew up loving IU.....to an East Coast school at that....HE BETTER produce this year or the resounding echos of FIRE HIM will be heard throughout the halls of Assembly....Whether some of us like it or not.

Mullins hasn't committed yet. What I was told that there hasn't been a decision yet

22 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I'll be shocked if Mullins and Reibe both don't end up at UCONN.  

lol.  Can you imagine being the fly on the wall of Indiana’s coaches lounge re: Hurley and UConn.  They hate him so, but got smacked on the court, and then for 2 top recruits that we potentially offered double value to.  

I hope our staff is absolutely fired up to have an amazing season.  Getting your teeth kicked in with recruting can’t be a fun feeling when you know outbidding another team isn’t enough.  

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

lol.  Can you imagine being the fly on the wall of Indiana’s coaches lounge re: Hurley and UConn.  They hate him so, but got smacked on the court, and then for 2 top recruits that we potentially offered double value to.  

I hope our staff is absolutely fired up to have an amazing season.  Getting your teeth kicked in with recruting can’t be a fun feeling when you know outbidding another team isn’t enough.  

agree 100%!  

51 minutes ago, SlammySammy said:

Woodson and the Cook's / Simons' bags < Good coach and less money. 

No surprise there.

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Woodson and the Cook's / Simons' bags < Good coach and less money. 

No surprise there.

Idk. We got Ballo, Tucker, Rice, Carlyle. 

Just needs to find guys that like his style.  If we win big it makes that easier.  There is no guarantee Mullins isn’t Connor Essegian by the end of all this.  Transfer portal can do wonders but our staffs inability to indentify and sell High Schooler’s is an odd fact that points to a problem in the overall system of who we target or what we offer.   

I think the staffs general idea of going for top end talent from HS and going portal for the rest is the logical and smart way to recruit.  

I didn’t want a 6 person freshman class anyway.  Haralson, Mullins, Moreno/Reibe/ Sisley would have been a nice 4 man class with room for 2 impact transfers. 

oh well. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just needs to find guys that like his style.  If we win big it makes that easier.  There is no guarantee Mullins isn’t Connor Essegian by the end of all this.  Transfer portal can do wonders but our staffs inability to indentify and sell High Schooler’s is an odd fact that points to a problem in the overall system of who we target or what we offer.   

I think the staffs general idea of going for top end talent from HS and going portal for the rest is the logical and smart way to recruit.  

I didn’t want a 6 person freshman class anyway.  Haralson, Mullins, Moreno/Reibe/ Sisley would have been a nice 4 man class with room for 2 impact transfers. 

oh well. 

Essegian was the composite 225th best player.

Mullins may not be as good as Carlyle, but he's damn sure gonna be better than Essegian.

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

oh well. 

Maybe we need to focus on out of state recruits at this point

On paper we may have one of the most dynamic back courts in the country this season, and possibly more than just one season of them. They wanted to come play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

B1G Freshman of the year opted to return.

One of the most dominant big men in the country wanted to come play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

Home-bred impact shooter came BACK home to play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

Top 100 in-state recruit just committed without waiting for one of his buddies to commit first. And that's just this off season.

We can get basketball players. We will get basketball players. Staff/Woodson has finally admitted the need for a more dynamic and shooter friendly offense. If he can employ that, we should have a fun season to watch. An incoming Braylon Mullins and/or Eric Reibe would surely be icing on the cake, but I've also enjoyed my fair share of cake without any icing.

Whatever happens, we play on.

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Mullins may not be as good as Carlyle, but he's damn sure gonna be better than Essegian.

If Mullins is able to go to the NBA after one year, his value to U Conn would roughly be what Essegian's was to Wisconsin. 

Love to have Mullins.  If we don't get him, move on and find the next option regardless of whether it's recruit or portal.  I'm kind of done worrying about wanting to root for players that come in as freshman and play for four years at a school.  It's rare now.  I forget what percent of freshman enter the portal after one season, but it was a pretty significant percentage.

53 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah, I get that and probably. But he’s a Freahman afterall, evaluators miss both ways.  Nothing is ever guaranteed. Mullins is supposed to be the best shooter in the class and maybe that holds but I’ll bet McNeely translates faster than Mullins does.  

57 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

On paper we may have one of the most dynamic back courts in the country this season, and possibly more than just one season of them. They wanted to come play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

B1G Freshman of the year opted to return.

One of the most dominant big men in the country wanted to come play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

Home-bred impact shooter came BACK home to play for Mike Woodson's Indiana.

Top 100 in-state recruit just committed without waiting for one of his buddies to commit first. And that's just this off season.

We can get basketball players. We will get basketball players. Staff/Woodson has finally admitted the need for a more dynamic and shooter friendly offense. If he can employ that, we should have a fun season to watch. An incoming Braylon Mullins and/or Eric Reibe would surely be icing on the cake, but I've also enjoyed my fair share of cake without any icing.

Whatever happens, we play on.

Woodson has a lot of good players, they need a good coach. The talent is there and he brought in everyone of them so hopefully his approach with them is the right one and can get them to play well together.

i think many of us have our concerns he will do that. If Painter had our players they would be picked to win the bigten and top 5 in the country.

Coaches and media don’t have the same level of respect nor expectations for a Woodson coached team