Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2024 (F) Kanon Catchings and Whatever

On 6/8/2024 at 8:16 PM, TheWatShot said:

It'd be hilarious if he went to FSU or BYU and they knocked Purdue out of next year's tournament. 

While that would be hilarious indeed, I'm not entirely convinced that Purdue makes the tournament next year and would be even more amused if BYU or FSU were to knock them out of the NIT. 

36 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

While that would be hilarious indeed, I'm not entirely convinced that Purdue makes the tournament next year and would be even more amused if BYU or FSU were to knock them out of the NIT. 

I with you!  They aren’t the best team in the B10 by far but they have them ranked as the best team in most preseason polls.  Losing Edey is going to be a bigger lose than they are predicting and those 2 guards will comeback to earth now that they don’t have the jolly green giant to throw the ball to.  Everyone will be guarded regularly now and that will make them an average team

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I with you!  They aren’t the best team in the B10 by far but they have them ranked as the best team in most preseason polls.  Losing Edey is going to be a bigger lose than they are predicting and those 2 guards will comeback to earth now that they don’t have the jolly green giant to throw the ball to.  Everyone will be guarded regularly now and that will make them an average team

100% on this. I've seen them as high as preseason #2 nationally. Comical.

3 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

Culture doesn't graduate. They won't be top 5, but I could still see them being in the 15-20 range, and I think they'll still make the tournament comfortably even if they aren't anywhere close to a 1 seed. Loyer and Smith will still be a better backcourt than most Big Ten teams and if the Jacobsen kid is any good they're still going to win a lot. 

2 hours ago, iu-dl said:

100% on this. I've seen them as high as preseason #2 nationally. Comical.

Yes it is!  They think Braiden Smith and Fletcher Loyer are actually better than they really are.  The real truth will come out because they don’t have any low post player that will command a double and triple team every game.  They are decent players but they aren’t all big ten caliber players.  Yes, Braiden Smith was on one of the all B10 teams but his assists were mostly to Edey and they will decrease by a lot next season, IMO

6 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Wait, wut?! Choosing Purdoo at #2 in conference is wildly optimistic, but in the NATION? That is silly. 

I would like to see that link. That would surprise me - haven't seen anything like that.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I would like to see that link. That would surprise me - haven't seen anything like that.

Hmmm, can't find any as high as #2, but according to this link  they rank from 10th (including Andy Katz) to 18th.

Guess Catchings is gonna miss out on an epic season in East Berlin. 

19 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Culture doesn't graduate. They won't be top 5, but I could still see them being in the 15-20 range, and I think they'll still make the tournament comfortably even if they aren't anywhere close to a 1 seed. Loyer and Smith will still be a better backcourt than most Big Ten teams and if the Jacobsen kid is any good they're still going to win a lot. 

In a way, that's part of their problem since they can neither duplicate the way they played last year nor easily transition to a different style of play. Even if both Smith and Loyer significantly improve their play from last year, an extremely tall order without Edey, they're still going to need one or more freshmen to perform at a high level and/or one or more veterans to take major strides. Kauffman-Renn is probably going to have to carry a lot of the load offensively down low and I just don't see the mini-me version of bully ball working really well without Edey there to command the focus of the opposing defense. 

3 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

In a way, that's part of their problem since they can neither duplicate the way they played last year nor easily transition to a different style of play. Even if both Smith and Loyer significantly improve their play from last year, an extremely tall order without Edey, they're still going to need one or more freshmen to perform at a high level and/or one or more veterans to take major strides. Kauffman-Renn is probably going to have to carry a lot of the load offensively down low and I just don't see the mini-me version of bully ball working really well without Edey there to command the focus of the opposing defense. 

The Jacobsen kid can be a problem. Once he gets his footing and figures out college ball they can go right back to what they did with Edey. And he's more athletic with more range. Hopefully he doesn't put on much weight and can be pushed around down low.

4 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

The Jacobsen kid can be a problem. Once he gets his footing and figures out college ball they can go right back to what they did with Edey. And he's more athletic with more range. Hopefully he doesn't put on much weight and can be pushed around down low.

They can go back to the same style, but not necessarily the same results. They've had hulking dorks there forever, but Edey was the most capable and the rest of the team was built to compliment him. I don't think it will be plug n play with anyone else. 

4 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

They can go back to the same style, but not necessarily the same results. They've had hulking dorks there forever, but Edey was the most capable and the rest of the team was built to compliment him. I don't think it will be plug n play with anyone else. 

This is an interesting discussion for sure. I saw Jacobsen play in an EYBL game with Brewster vs. Link Academy... he obviously stands out being that tall, but he is super lanky. Early in the game he was getting pushed around by guys who were much shorter but stronger. After he got into a rhythm though... he had a very quiet 20/10 performance, or close to it. Was on the perimeter more than you'd think. They also liked playing through him in the high post, seems like an above average passer for his position. 

I don't think he'd ever be able to replicate Edey's dominance in the post, but I don't think that's his style either. I would expect Painter will use a few different wrinkles for him until he's ready to become the featured guy in the offense. And that offense would look fairly different from this past year's iteration. I think he will be a solid freshman and then a potentially big pain in the butt for a few years. They will definitely want him to put on some muscle, but not sure how much weight his frame can take... his lateral movement/agility was also way more fluid than Edey's. So he will be better where Edey was weak in terms of defending PnRs/getting caught in space. 

Not losing any sleep over him in particular though. Purdue with Painter will likely be formidable, but not as good as last year. It will take them a while to incorporate whatever Painter has learned from UConn/this past season. 

Captain Obvious statement, but replacing a 2X NPOY is going to be really tough. 

27 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

This is an interesting discussion for sure. I saw Jacobsen play in an EYBL game with Brewster vs. Link Academy... he obviously stands out being that tall, but he is super lanky. Early in the game he was getting pushed around by guys who were much shorter but stronger. After he got into a rhythm though... he had a very quiet 20/10 performance, or close to it. Was on the perimeter more than you'd think. They also liked playing through him in the high post, seems like an above average passer for his position. 

I don't think he'd ever be able to replicate Edey's dominance in the post, but I don't think that's his style either. I would expect Painter will use a few different wrinkles for him until he's ready to become the featured guy in the offense. And that offense would look fairly different from this past year's iteration. I think he will be a solid freshman and then a potentially big pain in the butt for a few years. They will definitely want him to put on some muscle, but not sure how much weight his frame can take... his lateral movement/agility was also way more fluid than Edey's. So he will be better where Edey was weak in terms of defending PnRs/getting caught in space. 

Not losing any sleep over him in particular though. Purdue with Painter will likely be formidable, but not as good as last year. It will take them a while to incorporate whatever Painter has learned from UConn/this past season. 

Captain Obvious statement, but replacing a 2X NPOY is going to be really tough. 

That's an informed, excellent post. From the (limited) game film I've watched of Jacobsen, I agree that he can absolutely be a plus player for Puredoo, but maybe not so much this year. I feel like this year's Purdud team will not nearly approach the pre-season love they're getting, but that when Jacobsen and Harris are sophomores, combined with Smith as a senior they could be dangerous.

4 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

It's an April article, but still. Oh. My. Goodness:

"Zach Edey is off to the NBA, but head coach Matt Painter won’t have to adjust much with freshman Will Berg, his 7-foot-2 Swedish center."

*hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

I can’t get over the narrative that just keeps growing here. They just lost maybe the most dominant college player of recent vintage, but, hey, there’s always another one. No, there’s not. The next kid is way, way more likely to be Haas or Haarms than Edey. And that would be fine, they were good college players. But Edey is singular. Ya ain’t replacin’ him.

While I agree, and I think I was one of the earliest touting the size and skill of Edey on this board. The closest thing to a “unicorn” college basketball has seen in my years.

Here’s the rub. Painter is just great. He is. His track record since the Mizzou, Scott brothers era has been nothing short of miraculous.

Haarms, Haas, Swanigan, Williams, Edey just off the top of my head with zero research. All problems of different degrees. He let Ivey run the show (too much probably). Until Purdue isn’t good, I’m convinced they will be very good.

I think Loyer and Smith are overrated and I hope we see that this season but who knows. Colvin might make a huge jump. Heide is much better than expected. Just like Benter is and will be. Furst and Kaufman can both play. Upperclassmen now. Expecting both of them to be better. Really hope they fall flat on their face but with Painter settling into his system I just think they’ve earned trust.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

13 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

LOL.  Guess as long as a kid is tall, we might as well assume that he can do what a 2X NPOY can do.  You can sell the kid as a 'Edey clone but with more range and athleticism' but I think I'll stay grounded here on planet Earth.  

His increase in ranking by 247 is pretty farcical.  On May 8th of this year his ranking increased 43 spots....which, for the first time, put him in the top 150 at 149.  Less than a month later on June 5th, he somehow magically climbed 97 spots to put him at 52.  Pretty funny to see that rise when there was no reason for it.  But check the composite ranking of all services -- which has very consistently put him near the same spot.  Since last November he's been between 132 and 162 in every composite ranking and he is currently at 144.  He just finished playing in the U18 America games and wasn't even in the US team's top five scorers.  But he's going to step in and do what Edey did?