Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It is amazing to me Woody didn’t try different starting 5s. It’s almost like he wanted 2 balanced 5 man units, lol. I would have loved to see X, Bates, Geronimo, Race, TJD after getting 6-8 games together under their belts. If we aren’t going to fire 3s don’t give majority minutes to guys that don’t hardly shoot them. Despite Bates numbers being down, his visible potential far exceeded anything Kopp and Stewart was doing. Those 2 plus Galloway should have rotated as starters until it got figured out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

sounds like he was doing what his NBA "consultants" told him to do.  

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It is amazing to me Woody didn’t try different starting 5s. It’s almost like he wanted 2 balanced 5 man units, lol. I would have loved to see X, Bates, Geronimo, Race, TJD after getting 6-8 games together under their belts. If we aren’t going to fire 3s don’t give majority minutes to guys that don’t hardly shoot them. Despite Bates numbers being down, his visible potential far exceeded anything Kopp and Stewart was doing. Those 2 plus Galloway should have rotated as starters until it got figured out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

We made the Big Dance!

Bates and Geronimo were on the floor with Xavier, TJD and Race quite a bit. Earlier in the season Bates and Geronimo weren't playing particularly well and hardly deserved to start. Bates took too many bad shots right up to the end of the season. Geronimo came into his own at the end of the season. The good news is next season we'll see a lot more of both of them.

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

We made the Big Dance!

And then lost by 30 when St. Mary’s started a 29-9 run after Mike Woodson took all our starters up when we were up 6 with 12 minutes in the first half. 

Classic! 

9 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Bates and Geronimo were on the floor with Xavier, TJD and Race quite a bit. Earlier in the season Bates and Geronimo weren't playing particularly well and hardly deserved to start. Bates took too many bad shots right up to the end of the season. Geronimo came into his own at the end of the season. The good news is next season we'll see a lot more of both of them.

•  

That combination most definitely was not on the floor ‘quite a bit’.  I’ve already stayed that JG, Race, and Trayce only played together a total of 14 minutes all year.  I can look up to see if the five you mentioned were ever on the court on the same time but it would surprise me if it were more than 5 minutes all year.

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would one extrapolate to the other?

Not until he learns you can't block every shot taken by the other team.

Love the aggressiveness but he has to temper it to stay on the floor.

I am as big a Galloway fan as there is on here -- personally I don't care whether he starts or comes off the bench.  It's more about minutes and line-up.  But he provides enough of a spark that on the 21-22 team he should have been getting 20 minutes per game at least.  IF he can develop a jump shot, he's a guy that it would be hard to take off the court.  That said, hopefully we have enough talent that he could continue in the 20 minute per game role.
Galloway is the new Aaron Craft.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

Not until he learns you can't block every shot taken by the other team.

Love the aggressiveness but he has to temper it to stay on the floor.

The comment was per minutes vs. per 40. They're basically the same.

I do too. He has tremendous physical abilities very few have. If he can develop in some areas and play between the guard rails he'll be fantastic. (I'm unsure if this actually happens after watching a few players this past season. Woody might just play him if he is breathing)

1 hour ago, Trish said:

And then lost by 30 when St. Mary’s started a 29-9 run after Mike Woodson took all our starters up when we were up 6 with 12 minutes in the first half. 

Classic! 

Wait... thats how you saw that game? Thats a real frustration for some of you? 

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So what? Boban Marjanović is a career 23/15 guy per 36 minutes. That doesn’t make him as good as Joel Embiid. I put far more stock in a player’s actual production than I do the per minute production of a player playing 10 mpg.. Geronimo is a per minute king, great. He wasn’t good enough to beat out Miller Kopp for a starting spot. He played well against Wyoming. That’s far more meaningful than his per minute/per 40 production.

So what? So - Geronimo wasn't competing with Kopp for minutes. Different positions, completely different players, completely irrelevant. And that's of course disregarding, as you are (if you even watched the games) that Woodson started and played Kopp and Stew in almost every game regardless of how well or poorly they were playing, because Woodson wanted shooting on the floor for spacing, and veterans . That's beyond obvious but apparently either lost on you, or disregarded, so you can bring yet another hypocritical argument here. 

And so --  Geronimo was clearly one of the best players on the team by year end, and that's why he played 19-21 MPG in the closing stretch and NCAA tourney. About 13 mpg coming into the UM game, then UM (19 min), Wyoming (19 min, and basically won us the game, 7-11, 7 boards, block and assist, key D), St Mary's (21 min). He's coming into next season as a likely 20-mpg plus player, not a 10 mpg player.

And so -- ignoring his advanced stats, with comparison to the full team, is just silly. Even just going with totals, disregarding his more limited minutes, he was 3rd in blocks, 3rd in FG%, 4th in boards, and 6th in overall scoring. Per 40 min and per 100 poss he was 2nd in blocks, 3d in boards, 3rd in FG%, and 4th in scoring. And those numbers are lower than the closing the stretch, when Woodson finally recognized his impact (and that's on Woodson). If you actually watched the games, you should have seen his "actual production" down the stretch and just how important he was to the team.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

•  

I agree that Bates and Geronimo should have played more, as should have Leal. I don’t think JG should have seen time at the 3 because he can’t guard guys with quickness and he struggles with handling the ball. He has so much potential, but he would have hurt us at the 3 IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think we should hear some more news about the roster here soon. Meetings are over, now it's about players deciding what they want to do. 

Not sure if you'd have any insight or not, but do you expect TJD to make a decision one way or another -- either a) I'm coming back; or b) I'm leaving school and that's it. ... Or could we be looking at a "I'm gonna enter the NBA draft and work out for NBA teams -- but not hire an agent so I can possibly come back" kind of deal? 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure if you'd have any insight or not, but do you expect TJD to make a decision one way or another -- either a) I'm coming back; or b) I'm leaving school and that's it. ... Or could we be looking at a "I'm gonna enter the NBA draft and work out for NBA teams -- but not hire an agent so I can possibly come back" kind of deal? 

I would hope the decision would be I'm going to test the waters and then decide but I don't know that for sure. 

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I agree that Bates and Geronimo should have played more, as should have Leal. I don’t think JG should have seen time at the 3 because he can’t guard guys with quickness and he struggles with handling the ball. He has so much potential, but he would have hurt us at the 3 IMO. 

Are we saying Kopp was able to guard guys with quickness and doesn't struggle handling the ball?

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Are we saying Kopp was able to guard guys with quickness and doesn't struggle handling the ball?

Not saying he didn’t, but I believe Kopp was better at the 3 than JG, even if I felt JG should have played more. I would have felt better with Race at the 3 and JG at the 4. It’s just an odd situation because we really didn’t have a great 3 spot this year with Bates being up and down while also not playing much. 

18 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Not saying he didn’t, but I believe Kopp was better at the 3 than JG, even if I felt JG should have played more. I would have felt better with Race at the 3 and JG at the 4. It’s just an odd situation because we really didn’t have a great 3 spot this year with Bates being up and down while also not playing much. 

I dislike the traditional positions because it's not really accurate these days. We have a PG, post, and various sized wings. I don't think Race and JG on the wing would have been any more detrimental than Kopp and P Stew.