Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

A lot of those guys are 5 inches shorter than JHS and still in college so I’m going to guess they would not have had nearly the same impact.  

By definition a transfer isn’t going to have the same impact as a one and done 

A player can be a very good college player who's game doesn't translate well to the pros. One and done players don't actually need to have great college seasons because they are drafted on potential rather than their college production. So a very good transfer can certainly have more impact than a one and done.

One advantage of a portal player versus a high school player is that the portal player has college experience and is more of a known quantity with less chance of being a miss. Even highly ranked high school kids can take time to get used to the college game and might never get there.

The portal should be where we fill surprise holes because of players leaving to go to the nba by surprise. Not building our roster

Exactly. You should not have to fill your roster in the spring. This year we may need five guys in the spring.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Using the portal to fill holes left by transfers or NBA departures is one thing.  Having to rely on it because you whiffed on most of your HS targets is another.

Just part of recruiting now.  If your program has a strong NIL, playing time available and connections it’s not really going to matter where the player comes from as long as you end up with one.  Fans can worry about the missing out of high school kids but I’m guessing the staff knows what they have to offer to transfers or other decomits.   Players will be available 

15 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Some IU fans while following recruiting:

panicking.gif

Wild ride same fans that will point out the whiffing on recruits probably the same fans that would have criticized staff if they would have taken Powell, Burgess and Perry’s commitment early.   No win situations    Recruiting is always entertaining 

50 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just part of recruiting now.  If your program has a strong NIL, playing time available and connections it’s not really going to matter where the player comes from as long as you end up with one.  Fans can worry about the missing out of high school kids but I’m guessing the staff knows what they have to offer to transfers or other decomits.   Players will be available 

Hmmm… Payton Sparks and Anthony Walker or many 75-150 ranked freshmen?

I know the answer to that one. We can take a few freshmen like that, but not many.

Now top 50 freshmen? Different story.

I won't sweat it one bit if we miss out on Queen. He's very good and I want him on IU, but we'll get guys.

We didn't even know who Mgbako was until like April of last year. The staff has shown they can get in on kids very quickly and land them.

Coaches will get fired at the end of the season and open up recruitments, portal transfer, and maybe we can flip Catchings after all.

Sucks to lose a kid you prioritize, but at least it's November and not April 2024.

56 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Some IU fans while following recruiting:

panicking.gif

What did you expect to happen after we landed A 5 star? "Good job"? "Way to go"? "Keep up the great work"? "Marry my daughter"?

You've got to remember that these are just simple complainers. These are people of the forums. The common clay of social media. 

I take it as a good indication that there is less than anticipated/hoped for to complain about this year's team so far. 

23 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

All true but doesn’t make him wrong - he’s been pretty darn accurate 

With picks right before they announce, yes.  He's good for making an official prediction a day or two before it happens.  Nothing wrong with that, but what you aren't hearing is an official prediction on Queen yet.

18 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

To his credit he rescinded his pick early yesterday, early.

As far as Queen goes, it isn’t over until it’s over. Maryland may well lead, but maybe we want him bad enough to make a strong offer. Who knows. But Trilly is a darn good judge of where a recruitment is at the moment. He hasn’t GIF’d it yet. Retain hope until GIF comes out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That's the one thing I do have a problem with Trilly on.....he makes a pick and then sometimes right before the pick is made someone leaks the official pick and he switches his pick.  

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Wild ride same fans that will point out the whiffing on recruits probably the same fans that would have criticized staff if they would have taken Powell, Burgess and Perry’s commitment early.   No win situations    Recruiting is always entertaining 

Correct. And I sort of hate the term “whiffing”, though it’s appropriate sometimes. Fland was probably a whiff. If Queen ends up at Maryland that’s not a whiff. The thing with him, unless you’re Duke, UK, KU and probably UNC, there’s a regional component to your strategy and every now and then there’s a kid you just can’t miss on if you fancy yourself the $hit. IU has 1 of them coming up with Jalen Haralson. You can’t miss on him. If he commits the staff will probably more relieved than euphoric. Queen’s a kid like that for Maryland. Been a top 10 kid for years. Everyone knows who he is. If they want to lock down St George’s County and the DMV, missing on him would be a gut punch because everyone there gets it. That’s why they’ve invested so much in him.  If IU gets Queen, they are kneecapping Maryland and that is a bad look for Willard, particularly if Cooley gets rolling. Long way of saying that getting Queen would be a hell of a pull, but the staff can do everything right here and just not be able overcome a lot of other factors. 

18 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

What did you expect to happen after we landed A 5 star? "Good job"? "Way to go"? "Keep up the great work"? "Marry my daughter"?

You've got to remember that these are just simple complainers. These are people of the forums. The common clay of social media. 

I take it as a good indication that there is less than anticipated/hoped for to complain about this year's team so far. 

“You know, morons”

That's the one thing I do have a problem with Trilly on.....he makes a pick and then sometimes right before the pick is made someone leaks the official pick and he switches his pick.  

That’s the thing though, he rarely does this. I mean, it’s all educated guessing until the staffs are told or Tipton is getting the edits ready.
Trilly has proven to be the best sourced “insider” in the sport universally even if he’s not 100%.

I think he’s hedging a bit on Queen because the decision isn’t public yet. I think Woodson is determined to build a great roster. I think the Admin and Nil are on board to try. I’m thankful for all of these developments.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app