Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Does this kid not have a D1 offer?  What else does he have to do?

The non-offer I don’t get at all is Akron. They shoot a ton of 3’s. He’s big and athletic enough to defend in the MAC. That just seems like the one. Also, Wright St really needs shooting. It’s a little strange. Maybe he’s waving these guys off waiting for a high major offer. 

Didn’t realize how close centerville is to Dayton.    Our hotel is in centerville for the night.  Cupps will be at the game tonight.   Looks like he could walk if he wanted to 

Look for Bills donuts in the morning. Best donuts and I grew up on longs.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Look for Bills donuts in the morning. Best donuts and I grew up on longs.

Wow.   Thanks for the recommendation.   Best donuts I’ve had in a while and like you I get longs a lot.    Got a 12 to take back to the kids and home.   To tie this to Gabe.  I’m guessing he will get some Bills donuts before his Big game Saturday 

Wow.   Thanks for the recommendation.   Best donuts I’ve had in a while and like you I get longs a lot.    Got a 12 to take back to the kids and home.   To tie this to Gabe.  I’m guessing he will get some Bills donuts before his Big game Saturday 

Kids went to college near Dayton and these were a must stop while in the area. I am sure the Cupps know about them but hopefully he avoids until he graduates

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

CONGRATULATIONS GABE!

Centerville junior point guard Gabe Cupps was named Mr. Basketball by the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Association on Friday.

The OHSBCA announced the award on Twitter. Cupps has helped lead the Elks back to Saturday’s Division I state semifinals in pursuit of a second straight championship.

Cupps was also chosen as player of the year in the Southwest District by the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association and is a candidate for their annual Mr. Basketball award.

Cupps averages 14 points and seven assists and shoots 45.1% from 3-point range. Before this season he committed to play college basketball at Indiana.

Previous Mr. OHSBCA winners from the Miami Valley are Franklin’s Luke Kennard (2014, 2015), Wayne’s Travis Trice (2011), Dayton Christian’s Romain Sato (2000), Troy’s Brooks Hall (1999), Trotwood-Madison’s Andre Horton (1997) and Springfield Catholic Central’s Jason Collier (1996).

As a junior who averages only 14 ppg?!?

Wow

Feel like we’ve gone around and around about player comps for Gabe and I don’t recall anyone saying this, but apologies if I’m inadvertently stealing someone’s idea:

he reminds me of a Jay Wright Villanova point guard.

Won’t floor you with measurables but he’s quick, shoots it, makes the right play, defends like heck, gonna seem like he’s been here forever before too long.

30 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Feel like we’ve gone around and around about player comps for Gabe and I don’t recall anyone saying this, but apologies if I’m inadvertently stealing someone’s idea:

he reminds me of a Jay Wright Villanova point guard.

Won’t floor you with measurables but he’s quick, shoots it, makes the right play, defends like heck, gonna seem like he’s been here forever before too long.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, Demo said:

For anyone looking to watch a Cupps game, this one has the added bonus of being Logan Duncomb’s last HS game. Small sample size rules apply, but a couple of thoughts: 1) I’d love to see his measurements, but I’m confident he has plus length. 2) He’s no Jakai Newton, very few are, but he’s a solid athlete. He moves well laterally. He changes direction easily. He has a quick little gear change. 3) He plays within their structure, almost to a fault. He takes a couple of open baseline drives, but otherwise he is hyper-disciplined playing within the offense. As a result, he doesn’t really create much, though his vision is clearly plus.  Will be really interesting to see how much more assertive he gets as he matures. 4) Don’t really have a comp for him off of a single viewing, but the comps I’ve seen in a few  places strike me as pretty far off. He seemed more in the vein of the Jay Wright Arcidiacono/Brunson/Gillespie PG lineage of super efficient, versatile kids who can play on or off the ball. 

Great minds thinking alike, and stuff. Watched him a bunch since then and am comfortable with that comp.

44 minutes ago, Demo said:

Great minds thinking alike, and stuff. Watched him a bunch since then and am comfortable with that comp.

Ok it makes sense that I’d read it somewhere. Nobody I’d rather think like on an amateur scout around here than Demo, so I’m feeling pretty good about this.

And geez, what a reason for optimism.

He ain’t ready for B1G yet. Another year or 2 of growth will make it less Lander-esque.

Physical maturity needed I get it but I also think he'd come in on day one with the highest bb IQ of anyone on the team and by quite a bit

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

In Centerville's state tournament semi-final game it leads St. Ignatius at the half 29-13.  It was 15-7 after 1Q.  I'm not watching so I have no idea if it's the pace of the game or that neither team is playing really well.

Centerville's Gabe Cupps is leaving up to that "Mr. Basketball" hype. The @chselksad junior has 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting (made both FTs too). He also has two assists and a steal. He had a turnover on the first play of the game but is clean since.