Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

Cupps' stats for last night's blowout.  No idea on how many minutes he played but he had 5p  1r  9a  1s  0b  0t.    At a minimum, his 9 assists outscored Tecumseh's final score.  

Next up is a March 6, matchup vs. West Chester Lakota West for the Southwest 4 Sectional/District championship.  

Centerville won its Sunday game 80-53 over Lakota West.  They'll face Fairmont on Wednesday night at 8:00 in a regional semi-final game.  Cupps had 17 pts,. and Rich Rolf had 10.  Cupps full stat line still not updated on the conference website.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Centerville won its Sunday game 80-53 over Lakota West.  They'll face Fairmont on Wednesday night at 8:00 in a regional semi-final game.  Cupps had 17 pts,. and Rich Rolf had 10.  Cupps full stat line still not updated on the conference website.

I know I have probably missed it but do they have a stream for his games? I know Indiana does at least for the state tournament games

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cupps' full stat line from last Sunday:  17 pts on 8-12 FG; 1-3 on 3s; 0 FT; 4 reb; 5 asst; 0 stl; 0 blk; 0 TO.

Rich Rolf 10 pts. on 4-10 FG; 1-6 on 3s; 1-2 FT; 9 reb; 4 asst; 2 stl; 2 blk; 1 TO.

No idea how many minutes either played but it was a 43-12 halftime score so........

Cupps made 1 really uncharacteristic play in the 1st half: brought the ball up after a made basket and just jacked up a 27 footer, which he missed, without running any offense at all. Carsen Edwards would have been proud. And Dad immediately yanked him.

Good game tonight between Centerville and Fairmont with Fairmont leading 23-21 at halftime.  Centerville came out flat to start the  game and trailed 15-8 after 1, and the Fairmont lead grew to 21-10 with 5:27 left in the 2nd and then Centerville shifted up a gear especially with its defense.   Cupps had 2 TOs in the first half and I think he was just 2-6 FG.  Rich Rolf has 10 pts. for Centerville.

Centerville escapes 44-42 on a basket by Tom House at the buzzer.  Harry Houdini would be proud.  Detailed stat lines should be available tomorrow.  Cupps 13p  3a  3t        Centerville plays again on Saturday.

Rolf had 19p and 8r.

Centerville escapes 44-42 on a basket by Tom House at the buzzer.  Harry Houdini would be proud.  Detailed stat lines should be available tomorrow.  Cupps 13p  3a  3t        Centerville plays again on Saturday.
Rolf had 19p and 8r.

About 1:30 to go, up 1. Cupps drives to the basket, gets fouled and converts an and 1. Puts them up 4. Long story short. Game becomes tied, I believe it was cupps that penetrated and kicked to House, defense recovered quick and house hits a tough 16-17 footer for the win

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

About 1:30 to go, up 1. Cupps drives to the basket, gets fouled and converts an and 1. Puts them up 4. Long story short. Game becomes tied, I believe it was cupps that penetrated and kicked to House, defense recovered quick and house hits a tough 16-17 footer for the win

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Correct. Of their last 4 baskets he scored 2 and assisted 2. Also, if you watched the game, when was the last time you saw a single ref just take a game over like that? He was loving the attention. Teddy would be proud.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Last night's final sequence.

THAT was a stellar pass under pressure. With a split second decision. 

4* physical ability.

5* mental ability.

With a 55-39 win over Fairfield, Centerville is the Southwest D-I Regional Champ, 28-0, 44 in a row.  Elks will play St. Ignatius on Saturday.

No details on player stats other than a couple of tweets that said Cupps had 7p in the 3rd Q and Rich Rolf 22p for the game.  Should be able to get more in the morning.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With a 55-39 win over Fairfield, Centerville is the Southwest D-I Regional Champ, 28-0, 44 in a row.  Elks will play St. Ignatius on Saturday.

No details on player stats other than a couple of tweets that said Cupps had 7p in the 3rd Q and Rich Rolf 22p for the game.  Should be able to get more in the morning.

Cupps with 11

Dayton Daily News -

On Wednesday, the Elks had their worst shooting night of the season and escaped Fairmont on a last-second shot by Tom House. On Saturday, the Elks dribbled out the final seconds of a 55-39 victory over Fairfield on their way back to the state final four.

The top-ranked and defending state champion Elks (28-0) take their 44-game winning streak into an 8:30 p.m. semifinal next Saturday at UD Arena against Cleveland St. Ignatius (17-11), which lost in the state semifinals last year. The other semifinal is at 5:15 p.m. between Lakewood St. Edward (21-5) and Pickerington Central (24-2). The final is Sunday, March 20, at 8:30 p.m.

Last year and this year are Centerville’s only trips to state, so Cupps says he doesn’t take district or regional titles for granted.

“It’s hard as hell to get here and you don’t forget that,” he said. “So we’re grateful for the opportunity, and I’m glad I get to practice with these guys for another week. That’s the best part.”

The Elks returned the core of last year’s team led by 6-foot-7 seniors Tom House and Rich Rolf and junior point guard Gabe Cupps. They played the toughest schedule in the state to prepare for this week.

“I’m definitely proud of my team,” Rolf said. “I’m definitely proud of how far we’ve come, but we still have a job to do.”

After the Fairmont game, Brook Cupps gave a lot of credit to the Firebirds for making it difficult on the Elks. And he knew his team needed a confidence boost. So after watching film of the Fairmont game, he showed them a playlist of highlights from the season he titled “This is Us.”

“That’s something we really needed,” House said. “And that shows growth in him too, because that was a big thing. I feel like last round that Fairmont took us out of our confidence. And we felt better today.”

Cupps said, “Mentally it reminds you and gets you in the right frame of mind of what we’re capable of. I think that positive inner voice is a big deal.”

Rolf led the Elks with 22 points and 11 rebounds, while House scored 12 and Cupps had 11 and four assists. And it was Rolf’s two 3-pointers for a 6-3 lead that set the tone for a night when they would shoot a more customary 48.7%, make 7 of 16 3-pointers and lead 16-7 after the first quarter.

“It definitely helped our confidence,” House said. “The rest of our team ended up playing better because of just of how we approached the start of the game. It was good to see the first couple of shots go down for sure.”

The crowd that filled the bottom half of the Cintas Center and leaked into the upper deck was immediately into the game. But the Elks weren’t the only energized team. Fairfield (23-5) rallied with an 8-0 run to tie the score at 20.

But the Elks took the momentum back on two 3-point plays by Rolf to lead 26-20 at halftime. The second came with 1.1 seconds left when Gabe Cupps lobbed a pass on in inbounds play from the baseline in front of the basket and Rolf tipped it in at the buzzer, was fouled and made the free throw.

“Coach Cupps drew that up just now,” Rolf said. “That’s the first time I’ve ever seen that play. I thought it was going to work but I didn’t know if it would work the first time.”

The Elks led 39-29 after three and built the lead to 45-29 with an 11-0 run to start the fourth. The Indians rallied to 45-37 with 2:54 left, but the Elks finished with an 8-2 run.

“Our guys came in and played with a freedom and just played ball,” Brook Cupps said. “It was fun to see the joy they play with.”

34 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Does this kid not have a D1 offer?  What else does he have to do?

I believe he was originally a Drexel commit, but it looks like that was his only D1 offer unless he very recently got more.