Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

Another nice piece of video from last night.  1 little thing for him to clean up, and I’m sure he will,  is that he tends to lose awareness of the 3 point line when he’s working a guy with the dribble. Happens twice in this clip and he ends up taking the shot on the line. Have seen him do it probably a dozen times in different settings. Easy fix. 

OTRHoopsReport: Tip-Off Classic Standouts – 11/23/21

It should be discouraging for opponents in the state of Georgia that the core of this Newton County team will be around for another year after this one. Newton, an Indiana commit, is at the heart of what makes this team special. In many ways he is the fuel that makes this engine burn so hotly. He finished with 19 points in the win over Norcross. He is a high energy scorer that attacks the basket with intensity. He is a superb athlete who can also split time as a playmaker at the top of the key in coach Charlemagne Gibbon’s offense. The Newton-Castle 1-2 punch will be hard for any defense to contain this year.

Rabjohns  -- Man, Indiana 2023 commit Jakai Newton (@jakai_newton) really knows how to compete. Made a bunch of plays late to lead Newton to an 82-77 win over traditional power McEachern. Does things that do show up in the stats and things that don’t show up in the stats

Rabjohns  -- Man, Indiana 2023 commit Jakai Newton (@jakai_newton) really knows how to compete. Made a bunch of plays late to lead Newton to an 82-77 win over traditional power McEachern. Does things that do show up in the stats and things that don’t show up in the stats

I suppose he had additional details on the site but would love some details on what the bunch of play’s consisted of

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I suppose he had additional details on the site but would love some details on what the bunch of play’s consisted of

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This is from The Daily Hoosier; link to full story is in the above post.

“Jakai Newton is a pure scorer who’s always in attack mode,” Markwith wrote.  “The Indiana commit finished with 17 points & 5 rebounds but his 17 points were all loud buckets that got the crowd on their feet.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I wonder how these teams would fair in Indiana. I know they obviously have some amazing athletes, but there is absolutely no defense being playing in that highlight clip.  I'm sure more of their games would translate then I think, but I can't hardly stand watching a high school game with no defense being played....I'm pretty old spirited for a 33 year old I guess lol.

It was hyped as a battle of unbeatens but Newton had a double digit lead at the half and never looked back beating Rockdale County 74 - 40.  12 pts, 4 rbs, 4 stl, 1 ast, 1 TO, 5-of-10 from the floor, 2-of-4 on FTs. Missed both 3s.

Last night Newton (7-0) defeated Eastside 60 - 50.  Newton led much of the game by 15+ but sloppy play by the bench in the 4th made it look closer.  Jakai was limited due to foul trouble.  He picked up 2 in the first quarter and #3 only 3 min. into the 3rd.  I don't think he probably was on the court for much more than 16 minutes in total.  He finished with 8 points on 4-8 FG; 0-2 on 3s; 0 FT; 2 reb; 2 asst.  Newton plays a very aggressive man-to-man defense and frequently traps.  They also play a fast paced game and push the ball after every defensive rebound.  

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Last night Newton (7-0) defeated Eastside 60 - 50.  Newton led much of the game by 15+ but sloppy play by the bench in the 4th made it look closer.  Jakai was limited due to foul trouble.  He picked up 2 in the first quarter and #3 only 3 min. into the 3rd.  I don't think he probably was on the court for much more than 16 minutes in total.  He finished with 8 points on 4-8 FG; 0-2 on 3s; 0 FT; 2 reb; 2 asst.  Newton plays a very aggressive man-to-man defense and frequently traps.  They also play a fast paced game and push the ball after every defensive rebound.  

Really wish Jakai didn't share a name with his HS. I never know where your sentences are going to end up when I read "Newton" early on.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:15 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NHS (8-0) remains undefeated with an 85 - 62 win over Greenforest.  Jakai with 21 pts. on 7-9 FG; 3-3 on 3s; 4-4 FT; 8 reb; 1 asst; 1 blk; 3 TO.  Another game tonight. 

Here's a Jakai-light video from Fridays game.