Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

Extended team oriented clip from the scrimmage on Tuesday. #1 is Qua Brown, who just committed to Tom Crean. #2 is Stephen Castle, who has Arkansas and Auburn among his finalists. And they’re all juniors. Just stupid to watch. Gonna be 10 kinds of pissed if their games aren’t all streamed somewhere.  

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

Extended team oriented clip from the scrimmage on Tuesday. #1 is Qua Brown, who just committed to Tom Crean. #2 is Stephen Castle, who has Arkansas and Auburn among his finalists. And they’re all juniors. Just stupid to watch. Gonna be 10 kinds of pissed if their games aren’t all streamed somewhere.  

Jakai has a world-class strong base. Uses it to stomp his feet and step back really well. Also should be an outstanding on ball defender. He's an athlete, and a brick wall of a guard.

Pair him up with lanky Bates and tall, strong JHS and we could have a very special set of guards. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Jakai has a world-class strong base. Uses it to stomp his feet and step back really well. Also should be an outstanding on ball defender. He's an athlete, and a brick wall of a guard.

Pair him up with lanky Bates and tall, strong JHS and we could have a very special set of guards. 

In theory that would be fantastic. We'll see if those 3 ever step on the court together. I'd love it if they do. 

Bates and JHS together will, I think, finally give me the guard pair I’ve been clamoring for. Newton would fit great with them if it works that way. But, heck I’m happy with Bates/JHS. I just want to see a confident Hoosier outside of TJD. We’ve got 1 with confidence/dominance.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Bates and JHS together will, I think, finally give me the guard pair I’ve been clamoring for. Newton would fit great with them if it works that way. But, heck I’m happy with Bates/JHS. I just want to see a confident Hoosier outside of TJD. We’ve got 1 with confidence/dominance.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

By next season Jordan G is gonna be a strong candidate to be that guy too.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

By next season Jordan G is gonna be a strong candidate to be that guy too.

I hope you're right.  Needs to show that he can shoot with consistency.  JMHO.  Young man has great athleticism.  I just want to see him score with a jump shot regularly.

Season preview from the local newspaper.

The Rams advanced to the Sweet 16 last seasons, after reaching the Elite Eight in 2020, and the good news for coach Charlemagne Gibbons is that essentially his whole team from last season returns this winter.

“We’re looking to give ourselves a chance to be in the Final Four and win a state championship,” said Gibbons, now in his third season leading Newton. 

The team’s top three returners are junior guard Jakai Newton (11 points per game, 7 rebounds per game in 2021), who recently committed to Indiana, junior guard Stephon Castle (14 ppg,5 rpg), a highly decorated recruit, and junior guard/forward Marquavious Brown (10 ppg. 6rpg), another rising star who just committed to the Georgia Bulldogs.

“They’ve been playing together since they were freshmen, and a couple of them have been starting since they were freshmen or have been in the rotation since the ninth grade,” said Gibbons. “This is a great opportunity for them to advance to the state finals.” 

Gibbons was adamant that Rams games are likely to resemble track meets this season. 

“It’s as fast as possible,” he said. “We’re going to trap you and try to play as fast as we can. It puts a premium on conditioning and depth, because we’ve got a lot of guys. I expect to play eight or nine guys every night. We’ve got a good crew of young guys, so this ain’t the end of the well for us.” 

After leading by 20 at the half, Norcross scored the first 7 pts. of the second half but could never get any  closer.  Newton wins 83-67.  'Tis the season for my officially unofficial scorecards.  I had Jakai with 16 pts. on 6-16 FG; 2-6 on 3s; 2-3 FT; 7 reb; 5 asst; 3 stl; 2 TO; 2 blk.

Georgia uses a 35 second shot clock.  I thought the game was much more physical than a typical Indiana high school game and Jakai doesn't shy away from contact so the B1G shouldn't be a big change for him.  The Rams also plays a very up tempo game and fast breaked at every opportunity.  To me he seemed extremely quick with good reaction time and good handles.

On The Radar Hoops -- 

Jakai Newton | 6-4 | SG | Newton | 2023 (signed with Indiana)

Stamped his own place as a major player to watch despite the tremendous talent around him in Covington, and it was easy to see why during the summer as he was nearly unguardable at times. Has that great gift of swift pace to explode by you yet has such a high IQ as a scorer he can back it off and pick you apart with his multi-level scoring talent. Physical and fleet-afoot as a defender, he will be tremendous over his last 2 seasons with the Rams and a big-time contributor in the Big Ten with the Hoosiers.