Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Unlikely but maybe Tommy Lloyd? Granted Arizona is a basketball school but the athletic department is broke right now. They just lost their football coach since they wouldn't match his contract. Offer him like 5.5 million and he's getting a big raise. He's shown he can win big at this level. Obviously needs some more post season success but I think that is more random than consistent regular season success. Plus it would make Jeff Goodman furious which is always fun. 

Outbidding Arizona is how UW got Jedd Fisch. Like you said they're a basketball school though so they may find some money for him.

5 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Unlikely but maybe Tommy Lloyd? Granted Arizona is a basketball school but the athletic department is broke right now. They just lost their football coach since they wouldn't match his contract. Offer him like 5.5 million and he's getting a big raise. He's shown he can win big at this level. Obviously needs some more post season success but I think that is more random than consistent regular season success. Plus it would make Jeff Goodman furious which is always fun. 

Lloyd is going to replace Few at Gonzaga I would think. Will probably happen in the next 5 years unless Gonzaga wins a title sooner.

6 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

thank you for not attacking my lack of basketball IQ 

I don’t think there was anything in your post resembling that…I just disagree about Crean. And like Tony Bennett (obviously)!   :)

Thank you for the compliment, though. 

18 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

5.5? Nah. Offer him 8.5. Good luck Zona.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

5.5? Nah. Offer him 8.5. Good luck Zona.

The last time we supposedly had this much money lined up for a coach, we had a now NBA exec “all but sign the piece of paper” and ended up with a 62 year old NBA assistant a decade removed from being a head coach.

What could go wrong this time around?

8 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

The last time we supposedly had this much money lined up for a coach, we had a now NBA exec “all but sign the piece of paper” and ended up with a 62 year old NBA assistant a decade removed from being a head coach.

What could go wrong this time around?

Hey now! That 62 year old ex NBA assistant was a former Indiana player. That means he’s qualified to run the program. 

Hey now! That 62 year old ex NBA assistant was a former Indiana player. That means he’s qualified to run the program. 
Yep at least that is what buckner told me!!!

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Let's keep in mind while discussing potential candidates our list of previous hires and who could actually win here. Davis, sampson, crean,Archie Woodson. Only one of those guys talent wise had the credentials to actually be hired here imo. Only 1 has moved on and showed yes indeed does have what it takes. Davis probably has been second best so far. Think about that! Something to think about

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

If Woodson doesn't work out maybe we hire Kent Benson? I think maybe go a little older this time

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I wonder how that’s calculated. Looks like you get some points for beating up inferior competition. I think any list that doesn’t have Tony Bennett in the top ten is a little suspect. In the last ten seasons in the same conference as legends at Duke and UNC, he won at least a share of the conference 6x and an NCAA title.  

He’s from the midwest and still heavily recruits here. And it seems uva is struggling a little in the new NiL/transfer era, so I wouldn’t even be surprised if a big school could make a run at him.

But in the never ending saga of IU f-ups apparently we made an enemy of the Bennetts by firing his sister. If this program didn’t have bad luck, we wouldn’t have any luck at all. Lol

It was only for the last 4 seasons and so far this season, so it wouldn't account for the 6 prior seasons for Bennett that you mentioned. 

Definitely not an end all be all. Based on team performance doesn't account for taking over a terrible program/team and improving them substantially in year 1, it would just look at year 1 performance vs. the rest of the teams.

https://adamcwisports.blogspot.com/p/every-possession-counts.html

10 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If Woodson doesn't work out maybe we hire Kent Benson? I think maybe go a little older this time

I've already prepared myself for the amount of mental gymnastics that will be on full display once Dolson inevitably promotes Calbert Cheaney here in the next year or two. Hell those same people have convinced themselves that Dusty May is the next Brad Stevens and if you didn't know, Brad Stevens was once interested in the job and he was coming here until he didn't.

3 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Honestly I just want coach who's able to recognize what's not working.  There's nothing wrong with having the wrong game plan. but the stubbornness to not change something for the sake of pride and ego ticks me off.

I'll go one further, just hire a coach who won't tolerate low bball IQ or players who don't play hard/tough. 

10 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I've already prepared myself for the amount of mental gymnastics that will be on full display once Dolson inevitably promotes Calbert Cheaney here in the next year or two. Hell those same people have convinced themselves that Dusty May is the next Brad Stevens and if you didn't know, Brad Stevens was once interested in the job and he was coming here until he didn't.

Easy speaking about my family like that. For one CC doesn't want or has never wanted to be a head coach. He doesn't want to even be an assistant. He's happy wth player development.

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Easy speaking about my family like that. For one CC doesn't want or has never wanted to be a head coach. He doesn't want to even be an assistant. He's happy wth player development.

It shows.  Our players know how to shoot and play D just like he did.

38 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Let's keep in mind while discussing potential candidates our list of previous hires and who could actually win here. Davis, sampson, crean,Archie Woodson. Only one of those guys talent wise had the credentials to actually be hired here imo. Only 1 has moved on and showed yes indeed does have what it takes. Davis probably has been second best so far. Think about that! Something to think about

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

and that one person will be a HOF coach!