Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Yea to Fife, Enfield, Wes Miller?  

No to Drew?
You do want Indiana to win games, right?

Yep, but Drew is slimy. Can’t get over past comments and behavior. The whole recruiting and interviews from his church hits me really wrong. I’m absolutely fine giving anyone w character a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

29 minutes ago, Treesh said:

He said he thought it would take four years. 

to be fair of course!

We should have never hired him then if that was his thinking going in. He inherited a fringe ncaa tourney team. No reason he shouldn’t have things humming by now 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

We should have never hired him then if that was his thinking going in. He inherited a fringe ncaa tourney team. No reason he shouldn’t have things humming by now 

Oats said he thought it would take him 4 years is what he is saying 

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Archie didn’t inherit the roster Bruce Weber got from Self at Illinois but he got a perfectly normal high major coaching change situation. One year of Rob Johnson, two of Juwan Morgan, three of De’Ron Davis and Devonte Green, plus he chose to try and succeed to keep Al Durham, Justin Smith, and Clifton Moore. That’s perfectly fine and I’m soooo sick of the idea it was uniquely bad. It’s better than what Underwood got, similar to what Oats got...

Exactly, not many coaches walking into a job with a title contender so for Archie to have a fringe ncaa caliber team his first year is a pretty solid jumping off point

12 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Yep, but Drew is slimy. Can’t get over past comments and behavior. The whole recruiting and interviews from his church hits me really wrong. I’m absolutely fine giving anyone w character a chance.

I get that but if it gets past the top tier guys I would absolutely give Drew a look. Dolson has been involved in college hoops long enough that he knows who to go to so that he can find out if Drew is a high character guy or just a character. 

Most consider the SEC to be a league where coaches regularly cut corners but most of us would be comfortable with giving Oats a look. Billy D is a Pitino disciple and yet we would welcome him. 

I want a guy to come in and not only win but to build a strong culture and an identity. One that bridges the past but also builds into the future. I want a coach that can be here in 10 years and over that time we had several top 4 BT finishes which should also mean we have several teams that could win it all. 

I think there are a lot of guys who can probably do that.  I am not sure they can all do it at IU which makes it hard to get transfers in but hopefully the next guy can. 

Oats...yes
Drew...yes
Mack...yes
Stevens....yes
Donovan....yes
Beard....yes
Musselman...yes
Pearl...no
Matta...no
Alford.... no 
Stuhoo’s Gates....no
Beilein..... no
Fife...no
Enfield.....no
Wes Miller...no Sampson...yes

Enjoy reading these.

Gotta admit, seeing Stuhoo’s Gates each time makes me laugh a little.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, mamasa said:

What do you mean by "interviews from his church"?

31 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

Yet, no vote of confidence or statement that CAM will be back...

I think we will have a statement tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not bad news but I would brace yourself just in case.

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Who’s the better candidate

Oats or Mussleman?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Musselman because he is more proven as a coach. An assistant and head coach in the NBA. I love Oats but his new contract make him untouchable, so Musselman. Plus IU needs someone who is experienced and Musselman has that. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think we will have a statement tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not bad news but I would brace yourself just in case.

Even if it's one of those statements that is worded in a positive tone, could they still fire him? 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They HAVE to. Really at risk of losing a lot of fans. Heck, they’ve already lost a ton.

Or we find out how much they really care.

If it's one of those "Archie is our guy and we believe in him" I will throw up. That would be it for me. 

They HAVE to. Really at risk of losing a lot of fans. Heck, they’ve already lost a ton.

There is no need to say anything if we aren’t firing him. I can’t imagine a presser that states we have full confidence in Archie. Not true and no need to say that 

What do you mean by "interviews from his church"?

Not sure if he still does this, but he used to give high profile interviews from the pews of his church. Felt like a snake oil salesman crossed with a televangelist.

They've already shown how much they care, zilch.  If they did they wouldn't be okay with paying Miller 3 mil to be worse than Mike Davis.