Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

11 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Interesting short article about NIL money in the "Big Ten" although only 3 teams are actually mentioned: Link

This is news to me, I thought Purdoo was struggling in NIL? 

Purdue and Illinois are said to have the Big Ten’s largest men’s basketball NIL budgets, about $2.5 million a year. Insiders say the Gophers’ men’s basketball NIL budget is barely one-fourth of that. 

I guess they missed the Memo ours was 4-6M this season?

I do think a lot of schools doubled theirs this offseason.  I don't know what we were at before probably around 2.5-3M.

2 hours ago, reconmkd said:

$2 million for a transfer with 1 year of eligibility left? Wow, the B1G is dropping the bags!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40137329/great-osobor-transferring-washington-big-nil-deals

I guess it's good he committed after the portal was closed. Otherwise there would probably be a bunch of players entering or re-entering the portal to get a better deal if that guy can get $2M. I haven't seen him play but he's the MWC POY so he's good but $2M good? Probably not. 

On 5/13/2024 at 12:07 PM, go iu bb said:

I guess it's good he committed after the portal was closed. Otherwise there would probably be a bunch of players entering or re-entering the portal to get a better deal if that guy can get $2M. I haven't seen him play but he's the MWC POY so he's good but $2M good? Probably not. 

I also feel like he better be worth it, or I'm guessing his teammates aren't going to be too happy they're making a fraction of what he is. I can't imagine UW's NIL is $5M+.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:07 AM, go iu bb said:

He's not.  Most say he should go by Pretty Good Osomor and not Great Osomor.

He's a solid player but not a guy who should be at the top of NIL.  247 ranked him as the 7th best player in the portal, On3 had him 15th.

Other signees today:

Syzmon Zapala (Longwood), 7'0", signed with Michigan State.  One year of elibility.  Averaged 9.8 points and 5.6 rebounds in just 16.7 minutes at Longwood, but prior to that played three years at Utah State and scored only 53 total points three seasons.

Mohamed Wague (Alabama), 6'10", committed to Oklahoma.  Third team in three years, played at West Virginia as a freshman and then Alabama last year.  Bit player but in the rotation at both places, averaging 9.5 minutes, 3.6 points, and 2.8 rebounds over two seasons.

Kasean Pryor (South Florida), 6'10" forward, commits to Louisville.  After doing absolutely nothing Boise State for two seasons, went back and played JUCO and then transferred to South Florida and had a breakout year.  Good pickup.  Averaged 13 points and 7.9 rebounds.  Solid outsider shooter as well, making 37 of 105 threes (35%).

Other note --

Ashton Hardaway transferred away from Memphis and his dad and committed to St. Mary's.  Played in 30 games at Memphis averaging 8.3 minutes and 2.3 points, mostly as a stretch forward.

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Other signees today:

Syzmon Zapala (Longwood), 7'0", signed with Michigan State.  One year of elibility.  Averaged 9.8 points and 5.6 rebounds in just 16.7 minutes at Longwood, but prior to that played three years at Utah State and scored only 53 total points three seasons.

Mohamed Wague (Alabama), 6'10", committed to Oklahoma.  Third team in three years, played at West Virginia as a freshman and then Alabama last year.  Bit player but in the rotation at both places, averaging 9.5 minutes, 3.6 points, and 2.8 rebounds over two seasons.

Kasean Pryor (South Florida), 6'10" forward, commits to Louisville.  After doing absolutely nothing Boise State for two seasons, went back and played JUCO and then transferred to South Florida and had a breakout year.  Good pickup.  Averaged 13 points and 7.9 rebounds.  Solid outsider shooter as well, making 37 of 105 threes (35%).

Other note --

Ashton Hardaway transferred away from Memphis and his dad and committed to St. Mary's.  Played in 30 games at Memphis averaging 8.3 minutes and 2.3 points, mostly as a stretch forward.

Awkward dinner table for the Hardaway's.

Top uncommitted players in the portal, according to On3 and 247.  After (assuming) Hatton commits, I would not expect IU to be any kind of player in the following players as we would be down to the 13th scholarship with every single starter and primary backup positions filled.

On3 rating first, 247 second.

• 6.  Jamir Watkins, 6'7" SF, Florida State.  (247:  10)
  • 8.  Chaz Lanier, 6'4" SG, North Florida  (247:  11)
  • 14. Cam Christie, 6'5" SG, Minnesota  (247:  16)
  • 18.  Coleman Hawkins, 6'10" PF, Illinois (I assume he will stay in the draft)  (247:  24)
  • 24.  Jaylen Wells, 6'8" SF, Washington State  (247: 15)
  • 26. JT Toppin, 6'7" PF, New Mexico  (247:  28)
  • 38. Wooga Poplar, 6'4" SG, Miami  (247:  19)
  • 42.  Dillon MItchell, 6'7" SF, Texas (247:  22)
  • 51. DJ Wagner, Jr, 6'3" PG, Kentucky  (247:  38)
  • 53. Trevon Brazile, 6'7" PF, Arkansas  (247:  41)
  • 84. Ven-Allen Lubin, 6'8" PF, Vanderbilt (not in 247's top 100)
  • 86. Achor Achor, 6'9" PF, Samford  (not in 247's top 100)
  • 88.  A.J. Hoggard, 6'3" PG, Michigan State  (not in 247's top 100)
  • 89.  Arthur Kaluma, 6'8" PF, Kansas  State  (not in 247's top 100)
  • 90.  Miles Kelly, 6'6" CG, Georgia Tech  (247:  66)
  • 92. Chris Ledlum, 6'6" SF, St. John's (pending lawsuit against NCAA)  (247:  75)
  • 94. Riley Kugel, 6'5" SG, Florida  (not in 247's top 100)

Jaxson Robinson, BYU, SF, is ranked 36th by 247 but does not appear in On3's database.

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They’ll have talent and an energetic young coach. Should have a nice bounceback season.  Will be interesting to see how Kelsey does with his Bag.  

No team will look more different than they did last year -- all 13 players from their team transferred out -- but I'm not sure the even got more talent in than out (although Rooths might make it an even)  They'll be better if for no other reason than Payne isn't the coach anymore and there is something to be said in a good coach being able to start with a clear slate with players he thinks fits his system.

Players transferring in and their 247 portal ranking:

• Terrance Edwards Jr, 6'6" CG from James Madison.  ranked 81st in the portal
  • Chucky Hepburn, 6'1" PG from Wisconsin.  ranked 105th in the portal
  • Koren Johnson, 6'2" CG from Washington.  147th in portal.
  • Ali Khalifa, 6'11" C from BYU.  170th in the portal.  I thought I heard that they were going to redshirt him this year.
  • Aboubacar Traore, 6'7" SF from Long Beach State.  188th in the portal
  • J'Vonne Hadley, 6'6" SG from Colorado.  221st in the portal.
  • Reyne Smith, 6'2" SG from Charleston.  276th in the portal.
  • James Scott, 6'10" C from Charleston.  277th in the portal
  • Kasean Pryor, 6'10" CF from South Florida.  286th in the portal. (I think he's tremendously underrated by 247)
  • Kobe Rodgers, 6'3" CG from Charleston.  Unranked.
  • Khani Rooths, 6'8" PF, class of 2024.  33rd in class.

Players transferring out and their 247 portal ranking:

• Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, 6'10" C.  ranked 55th in portal
  • Skyy Clark 6'3" PG.  ranked 93rd in portal
  • Mike James, 6'6" SF.  152nd in portal
  • Tre White, 6'7" SF.  157th in portal
  • Kaleb Glenn, 6'6" SF.  166th in portal
  • Dennis Evans, 7'1" C, 168th in portal (health is a concern)
  • Ty-Laur Johnson, 6'0" PG  170th in portal
  • Curtis Williams Jr, 6'5" SF.  193rd in portal
  • J.J. Traynor, 6'8" PF.  198th in portal
  • Emmanuel Okorafor, 6'9" C.  442nd in portal
  • Danillo Javanovich, 6'8" PF.  unranked
  • Koron Davis, 6'6" SG.  unranked
  • Hercy Miller, 6'3" PG.  unranked

Seydoure Traore commits to Iowa.  Strange player.  Has three years of eligibility left.  Seen him listed as a guard on the Manhattan roster and a power forward by 247.  Cut out the middle man, he's probably a small forward.  6'7".  Averaged 11.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.3 blocks as a freshman.  Very un-Iowa like, good athlete but questionable shooting mechanics.  Very slow three point release and was only 23 of 90 from deep.  One of those players who could be very successful or completely flop.

Solid pickup for TCU -- Trazarien White from UNC-Wilmington.  6'7" forward averaged 19.8 points and 6.8 rebounds last year and put up 27 points and 10 rebounds in a win at Kentucky.  Gets to the line as much as anyone in the country -- 232 free throws last season.  Shot 49/39/72.

No team will look more different than they did last year -- all 13 players from their team transferred out -- but I'm not sure the even got more talent in than out (although Rooths might make it an even)  They'll be better if for no other reason than Payne isn't the coach anymore and there is something to be said in a good coach being able to start with a clear slate with players he thinks fits his system.
  • Ali Khalifa, 6'11" C from BYU.  170th in the portal.  I thought I heard that they were going to redshirt him this year.
  • Aboubacar Traore, 6'7" SF from Long Beach State.  188th in the portal
  • J'Vonne Hadley, 6'6" SG from Colorado.  221st in the portal.
  • Reyne Smith, 6'2" SG from Charleston.  276th in the portal.
  • James Scott, 6'10" C from Charleston.  277th in the portal
  • Kasean Pryor, 6'10" CF from South Florida.  286th in the portal. (I think he's tremendously underrated by 247)
  • Kobe Rodgers, 6'3" CG from Charleston.  Unranked.
  • Khani Rooths, 6'8" PF, class of 2024.  33rd in class.
Players transferring out and their 247 portal ranking:
  • Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, 6'10" C.  ranked 55th in portal
  • Skyy Clark 6'3" PG.  ranked 93rd in portal
  • Mike James, 6'6" SF.  152nd in portal
  • Tre White, 6'7" SF.  157th in portal
  • Kaleb Glenn, 6'6" SF.  166th in portal
  • Dennis Evans, 7'1" C, 168th in portal (health is a concern)
  • Ty-Laur Johnson, 6'0" PG  170th in portal
  • Curtis Williams Jr, 6'5" SF.  193rd in portal
  • J.J. Traynor, 6'8" PF.  198th in portal
  • Emmanuel Okorafor, 6'9" C.  442nd in portal
  • Danillo Javanovich, 6'8" PF.  unranked
  • Koron Davis, 6'6" SG.  unranked
  • Hercy Miller, 6'3" PG.  unranked

We might get them in Atlantis. West Virginia a similar situation and could be an interesting group.

Then Gonzaga, Arizona as the annual winning teams.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Seems like a solid backcourt, at least. I think Hepburn is a good player.  His numbers took a dip last year because of Storr and Klesmit. He could have a really nice year for them. 

37 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Seems like a solid backcourt, at least. I think Hepburn is a good player.  His numbers took a dip last year because of Storr and Klesmit. He could have a really nice year for them. 

I think Hepburn is an A+ defender but offensively I'm just staying in his grill from the behind the arc because I don't think he finishes well inside the lane.  He's best suited to be a defensive stopper and offensive facilitator.  They'll probably have to ask a lot defensively from Hepburn when he's in with Johnson because they are both 6'2" and Hepburn is going to guard the better player defensively which could mean he's giving up quite a bit of size.  Edwards can probably play the 1, 2, and 3, though.

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

•  
  •  

Confirmation on Khalifa redshirting next year at Louisville -- has to rehab from a knee injury.  But Louisville does have three scholarships left.  They will need to address what they have at center since James Scott is their only post and he was a 5 pt, 3 rebound guy last year at Charleston (albeit shooting 79%.....sounds like it was layups and dunks, shot just 44% from the line).  But with three open schollies, they have some wiggle room to get another big or two. 

Three commitments so far today, all to P5 schools.

Riley Kugel (Florida), 6'5" guard, commits to Mississippi State.  Originally had committed to transfer to Kansas but was denied entrance.  247 ranks him as the 115th best transfer.

Ansley Almonor (Farleigh Dickinson), 6'7" PF, commits to Kentucky.  Stretch 4 who isn't a good rebounder but can shoot.  Averaged 16.4 points and 5.1 rebounds last season.  Mad 93 of 236 threes last season (39%).  247 ranks him as the 317th best transfer.

Cameron Sheffield (Rice) 6'6"wing transfers to Duke.  Overall pretty meh, averaged 7.6 points and 6.1 rebounds.  Likely will be a spot shooter off the bench as he is a decent perimeter shooter.  Not listed in 247's top 500 transfers.