Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

This won't happen but my "dream" scenario is: 

Reeves-would take Jalen's spot

Knecht - our 3

Battle-our 4

Sparks- big man off the bench: 

Starters: X, Reeves, Knecht, Battle, Malik

Bench: Trey, Sparks, Cupps, Banks, Gunn

Sounds like they could very well get Sparks. Battle I know they've visited with. Saw Reeves too in the future. I think Knecht is my #1 on the list of guys they want. Would probably be the best player on IU. 

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Links to player pages who we have heard IU has contacted.   (added Shedrick and Olivari)

Chris Ledlum, 6'6" forward, Harvard.  Two years of eligibility left.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431728/chris-ledlum  (IU has an at-home visit date set)

Kowacie Reeves, 6'6" wing, Florida.  IU had/will have an at home visit.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4683757/kowacie-reeves

Jamison Battle, 6'7" forward, Minnesota. In home visit scheduled. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431893/jamison-battle

Graham Ike, 6'9" center, Wyoming.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4703396/graham-ike

Payton Sparks, 6'9" center, Ball State.  Visiting IU.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4898008/payton-sparks

My ideal short list from this bunch, I think... How many scholarships do we have again? 

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If Geronimo transfers and JHS goes pro-5. Need at least two guards (2 or 3's) and two bigs (4 or 5's) IMO. 

Agree. I think a good scenario (maybe not best case, maybe not most realistic) would be: 

Starters:

• PG: XJ
  • SG: TG (I am assuming he takes another step forward developmentally this offseason and played hard this year)
  • SF: PORTAL
  • PF: Reneau
  • C: PORTAL

Bench:

PORTAL (SG), Banks (SF), PORTAL (PF/C), Cupps/Newton/Gunn splitting minutes. Maybe Newton takes a redshirt? 

I'd like to see those portal players be filled with: Battle, Graham Ike, Ledlum, and either Jace Carter or Quincy Olivari. 

I think the odds we get 3-5 guys who are currently on our radar are probably pretty low, given the competition and need to prioritize/timing of it all. 

These are fairly uncharted waters (fair to say?) for any college coach/program. Tough situation for Woodson to navigate, but I do think his NBA connections will be helpful. More than ever, college sports are a business. I hope we have the right people in the administration / behind the scenes with NIL, setting the program up for success.

Season to season teams can look totally different, so hard to project. I think this offseason will show us a lot about what Woodson is capable of/realistically aspiring for his tenure to amount to.

Hoping for the best, prepping for the worst...

Where 247 and On3 rank the players we are recruiting among all that have entered the portal:

#5 / not rated yet Dalton Knecht, wing, Northern Colorado

#9 / #24  Joe Girardi, Guard, Syracuse

#11 / #7 Nic Timberlake, Guard, Towson St

#13 / not rated Kawacie Reeves, Guard/forward, Florida

#14 / #8 Jamison Battle, Forward, Minnesota

#16 / #3 Graham Ike, Center, Wyoming

#23 / #9  Chris Ledlum, Forward, Harvard

#44 /  #73  Puff Johnson, Forward, North Carolina

#52 / #64 Jace Carter, Guard, UIC

#62 / #75 Payton Sparks, Center, Ball State

#65  / #60 Quincy Olivari, Guard, Rice

not rated yet / #23 Kadin Shedrick, Center, Virginia

since Wisconsin finally lost do we see Conner Essegian enter the portal and come back to Indiana(Fromt Ft Wayne)? I've read his name as a possible entry into the portal once their season ends.  Average 11.7 points, 35% from 3, 88% FT.  Maybe I was dreaming lol

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

get three and I would call that a win.

3 of 5 from that list would definitely be a success given how competitive it is for these players. The odds are not in our favor though.

38 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

since Wisconsin finally lost do we see Conner Essegian enter the portal and come back to Indiana(Fromt Ft Wayne)? I've read his name as a possible entry into the portal once their season ends.  Average 11.7 points, 35% from 3, 88% FT.  Maybe I was dreaming lol

Yea I still don't see any reason for him to leave... But man that was a bad one for Wisconsin last night... 14 second half points. Scored their final points at the 9:08 mark and didn't score again.

11 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Starters:

• PG: XJ
  • SG: TG (I am assuming he takes another step forward developmentally this offseason and played hard this year)
  • SF: PORTAL
  • PF: Reneau
  • C: PORTAL

I think we see more of situation where it is Reneau, a PG, and 3 perimeters one of whom is long and athletic and can help defend and rebound down low.  Banks fits that description but he’d have to improve his offense a lot in the offseason. 

9 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

I have to say that I’m a fan of the Bill Belichek theory that you can kind of have one knucklehead (in this case let’s just say “bad decision maker”) on your team, but not very many. 

I feel like Xavier has matured some but he still takes a lot of coaching to get in the correct frame of mind and not go wild with the ball. So while I believe Woody could probably help Love quite a bit, I do wonder if there wouldn’t be some negative synergy going on with a Love/XJ backcourt. 

29 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I have to say that I’m a fan of the Bill Belichek theory that you can kind of have one knucklehead (in this case let’s just say “bad decision maker”) on your team, but not very many. 

I feel like Xavier has matured some but he still takes a lot of coaching to get in the correct frame of mind and not go wild with the ball. So while I believe Woody could probably help Love quite a bit, I do wonder if there wouldn’t be some negative synergy going on with a Love/XJ backcourt. 

That is an outstanding take.

With Trayce, Race, and Miller gone our team is going to need not just on-court talent, but also some additional mature leaders next year. To be a mature leader you don't need to be super-serious, but you need to be grounded, organized, focused when it's time to focus, and a good decision maker. Someone that "gets it."

That's why after giving your post some thought, my far and away preferred portal addition for IU is Chris Ledlum.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Essegian went to Central Noble(Albion).  But I did hear he started out at Carroll(Ft. Wayne).  But why would he leave Wisconsin?  Doesn't like the offense?