Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MemphisHoosier

2021 5th Yr/Sr Decisions

36 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

BOOM!  All eyes are on Crider, Johnson and Whop now.

Whop already announced he’s coming back.

According to ESPN in the article about Fryfogle:

“His decision to return to Indiana comes only two days after Hoosiers receiver Whop Philyor, Indiana's second-leading receiver, also announced he would return to school for the 2021 season.”

1 hour ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Whop already announced he’s coming back.

According to ESPN in the article about Fryfogle:

“His decision to return to Indiana comes only two days after Hoosiers receiver Whop Philyor, Indiana's second-leading receiver, also announced he would return to school for the 2021 season.”

False alarm. Guess not yet actually. The author on ESPN edited the article and it now says “Whop Philyor has not yet announced what he intends to do.”

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Fryfogle is a real surprise to me. I thought he had a chance to make a NFL roster. Great news!!

These guys WANT to be at IU and we're seeing the proof. 

Same. He’s a great receiver but he kind of snuck into the national conversation this year over that 3 week window. Of course as a fan you welcome him back and I hope it works out for him, but you almost have to strike when the iron is hot here. Can’t help but think of Cardale Jones returning to OSU after his breakout spurt. Hope Ty can raise his draft stock more next season. 

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Wow

National championship aspirations?

Even though this sounds crazy....it’s kind of...not crazy at all? 

No idea what OSU’s QB situation is behind Fields, but regardless, there will be no Fields. I think PSU will be better but I don’t think they’ll project to be better than us. Michigan won’t take that big of a step forward, and Sparty is a mess. With a chance to knock off a top 10 Cincy early, and a real shot at getting to Indy, that means yeah....national title aspirations aren’t that crazy. 

It's awesome to see these guys coming back and high expectations for next year!  Is there no limit to scholarship numbers next year due to Covid?

Sort of. The 85 scholly limit remains, but players using the Covid year freebie that have exhausted eligibility do NOT count towards the 85. A good example is Dylan Powell, he counts towards the 85 limit because he still had a year of normal eligibility left. Guys like Fryfogle who were out of eligibility won’t count toward the 85 limit next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Sort of. The 85 scholly limit remains, but players using the Covid year freebie that have exhausted eligibility do NOT count towards the 85. A good example is Dylan Powell, he counts towards the 85 limit because he still had a year of normal eligibility left. Guys like Fryfogle who were out of eligibility won’t count toward the 85 limit next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is why our recruiting class remains so small. The Ole Miss transfer will also not count toward our 85. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a couple other senior transfers fo even further bolster the roster before the end of winter. 

Fryfogle has a chance to make a real name for himself this season. Coming off a Big Ten Receiver of the Year award, he’s comparable to guys like Rashod Bateman and Rondale in terms of preseason hype around him in the B1G. If the Hoosiers can ensure a capable arm getting him the ball, and Whop and Hendershot return too.... Wow. 

2 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

This is why our recruiting class remains so small. The Ole Miss transfer will also not count toward our 85. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a couple other senior transfers fo even further bolster the roster before the end of winter. 

Osterman mentioned this on the most recent Crimson Cast pod w/Galen, paraphrasing here - CTA has a little room left on the roster (1-3 spots, before Anderson's addition), the staff is actively mining the transfer portal with a focus on both sides of the line (OL/DL) and best available talent where it makes sense for the roster