Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Yea or Nay: give seniors another year of eligibility?

1 hour ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Not everyone gets a chance to be a champion every single year. If that were the case, let every team in the NCAA tournament. Not how it works

Eh actually yeah they do at the beginning do the year every team is playing for the championship. For some it’s more realistic Than others 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I actually love the idea. With how bad the quality of basketball was this season... we could see high quality parity next season with a bunch of guys like that returning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So you're saying the guys that contributed to a bad quality of basketball this season , will be a able to give us a high quality next season? These guys had four years to give us a better brand of basketball!

So you're saying the guys that contributed to a bad quality of basketball this season , will be a able to give us a high quality next season? These guys had four years to give us a better brand of basketball!

With the freshmen coming in and maybe a realization that it can be taken away in a snap. Could lead to some good ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I can see both sides of the issue. I am leaning no, but if they do it, I'm fine with.
However, they can only play with the same team as this year.
Any scholarship given above the current cap can only go to those Seniors. Transfers, both Grad and regular, and Freshmen can use those scholarships.
If this yrs Seniors don't want to return, that Scholarship is taken away and goes back to the current cap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No.  Sometimes life isn't fair, but while missing out on an opportunity to play in a tournament stinks, it's not a tragedy.  Many people have missed out on important events and opportunities because of unfortunate circumstances (more important/significant than missing a basketball tourney).
Imagine the chaos with scholarship and roster limits. 
I agree. I've missed family Weddings, birthdays, graduations etc while deployed.

What if they are granted another year of eligibility... but if the player wants to use it, they have to enter the transfer portal. Can’t play for your current team, but you can still play! Solves for roster management and a great way to test the idea of college level ‘free agency.’

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
I'm a firm no on this idea. See my post above

I weigh in with a soft no. They all pretty much played out their senior seasons, and I think that's enough. But if the NCAA decided to allow them to return, I wouldn't kick up a fuss. 

I'm all for granting spring sport athletes another full year, however. 

That said, when it comes to our basketball seniors, I'm not sure they'd want to come back. I think Devonte is ready to move on. My guess is that he feels his game is better suited to pro ball -- likely overseas, I would presume. And I suspect that De'Ron is just tired of playing with all the injuries. Calendar-wise, he came in as a 19-year old and leaves as a 23-year old. Health-wise, he came in as a 19-year-old and leaves like a 38-year old. 

Plus, I'm not sure either had the best relationship with Archie. I base that on absolutely nothing factual, but both were Crean recruits. 

The more I think about it the less likely I think it is to happen. The majority (I think?) of seniors in college basketball already had their season end including the postseason. Low and mid major teams who’s conf tourney had already ended, as well as the few major conf teams who lost the fist and only game played (Neb, NW). There is no reason to give them a season back. So we would be talking all or mostly major conf teams as well as some like the A10, American, etc. That would just create even more imbalance, especially in the non-conference season between majors and mid/low majors. Even within a conference, do you only grant the extra year to the seniors on the team that won the conference tourney (for low majors) or was possibly going to make the NIT (for mid majors)? That wouldn’t make sense. But the only way to make it fair across the conference would be to grant and extra year to a bunch of seniors who didn’t actually have their season cut short. I really don’t see it happening. 

Yes to Spring sports, but not Winter. 

There is a trickle down effect. Does everyone currently in college get a 5th season or just the seniors? What about the sophomore coming off the bench that is anticipating a larger role his last two seasons, but now the senior he’s played behind is coming back for a 5th season?

Does that player get an added year of eligibility? Look at MSU, Rocket Watts has been waiting behind Cassius Winston, does Watts get an extra year because now Winston is coming back and he has to wait another year? 

I just think this is one of those things that stinks for everyone, but is what it is.