Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So can we talk about player development?

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Im sure it was provoked but you cant do that in the world of instant replay.

Oh I am sure of that.... just watching them run their mouths and the way they were acting I wanted to do it well before Al did.... I was just curious if anybody ever made mention of it publicly.

That is the bad part of instant replay in my opinion... If it was called a foul and they wanted to review the severity of it so be it... but to not be called at all and then based on the coach complaining it gets reviewed and he gets tossed... that is terrible... however he did it so the ref that was right there didn't see it was good enough.... 

I haven't given up on Rob at all, he has shown flashes of being an excellent point guard with flashes to the basket at times. Not sure what is going on presently but maybe it is just confidence. He was out for several games and missed a lot of practice so hopefully going forward we will see him continue to develop.

5 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Oh I am sure of that.... just watching them run their mouths and the way they were acting I wanted to do it well before Al did.... I was just curious if anybody ever made mention of it publicly.

That is the bad part of instant replay in my opinion... If it was called a foul and they wanted to review the severity of it so be it... but to not be called at all and then based on the coach complaining it gets reviewed and he gets tossed... that is terrible... however he did it so the ref that was right there didn't see it was good enough.... 

I’d agree with you if his elbow was parallel, towards a guys chest. Unfortunately he threw it high towards the head. I’m an Al fan (a hard working 3 star that will never be a superstar but has improved) but he deserved to be tossed.

14 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

He swung his elbow upwards.  He absolutely deserved to be tossed, that's not a normal movement in the game.

While I’ve been fairly negative/upset the last couple of weeks, I do think we are seeing player development from last season. Anderson definitely jumps out on the defensive side, he couldn’t guard anyone last year! While Justin disappears in the scoring column at times, he has been way more consistent overall with his defense and effort. Last year that was never the case. While Al is a streaky shooter, his overall offensive game has gotten better.

While I’m worried about this coaching staff, the players have improved with them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

17 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I’d agree with you if his elbow was parallel, towards a guys chest. Unfortunately he threw it high towards the head. I’m an Al fan (a hard working 3 star that will never be a superstar but has improved) but he deserved to be tossed.

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

He swung his elbow upwards.  He absolutely deserved to be tossed, that's not a normal movement in the game.

I agree with you both... it is not a normal basketball move and he DID deserve to be tossed... I just hate that the basically got away with it from the Ref standpoint... and then the other coach complains (because he saw it blatant and plain as day).

They got the call right in the end... I guess it just shows how bad refs can be (I know it is not an easy job but that looked like a pretty easy call from the ref that was standing right on that side of the court)

10 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I agree with you both... it is not a normal basketball move and he DID deserve to be tossed... I just hate that the basically got away with it from the Ref standpoint... and then the other coach complains (because he saw it blatant and plain as day).

They got the call right in the end... I guess it just shows how bad refs can be (I know it is not an easy job but that looked like a pretty easy call from the ref that was standing right on that side of the court)

Part of me wonders if the ref saw it and let it go because how much the Arkansas players were talking but once they started looking on replay he lost plausible deniability 

If I recall correctly, when Zeller was playing, he was hit in groin. The officials didn't call anything, but after someone from IU said something, they reviewed it and the guy was tossed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, when Zeller was playing, he was hit in groin. The officials didn't call anything, but after someone from IU said something, they reviewed it and the guy was tossed.  

Yea that happened. But Zeller was one of the best players in the nation, so he’s going to get different treatment. Even as a freshman. Now, everyone gets that treatment. It’s the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It was really early in the season. I believe he went to Crean and said something then went to the ref and told him. The refs went to check it and tossed the dude. It might have even been an exhibition game against UIndy or someone.

17 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I remember that and it looked like Zeller actually pulled the guys arm into his groin.

If that happened now he would have gotten a warning due to the new anti fapping rule.

I remember that and it looked like Zeller actually pulled the guys arm into his groin.
If that happened now he would have gotten a warning due to the new anti fapping rule.

That was a different game and different year. I believe that was Derrick “Tom Izzo won’t discipline me” Nix.

That was a different game and different year. I believe that was Derrick “Tom Izzo won’t discipline me” Nix.

Yep the one you guys are talking about is Zeller’s first regular season game early in the game. During a tv timeout he went up to the ref to tell him the dude hit him in the nuts. They reviewed it and kicked the kid out. The one he was talking about was up in East Lansing.

It was really early in the season. I believe he went to Crean and said something then went to the ref and told him. The refs went to check it and tossed the dude. It might have even been an exhibition game against UIndy or someone.

Stony Brook