Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB @ Rutgers- Game Thread

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

This reminds me of the tailspin’s that the Illinois teams would go through at the end of the Weber era. They did this a couple years in a row and then BAM was gone. 

Not even close to BAM.

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

On that note, I was happy to see Anderson actually fighting for loose balls and giving energy. He still seems lost but at least he’s fighting. It speaks to the culture when you can point out guys who are giving effort. 
Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Towards the end of the game I loved seeing Anderson fight for those lose balls. Thought it was great but then it hit me I was particularly fired up because seeing that from the team (other than Al) is relatively rare.  That’s kind of it in a nutshell. 

1 minute ago, Rico said:

So now we are blaming the fan base?  Beer just went all over my screen.

I’m saying we have issues that go much deeper than the current coach. Our fanbase (myself included) create a near impossible situation for coaches to be successful in. We can fire the whole ******* staff and bring another one in. It won’t matter. Not until we fix what’s fundamentally wrong with this program. 

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

This reminds me of the tailspin’s that the Illinois teams would go through at the end of the Weber era. They did this a couple years in a row and then BAM was gone. 

They remind me of the tailspins Crean's teams would go through towards the end of the season his first few years, and last few years.

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’m saying we have issues that go much deeper than the current coach. Our fanbase (myself included) create a near impossible situation for coaches to be successful in. We can fire the whole ******* staff and bring another one in. It won’t matter. Not until we fix what’s fundamentally wrong with this program. 

And what is fundamentally wrong with this program?  The fan base?

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, I'm sure blaming the fans is the answer.  The fans are why we're 1.5 years in playing with no effort and getting worse by the game. 

Hell the "Archie Lovers" have to blame someone....might as well be the fans.

If he truly cared about IU athletics he would have realized he sucks at his job and resigned awhile ago. He is partially responsible for this mess. I have never seen things this bad in both football and basketball.

Must have intentionally blacked out the DiNardo-Davis-Duo

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

And what is fundamentally wrong with this program?  The fan base?

A combination of things. I think the university botched everything from the end of Knight’s tenure, his firing, the hiring of coaches and AD’s following his departure. I believe we have had and currently have an administration that does not want this program to garner the attention and power that it once did.  I think we’ve mostly been 2nd rate program in the eyes of most coaches and elite players for the past few decades and I think we have the largest, disillusioned fan base in the entire nation. So yes. The fan base is contributing to our mediocrity, currently, in my opinion. You having a different opinion is fine by me. 

I still ask the question....Do you recall us only playing hard 10 minutes a game last year? Maybe my memory is bad but the lack of effort/hustle/ giving a s#&t, seems to be much worse this year.  
Tough coaches wear on soft players as time goes on and ultimately this is what you are left with especially when things start to go south. I still have faith in Archie and agree with all the things he is saying. I dont fault those that are blaming Archie and that are frustrated he ultimately is the leader and should take most of the blame. I also understand that things dont get changed over night and sometimes players are who they are especially from a toughness standpoint. When we get through 2 or 3 cycles of Archie guys and we still see the same things then I will worry.

The offensive struggles dont worry me as much as other. Our offense has been fine when we get some shots to fall. Even tonight we hit a few early and we were rolling then some key guys got into foul trouble and we couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. And when you dont have tough players and your struggling offensively soft players stop playing defense and giving effort.

I would love to say it's going to get fixed this year but that's probably a lie. These are the players we have right now and they dont have the same makeup as the head coach as most were not recruited by the head coach. Hopefully Archie can get his type of players and get this thing turned around!! I'm still keeping faith.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dead giant. Our program is just a shell of its former self and our large and out of touch fanbase is a major contributor (if not the main cause) to our mediocrity. The insane amount of pressure we apply to coaching staff’s, from our unrealistic expectations and impatience, make it nearly impossible for any coach to win. It goes way deeper than having the tradition, resources and fanbase. I’m convinced. We lead by fear. You better perform a miracle (in short order) or we’ll make you so damn uncomfortable, you won’t be able to wipe your rear end without second guessing how many squares to uses. We would be doing ourselves a huge favor by doing one of 2 things. 
1. Completely disengage and place our focus elsewhere for a few years.
2. Lend the staff unwavering support for 2-4 years. 
Both of these will allow the staff to operate in a non toxic environment, so that they can actually have a chance at righting this ship. 
Otherwise, we are gonna need a coach like Brad Stevens or some other basketball God to come save us. And guess what? We aren’t gonna get one of these coaches. Why in the hell would they take this job when they can take their pick? 
Bottom line: We all need to adjust our expectations for this program. We haven’t been considered elite in 3 decades. There’s plenty of more attractive options for elite players and coaches that don’t require them to deal with us. 
Archie was almost unanimously regarded as the best up and coming young coach. If he can’t win at Indiana then not many guys can. Not without being cut a blank check for long period of time.

I get where you’re coming from but I think that’s a reason IU is still special. We haven’t seen sustained success in decades but the fan base still supports the program year in and year out. The program needs a coach who gets it, I think Archie and Co. do. We need players who get it, I think that is slowly happening.

This whole issue is culture based. An IU basketball team should never fold when adversity hits. When has that been acceptable? That’s what the coaching staff is fighting against right now.

You can’t go after a coach who just had his 1st recruiting class! So chill out guys. We still dealing with Clappy players.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Have you watched Archie on the sidelines? It’s clappy 2.0 and that is the first time I have ever used that term clappy, but if it fits Crean it fits Archie too

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Dead giant. Our program is just a shell of its former self and our large and out of touch fanbase is a major contributor (if not the main cause) to our mediocrity. The insane amount of pressure we apply to coaching staff’s, from our unrealistic expectations and impatience, make it nearly impossible for any coach to win. It goes way deeper than having the tradition, resources and fanbase. I’m convinced. We lead by fear. You better perform a miracle (in short order) or we’ll make you so damn uncomfortable, you won’t be able to wipe your rear end without second guessing how many squares to uses. We would be doing ourselves a huge favor by doing one of 2 things. 

1. Completely disengage and place our focus elsewhere for a few years.

2. Lend the staff unwavering support for 2-4 years. 

Both of these will allow the staff to operate in a non toxic environment, so that they can actually have a chance at righting this ship. 

Otherwise, we are gonna need a coach like Brad Stevens or some other basketball God to come save us. And guess what? We aren’t gonna get one of these coaches. Why in the hell would they take this job when they can take their pick? 

Bottom line: We all need to adjust our expectations for this program. We haven’t been considered elite in 3 decades. There’s plenty of more attractive options for elite players and coaches that don’t require them to deal with us. 

Archie was almost unanimously regarded as the best up and coming young coach. If he can’t win at Indiana then not many guys can. Not without being cut a blank check for long period of time.

I’m sorry but fans are not at practice or in the huddle.

On top of that, IU just gave Tom Crean 9 years so it’s not like this is some sort of revolving door.

If you want to call the fans annoying and unrealistic then fine, but I think it’s a real stretch to say they are having a material negative impact on the program.

I certainly don't think IU fans were the problem when there were just as many IU fans at the Northwestern game in Evanston as there were Northwestern fans. 

Last years B1G wins for IU in a league that got 4 teams in the tourney.

1 Penn St win at home (9-9) (IU’s best win in the B1G)
5 wins against teams (4-14)
1 win against a team (3-15)
1 win against a team (8-10)
1 win against a team (6-12)

So this year is a success comparatively through numbers? Thank goodness

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

I certainly don't think IU fans were the problem when there were just as many IU fans at the Northwestern game in Evanston as there were Northwestern fans. 

Way more IU fans than Northwestern fans, not even close. It was home game for IU and we still got smoked

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Have you watched Archie on the sidelines? It’s clappy 2.0 and that is the first time I have ever used that term clappy, but if it fits Crean it fits Archie too

At least Archie's suit fits. I'm still giving Archie 2 more years to do something. But if he doesn't make the tournament this year or next, then I'm all aboard looking at someone else.