Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m hardly shifting the argument player development was one of the central arguments I brought up in my first post that started this topic. 

Blindly believing that the coach has it under control hasn’t gotten this fan base anywhere in 32 years. Perhaps we shouldn’t wait till recruits have completely given up on our program before voicing concerns about things. 

I was told to have faith in Crean for 5 years.  For no other reason than because. As a fan base shouldn’t go from unconditional support to running somebody out of town on the flip of a switch. 

Im curious as to your expectations for this team coming into the year? 

Not saying you can't be critical of the team's turnover and free throw shooting issues because those are valid points. But still curious as to what you expected from a win/accomplishment standpoint. 

8 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Im curious as to your expectations for this team coming into the year? 

Not saying you can't be critical of the team's turnover and free throw shooting issues because those are valid points. But still curious as to what you expected from a win/accomplishment standpoint. 

I actually expected us to be 8-3 or 9-2 in the OoC with somewhere around 13 wins in conference. 

And while those goals are still possible not playing the way we are now. 

My main expectation was we would play good basketball. And despite getting some wins we have played bad basketball more often than not. 

7 games into year 2 - we aren’t making the tournament. Sounds a bit dramatic, right? Let’s get the team back healthy and fully loaded before we panic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

7 games into year 2 - we aren’t making the tournament. Sounds a bit dramatic, right? Let’s get the team back healthy and fully loaded before we panic.

Who is saying we aren’t going to make the tourney. The fact that the bar is making the tourney is concerning though. 

I can't believe the amount of panic on this board. We have had 2 of our top players not play for three games and play limited time against Duke. Players were forced to play different roles or play more minutes. This includes 1 coming off of an Achilles injury. I haven't even mentioned Jerome not playing at all because of what is believed to be a genetic issue causing a surgery. We are 5 and 2 and people are saying we won't make the tournament.
When Mcroberts and Green come back healthy and we continue to struggle, then I will join you cliff jumpers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Give Archie time to get HIS guys in there first before we start running him out of Bloomington. He has had his first recruiting class for 7 games and we're 5-2 with a loss at possibly the best team in the history of college basketball and a tip in away from a big road win and people are jumping off the Archie bandwagon faster than I can type this. Give the guy some time before we critique the coaching methods...and just imagine if this recruiting class comes together like it seems. Next year we have a starting 5 of Rob, TJD, Brooks, Hunter/Smith, Al. Green, Race, Hunter/Smith, Franklin off the bench. That's a top 10 team easy. We will find out a lot about this team over the next month and where we really stand but until then...I will wait to make an assessment especially if we get Brooks and TJD to commit here soon.

Great post

Just now, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I can't believe the amount of panic on this board. We have had 2 of our top players not play for three games and play limited time against Duke. Players were forced to play different roles or play more minutes. This includes 1 coming off of an Achilles injury. I haven't even mentioned Jerome not playing at all because of what is believed to be a genetic issue causing a surgery. We are 5 and 2 and people are saying we won't make the tournament.
When Mcroberts and Green come back healthy and we continue to struggle, then I will join you cliff jumpers

Not to mention, Race will get every opportunity to play. Moving forward, I believe players like Race and Jake are going to be the type of 3 and 4 star front court players Archie will be bringing in. High energy, long, and not afraid to get after it.

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Who is saying we aren’t going to make the tourney. The fact that the bar is making the tourney is concerning though. 

Your own expectations were 8-9 non-conference wins and 13 conference wins... which is a 21-22 win team.  That's a team that likely makes the tourney, but not with a lot of wiggle room. 

So I'm confused... do you think your own expectations were concerning?  I'm not sure what Archie could have possibly done to infuse more talent into the roster for this year and raise that bar any higher.  I am concerned about the on court product, but I'm not concerned about the general expectations, because they are completely realistic...  a tourney team, but probably not a top 5 seed.

Just now, moyemayhem said:

Your own expectations were 8-9 non-conference wins and 13 conference wins... which is a 21-22 win team.  That's a team that likely makes the tourney, but not with a lot of wiggle room. 

So I'm confused... do you think your own expectations were concerning?  I'm not sure what Archie could have possibly done to infuse more talent into the roster for this year and raise that bar any higher.  I am concerned about the on court product, but I'm not concerned about the general expectations, because they are completely realistic...  a tourney team, but probably not a top 5 seed.

Yes my expectations do concern me. I was never happy that those were my expectations. And the fact that year 3 appears to be an even less talented team disappoints me greatly 

Duke wasn't "Duke" before K.  And no one is saying Miller should be fired.

IU hasn’t been “IU” for decades. It’s not like he came here and took over a dominate program because the coach retired. He took over a program that was incredibly inconsistent because with players that were taught...actually I don’t know what they were being “taught”. I get the frustrations, but good lord, expectations vs reality need to be considered a little more. I want to win and be back to where we once were so long ago but it’s not going to magically happen in 1 season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The only problem is the two top players you reference are not really that great. One is a walk-on and one is a junior who has been very inconsistent in his career. I understand that mcRoberts brings a lot to the table but it's not like he's going to give you 20 and 10. We just don't have enough horses right now to compete with the elite teams.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

My concerns are the same as they have been for a few years. Our shooting is horrendous. Outside of say 12 feet, we can't hit the broad side of a barn. I also tend to agree with some outsiders that more of our offense should be run thru or for Romeo. But, for a 5*, all everything, his shot has been non-existent. I watched 30+ games of his and can't understand where his shot has disappeared to. Never was better than 40% from deep, but man... He has done his damage driving the lane and we see where that got him against equal or better players at Duke. I also tend to agree that our offensive sets are ugly and tend to be very vanilla. Hope to see all of this change.

19 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

We're 5-2, yes, but four of those wins came against cupcakes, the better two of which were also able to give us a scare, in Assembly Hall no less. It's not about losing to Duke, something everyone expected. It's about how we looked in the games leading up to Tuesday night, and how we acquitted ourselves once we got there. Maybe it is entirely explained by injuries. We'll find out soon enough.

We're 5-2, yes, but four of those wins came against cupcakes, the better two of which were also able to give us a scare, in Assembly Hall no less. It's not about losing to Duke, something everyone expected. It's about how we looked in the games leading up to Tuesday night, and how we acquitted ourselves once we got there. Maybe it is entirely explained by injuries. We'll find out soon enough.
And we weren't a full healthy team for the last 4 games. We were against Marquette. The same Marquette team that beat Louisville

49 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

There has been no panic nor cliff jumping anywhere.  I don't understand why the blind loyalists keep accusing people of this.

It is ok to be concerned with the lack of effort and results we've seen.  Some of us are tired of struggling with teams with far less talent.  It's ok to talk about.

We also would probably have had quicker success had Archie installed a man-to-man defense instead of going from CTC's-no defense philosophy  to the Pack-Line. 

Why is IU always going through a complete rebuild when other programs plug in a new coach and have success in shorter time periods. (ex. Louisville, Ohio State, etc.) 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with the TOs, FTs and what I saw on the court. However, I loved what I saw when we were a full healthy team. If we don't get back to that when healthy, then i will get concerned.

25 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

My concerns are the same as they have been for a few years. Our shooting is horrendous. Outside of say 12 feet, we can't hit the broad side of a barn. I also tend to agree with some outsiders that more of our offense should be run thru or for Romeo. But, for a 5*, all everything, his shot has been non-existent. I watched 30+ games of his and can't understand where his shot has disappeared to. Never was better than 40% from deep, but man... He has done his damage driving the lane and we see where that got him against equal or better players at Duke. I also tend to agree that our offensive sets are ugly and tend to be very vanilla. Hope to see all of this change.

Langford is going to have to at least be a threat from deep or defense will play off to try and take away his driving.  He has to be able to keep them honest, he doesn't have to be Hulls from 3 to do that.

3 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

And we weren't a full healthy team for the last 4 games. We were against Marquette. The same Marquette team that beat Louisville

We keep missing FTs and Justin Smith looks worse than last year because McRoberts hurt his back?

There has been no panic nor cliff jumping anywhere.  I don't understand why the blind loyalists keep accusing people of this.
It is ok to be concerned with the lack of effort and results we've seen.  Some of us are tired of struggling with teams with far less talent.  It's ok to talk about.
Sure it's ok, but when people are saying Archie isn't the answer because we have played the last 4 games shorthanded and question the system, to me that is cliff jumping and panic. Read my previous post