Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wasn’t it supposed to be different this year because now Archie had the talent. 

The better time to ask this question will be when both teams get into BIG play and we see where we stack up. We absolutely should finish higher than them given the roster. 

5 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

The better time to ask this question will be when both teams get into BIG play and we see where we stack up. We absolutely should finish higher than them given the roster. 

It is inconceivable to me that they do better than us this season. They lost the players kept them alive last year and Holtmann coming in July stunted their first recruiting class. I would be very surprised, to say the least. 

I, however, don’t really like the look of this years uniforms either. I think the neckline and shoulders just look really weird and I’m not a huge fan of the font. I really like the look of Michigan’s uniforms with the skinnier shoulder straps.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Our shorts are still from the 1970's. I hate them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm very interested to see how Holtmann does. He was definitely there for the taking. 
Also, what about Chris Mack? I wonder if we ever tried to make a run at him. He's killing the recruiting at Lville so far and had a big win against Mich St. last night with an inferior team. 
Yep i never got not going after mack. He wasnt i guess a home run but had won at a higher level against better teams

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wasn’t it supposed to be different this year because now Archie had the talent. 

Archie has some talent. We're still thin to nonexistent down low and we have unreliable point play due to our options being a freshman and Green. Our best shooters are freshmen and there are some injuries still. 

Anyone who expected a win last night is an idiot. Anyone calling for Archie's head is an even bigger clown. We weren't a good team by any measure last season other than where we finished in the conference standings due to a favorable schedule and weak Big Ten. We added some pieces to what was at best a mediocre lineup and they unraveled early in a hostile environment against one of the best teams in the country. It was a game few if any teams would have won this early in the season. 

Archie isn't just amassing talent, he's implementing a system. A system that by his own admission will take several years for a team to fully get the hang of. A November game at Duke with freshmen guards isn't the time to judge it. 

12 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Archie has some talent. We're still thin to nonexistent down low and we have unreliable point play due to our options being a freshman and Green. Our best shooters are freshmen and there are some injuries still. 

Anyone who expected a win last night is an idiot. Anyone calling for Archie's head is an even bigger clown. We weren't a good team by any measure last season other than where we finished in the conference standings due to a favorable schedule and weak Big Ten. We added some pieces to what was at best a mediocre lineup and they unraveled early in a hostile environment against one of the best teams in the country. It was a game few if any teams would have won this early in the season. 

Archie isn't just amassing talent, he's implementing a system. A system that by his own admission will take several years for a team to fully get the hang of. A November game at Duke with freshmen guards isn't the time to judge it. 

Interesting how things keep changing. 3 weeks ago we were a deep team. Now we are less talented than OSU despite their own fans thinking this was a rebuilding year. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Interesting how things keep changing. 3 weeks ago we were a deep team. Now we are less talented than OSU despite their own fans thinking this was a rebuilding year. 

Who's we? I'm not comparing us to OSU and I saw this team for what is, an improved but flawed team that lost to Rutgers in the opening round of the BTT last year. I'm not expecting much out of Davis down low, Fitzner has his role as a perimeter player with some size, Morgan and Romeo are talented and reliable, PG play will be inconsistent especially to start the year, and our bench is rather young. Turnovers have been shaky on the road so far but we should settle into form as the season progresses. 

1 minute ago, Magnanimous said:

Who's we? I'm not comparing us to OSU and I saw this team for what is, an improved but flawed team that lost to Rutgers in the opening round of the BTT last year. I'm not expecting much out of Davis down low, Fitzner has his role as a perimeter player with some size, Morgan and Romeo are talented and reliable, PG play will be inconsistent especially to start the year, and our bench is rather young. Turnovers have been shaky on the road so far but we should settle into form as the season progresses. 

You quoted a post that was comparing us to OSU. Turnovers have been shaky everywhere not just the road

Let's say that coach has a plan for developing this team.  If he doesn't we have the wrong coach, but I'll not argue that at this point.  He had players returning and a good recruiting class coming in, so it was expected that we would have a better product on the floor than we did last year.  Then the nightmare begins with injuries and our bench disappears into the training room.  Suddenly the coach's hands are tied and the "plan" goes out the window.  He is forced to play players too many minutes and in some cases in positions that they were never intended to play.  The result is lackluster performances against inferior teams and a blowout defeat to a very good team that simply outclassed us.  Of more importance is team chemistry and roles have been perverted by bad breaks injury wise.  So the big questions is how do we get this train-wreck back on the rails?  I'm sure everyone has an opinion because that is part of the fun in being a Hoosier fan.  The only opinion that matters is Archie's but I'm not going to let that stop me from chiming in.  I think we only have two guaranteed starters on this team - Morgan and Langford, and Morgan is playing out of position.  Smith has earned some pine time and I'd move Morgan to the 4 which is probably his natural position.  Smith can be an energy guy off the bench until he can prove that he is able to handle the ball, make good decisions, pound the boards and finish in traffic.  Ultimately Davis is going to be the stating center.  I don't care how big Fitzner is, he is not going to play with his back to the basket.  He is an instant offense guy that can come off the bench and pop some 3s.  Maybe he can grab a few rebounds but don't expect an all around player.  That he isn't.  Since we have some big guards we can probably get by with playing only two bigs.  I'd play Durham and Langford on the wings.  Al has improved greatly this year.  He can play defense and can handle the ball if needed.  He has also demonstrated an improved offensive game this year.  I think it is significant that Romeo is our second leading rebounder.  However, he is not a shooter.  He is a slasher and he is having trouble doing that as his way to the basket is blocked by his teammates.  Get out of his way!  Phinisee is also a slasher that has demonstrated the ability to get by his man so I'd go with him at the point.  Unless his offense continues to develop McRoberts is a spot starter in place of Durham and instant defense and energy off the bench.  Green has ability but he consistently STOPS the offense with his dribbling and selfish play.  Anderson isn't ready yet for big time minutes.  I have no idea what to do with Forrester and Moore.  If Archie couldn't find minutes for them when we were shorthanded I don't know if they are going to help with injured players coming back.  Hunter is a wash this year.  By the time he gets back - if he gets back - roles will have been established.  The wild card is Thompson.  I really want to see this kid play but I have seen so little of him I don't know what I would do with him.  He could be a Smith without the warts.  He could be a bench buddy with Forrester and Moore.  I suspect he is a player, especially after a year of practice, but I just don't know.  So there you go.  I'd start Davis, Morgan, Durham, Langford, and Phinisee.  McRoberts, Green, Smith, Fitzner are my first four off the bench - depending on need at the time.  I'm praying that Thompson will come back and make me change my thinking.  Same for Hunter.

Let's say that coach has a plan for developing this team.  If he doesn't we have the wrong coach, but I'll not argue that at this point.  He had players returning and a good recruiting class coming in, so it was expected that we would have a better product on the floor than we did last year.  Then the nightmare begins with injuries and our bench disappears into the training room.  Suddenly the coach's hands are tied and the "plan" goes out the window.  He is forced to play players too many minutes and in some cases in positions that they were never intended to play.  The result is lackluster performances against inferior teams and a blowout defeat to a very good team that simply outclassed us.  Of more importance is team chemistry and roles have been perverted by bad breaks injury wise.  So the big questions is how do we get this train-wreck back on the rails?  I'm sure everyone has an opinion because that is part of the fun in being a Hoosier fan.  The only opinion that matters is Archie's but I'm not going to let that stop me from chiming in.  I think we only have two guaranteed starters on this team - Morgan and Langford, and Morgan is playing out of position.  Smith has earned some pine time and I'd move Morgan to the 4 which is probably his natural position.  Smith can be an energy guy off the bench until he can prove that he is able to handle the ball, make good decisions, pound the boards and finish in traffic.  Ultimately Davis is going to be the stating center.  I don't care how big Fitzner is, he is not going to play with his back to the basket.  He is an instant offense guy that can come off the bench and pop some 3s.  Maybe he can grab a few rebounds but don't expect an all around player.  That he isn't.  Since we have some big guards we can probably get by with playing only two bigs.  I'd play Durham and Langford on the wings.  Al has improved greatly this year.  He can play defense and can handle the ball if needed.  He has also demonstrated an improved offensive game this year.  I think it is significant that Romeo is our second leading rebounder.  However, he is not a shooter.  He is a slasher and he is having trouble doing that as his way to the basket is blocked by his teammates.  Get out of his way!  Phinisee is also a slasher that has demonstrated the ability to get by his man so I'd go with him at the point.  Unless his offense continues to develop McRoberts is a spot starter in place of Durham and instant defense and energy off the bench.  Green has ability but he consistently STOPS the offense with his dribbling and selfish play.  Anderson isn't ready yet for big time minutes.  I have no idea what to do with Forrester and Moore.  If Archie couldn't find minutes for them when we were shorthanded I don't know if they are going to help with injured players coming back.  Hunter is a wash this year.  By the time he gets back - if he gets back - roles will have been established.  The wild card is Thompson.  I really want to see this kid play but I have seen so little of him I don't know what I would do with him.  He could be a Smith without the warts.  He could be a bench buddy with Forrester and Moore.  I suspect he is a player, especially after a year of practice, but I just don't know.  So there you go.  I'd start Davis, Morgan, Durham, Langford, and Phinisee.  McRoberts, Green, Smith, Fitzner are my first four off the bench - depending on need at the time.  I'm praying that Thompson will come back and make me change my thinking.  Same for Hunter.

Not a bad analysis but i think so far this season mcroberts has shown improved shooting and i think he should start. I cant figure out why forrester didnt get minutes he has looked good when he has been in imo and our team played poorly last few games. To my knowledge we only have 2 injured players moving forward so injurys should not be a excuse from now on. It is time to get it going games are critical from this point forward so better start playing and quit playing crean ball without the threes and good free throws

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I dont recall reading one single person on here who expected to win. I think most hoped we werent completely embarrassed and run out of the gym on national tv. Both came true.

I dont beliwve that at all. He seemed like a perfect iu coach.

I believe it. Coaching iu is a pressure cooker some would probably like to avoid. Our fans are already getting set to lynch our new young coach 7 games into his second season. We demand success like very few other schools and have been denied for an insane amount of time. It is not for everyone

I believe it. Coaching iu is a pressure cooker some would probably like to avoid. Our fans are already getting set to lynch our new young coach 7 games into his second season. We demand success like very few other schools and have been denied for an insane amount of time. It is not for everyone

We demand success bure sure have not gotten much of it in 30 years . Louisville is a pressure cooker job and got pitino and mack to take jobs with them. Kentucky got calipari and kentucky is beyond a pressure cooker. Big name coaches want big name jobs. I honestly dont think any big names coaches wanted the iu job cause we are not a big time program anymore. I dont think it has anything to do with pressure at least for well known coaches.

We demand success bure sure have not gotten much of it in 30 years . Louisville is a pressure cooker job and got pitino and mack to take jobs with them. Kentucky got calipari and kentucky is beyond a pressure cooker. Big name coaches want big name jobs. I honestly dont think any big names coaches wanted the iu job cause we are not a big time program anymore. I dont think it has anything to do with pressure at least for well known coaches.

Well it’s funny you brought up Calipari and then say no “big” name coaches wanted the IU job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

40 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Calipari wanted the IU job before he went to Kentucky.  The job was open twice when he was at Memphis, we never pursued him.  I seem to remember hearing that Izzo was interested at one time too, but not sure how accurate that is.

Yes, the Indiana name still registers.