Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Indiana vs Ohio State Senior Night Game Thread

Good defensive stand, Johnson gets the board and travels because Newkirk knocked him down.  Morgan gets a go ahead layup and Newkirk plays terrible defense and gives up the winning shot.
Does he have to finish the year or can we go ahead and kick him to the curb?  Because he deserves the latter.

I know what you’re saying but, I think possibly Newkirk was in a better position for the rebound. I think it was his to bring down.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just Smith is going to be dang near unstoppable soon. I'm so pumped about a Morgan/Smith combo next year.

I really wanted that for Rojo.. I can't imagine how he feels right now.

Yall can be mad at Josh but he played a decent game. Who u should he mad at is McSwain. I watched him mope around all game not engaged. No defensive stance, mediocre awareness. Not sure if he is sick but other than a big late rebound, he was dissapointing.

And.. HELL YEA MCROBERTS

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Yep. Or if we made some free throws

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BtownBanners mobile app

But as I said a good PG wins. Newkirk was decent but not good. But Newkirk seems to always make a mistake in big situations. Honestly what happened to Green? He has disappeared the last 2 games?

9 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Yep. Or if we made some free throws

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BtownBanners mobile app

So true.  IMO, there is absolutely no excuse for a player or team to be so poor at the line.  High School girls (entire teams) regularly shoot 75% or better.

This game feels like a bad case of deja vu with some key differences. 

I am fast forwarding back to Feb 13 2008. This was the day they implicated Sampson and his recruiting violations went public. Later that night Brian Butch beat us on a 3 with about 4.5 seconds left that cost us Big Ten Title when we had just taken the lead a few seconds earlier in a back and forth game. Also throw in that my buddy who I was at the game with had a bit of a flu and upset stomach he was recovering from.

Now fast forward to tonight and we lose on a 3 with 1.6 seconds left from about the same spot but a couple feet further out (only other time since we have lost a lead at home with under 10 seconds left was atrocious PSU meltdown in 14) after taking lead a few seconds earlier. Also IU gets somewhat implicated in FBI scandal and I am recovering from a bit of a flu and upset stomach. 

Obviously a few key differences in that this loss didn't cost us a Big Ten Title or even an NCAA appearance since we are a middling team. Also the implication on the scandal is no where near as bad (yet and hopefully it stays that way) and we are far from the only player so if anything happens to us it will happen to dozens of other programs also. 

Obviously the 2 nights are not alike in every way but in my world there are some strange similarites.

Free throws. That's cost us several games now. That has to be addressed over the summer.

I still hate the Big Ten. There's no consistency from game to game or play to play. That one ref man..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Interesting that when I (quickly) look at Dayton's past team season stats on their website, they didn't have a FT% of 70+ under Archie at least since before 2013-14.

I can understand emphasizing other aspects of the game, and would agree that the better defense, better inside offense and less turnovers you commit (the areas it seems Archie has most improved the team this season), the less help you'll need from free throws. I just hope that if a low FT% is commonplace, that we play efficiently enough in other facets to offset it.

Yeah...FT's are kind of a personal thing IMO. I wouldn't too much into the Dayton stats...those guys had gigantic holes throughout their game, but worked really well together as a team. FT's are just about reps and confidence. Indiana kids have been shooting FT's since they could hold a ball and if we are making Indiana kids our core...our ft percentages will rise naturally.