Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Wisconsin - 1/2/18 @ 7:00 E.T.

I still say it's mostly bad players who have simply checked out.  They came here to play for a players coach who would do nothing but stand and clap all game while they jacked 3s and defense was always an option never a requirement.   Archie is the polar opposite of Crean.  These soft @$$ guys just aren't going to mesh well with him.  It really reminds me of what happened when Sampson was canned and Dakich took over.

Ok, then how long does Archie let the inmates run the asylum? It's his job to get it right. He can't just let it keep happening.

Just now, Josh said:

Ok, then how long does Archie let the inmates run the asylum? It's his job to get it right. He can't just let it keep happening.

He should bench the ones who aren't playing hard, absolutely. 

Cool. We aren’t talking about 1 player. We are talking about 90+% of an entire roster. His hands are tied. I will admit, I do not understand McSwain getting the mins that Smith should be getting. 

I’ll never understand it. Maybe McSwain and Archie are drinking buddies at the bar???? Hell idk why you play McSwain over Smith? I could maybe understand it in the first 7-8 games of season but we are 15 games in now. And he still gives him way more.

Now with Al. Maybe he has came down to earth a little bc I’ve thought since before Norte Dame that he needs to go to the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Everybody needs to stop panicking about this program and Archie...the talent on this team is just not very good at all. Crean left the cupboard bare to say the least. We have ZERO shooters and a terrible PG. Hard to win with that combination especially on the road in the B1G regardless of how bad the other team is. If you understand basketball you can see Archie is trying to get these players to play within themselves and they have to play FLAWLESS if they want any chance to win because they aren't good at all. These players aren't used to playing defense or disciplined basketball and again WE CANT SHOOT! Everyone will be back on the bandwagon and calling for Archie to be COY next year. If we see the same results next year it's really time to panic but I can't see that happening at all. Crean did a terrible job of recruiting the state and that is showing big time as we're losing top players year in and year out. Next year we have 2 of the 3 best players in the state coming in here and there is a slight chance we get ALL of the top 3 to build the base to something special. Give him time to get his players and system in place. Nobody was gonna come in right away and win with this team...they're just bad and we need to just accept it and move on. Playing with house money this season in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, there's a lot of truth in what you say.  Right now we are so far from being a talented team that I have to wonder how much improvement we can expect simply because of next year's incoming freshmen.

I still say it's mostly bad players who have simply checked out.  They came here to play for a players coach who would do nothing but stand and clap all game while they jacked 3s and defense was always an option never a requirement.   Archie is the polar opposite of Crean.  These soft @$$ guys just aren't going to mesh well with him.  It really reminds me of what happened when Sampson was canned and Dakich took over.

Someone hit the nail on the head?

This sounds dramatic but I promise you that it will play a part......this team quitting on their coach is the worst possible thing that could happen to Archie in terms of recruiting.... he has a huge hole to dig out of. These kids could have helped to lay a foundation for something special. Instead they quit as show zero pride. They’re losers. Harsh but true. 
I got blasted for saying this before but this is a 3 year rebuild minimum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yep and that's why we won't land Romeo.  MSU is FF bound this season and after this clusterF of a season it will be hard for Brooks to tell Izzo no.  TJD is an absolute must get and if he goes elsewhere Fred might as well have the lawyers fire up the paperwork and I hope the BOT tells them to add some for Fred too for not hiring the obvious hire in Gregg Marshall. 

The recruits for the most part are buying into what Archie is pitching as his vision for the program. He's got a different side to him that he keeps in-house, and it's an honest, no nonsense persona.

The guy has zero pieces in place for what he's trying to run. My only issue with him so far is not adapting his approach to the team he has. This isn't the roster to play a packline defense. When you try to fit a square peg into a round hole this is what you get. It's like trying to run Navy's triple option with Nate Sudfeld. It'll look worse than letting bad players fail at the system they're best suited for.

I have a feeling that something is going to fundamentally change in another two or three weeks with this team because he's not going to put up with this absent minded brand of basketball much longer. If we have more games like tonight, which we will, there's no point in keeping this roster intact the way it is now knowing at least half this group has no future with this program. Tighten the roster, go seven deep, and see who responds. We have three guys on this team who give a damn about showing up each night. Archie is no stranger to a short roster playing small ball. It worked for him quite a bit in 2014.

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Going to be a lot of empty seats throughout the rest of the season's home games.

Probably another home loss to purdoo too.

I don't look forward to playing PU.  With how our front court got beat like a drum tonight, that game will be a blood bath.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

A transition like this always gets worse before it gets better. This is the medicine IU basketball has to swallow if it is going to get back to the level the fans expect it to be. Archie isn't bringing in anyone that resembles the players on this roster. 

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I don't look forward to playing PU.  With how our front court got beat like a drum tonight, that game will be a blood bath.

But it's at home.  They're not nearly as good as Duke and the Hall will be rocking.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

But it's at home.  They're not nearly as good as Duke and the Hall will be rocking.

We'd better win a few games before then or it won't be rocking as much as we'd like.

But honestly, I don't think it matters. I'm dreading that game. We give up 4-5 inches to their bigs and if we double-down they'll just rain threes on us. It's going to be a nightmare.

I don't know if AM is the right choice for the long term or not but right now he's not meshing with these guys. He's also not been great with halftime and in-game adjustments which is concerning. All that said.....if I had a choice of changing the roster or changing the coach, I'd choose to change the roster. Regardless this is not enjoyable to watch. There isn't even a single individual that really excites me with his potential.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

A transition like this always gets worse before it gets better. This is the medicine IU basketball has to swallow if it is going to get back to the level the fans expect it to be. Archie isn't bringing in anyone that resembles the players on this roster. 
No but this is a 3 to 4 year rebuilt. We are not making the ncaa next year either. This is a dumpster fire right now.

That game had the excitement of a nice pleasant day in the garden, but then your wife comes out and tells you that she burned the lasagna and you’ll have to just eat salad because the car won’t start and Roger and Jenny can’t come pick you up to go out to dinner because Roger’s mom is in the hospital again. 

Throw their damn Arby’s out on the tarmac. **** this team. 

Mmmmm...
Arby’s

A few more games like this and the Archie haters are going to be beating the fire him war drums. We're 15 games into his first season with a bunch of players who don't give a crap. Chill. 
People have every right to be upset after 25 years of crappy basketball

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A few more games like this and the Archie haters are going to be beating the fire him war drums. We're 15 games into his first season with a bunch of players who don't give a crap. Chill. 

There isn't a single coach in the country who could win much with these guys. I'd hope most fans realize that.