Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Even teams like Villanova dance around.
MSU too.

The teams I consider really good that appear to have a cleaner record are Virginia, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin. That might be all. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

MSU is right there with them all.

Nova, I live here and have honestly never heard anything about Wright and staff. Maybe there is a defense around him bc of how he is worshipped here but, idk, I feel like Nova belongs in that second group. Do you say that bc of Omari Spellman?

2 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

Yes I realize this..I know the NCAA can't do anything..I was just saying it would be a lot better if that move was made

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

Ah okay sorry I misread your post then. 

I agree though. Do something like baseball does where they can either go pro out of high school or stay in college for multiple years. 

7 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Nova, I live here and have honestly never heard anything about Wright and staff. Maybe there is a defense around him bc of how he is worshipped here but, idk, I feel like Nova belongs in that second group. Do you say that bc of Omari Spellman?

Yeah, I remember a period of about 3ish years where MSU's recruiting hit a pretty significant dip. They lost a bunch of guys like Cliff Alexander, Jahlil Okafor and James Young and Izzo went on a big rant about guys stealing recruits from him using shady tactics. Then magically Izzo's recruiting spiked right back up.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I remember a period of about 3ish years where MSU's recruiting hit a pretty significant dip. They lost a bunch of guys like Cliff Alexander, Jahlil Okafor and James Young and Izzo went on a big rant about guys stealing recruits from him using shady tactics. Then magically Izzo's recruiting spiked right back up.

Yeah that was an ironic rant, I remember that. Branden Dawson recruitment, right before that, comes to mind. Absolute elite coach but gets a pass on so many issues. Anyone here remember the Keith Appling/ Adreian Payne police report? Yikes.

Yeah that was an ironic rant, I remember that. Branden Dawson recruitment, right before that, comes to mind. Absolute elite coach but gets a pass on so many issues. Anyone here remember the Keith Appling/ Adreian Payne police report? Yikes.

They have had a few swept under the rug. I am perfectly fine with leveling the playing field. We are almost the Notre Dame of college basketball. Holier than thou with our perception and then pissed with the product. Only recently has Notre Dame dipped into players 10-20 years ago would have got a coach run out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And Jalen Brunson.

MSU is almost as dirty as the others but their rep stays clean somehow. Pisses me off.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

I know IU's fanbase thinks IU should be above it but....I'm leaning the other way. Just the reality of recruiting. I know others will disagree.

It just depends what you mean by "it" when you say we should be above it.  From my limited knowledge of how recruiting and these things operate, there are various ways you can bend the rules or operate in the gray to get a kid to play for you.  The promise of connections to secure a post-amateur shoe deal, maybe a little $$ on the side if you're a player, meetings with reps, things like that don't really bother me too much, because it just doesn't really hurt anyone.  I'm not beholden to strictly obeying the NCAA's rules, because the NCAA is such a joke with selective enforcement of rules and seemingly always moving goalposts and standards.

I just don't want IU to turn into a destination for all the kids' handlers and "uncles" looking to leach off of a kid.  I don't want anyone like Lavar Ball or Tom Lyles at IU.  I don't care if that makes me out of touch or whatever, but I'll deal with years of 22-11 seasons before I see IU turn into that type of a program.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

IU should go across the boundaries line. Don't make it over the top but don't be squeaky clean either. It's very difficult to compete on the national scene without bending some rules

Plus the NCAA has shown that you aren't going to be punished unless you rat yourself out. There's no incentive to be squeaky clean when the guys in the gray areas are getting all the accolades. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Plus the NCAA has shown that you aren't going to be punished unless you rat yourself out. There's no incentive to be squeaky clean when the guys in the gray areas are getting all the accolades. 

Yep. We've seen it too many times where a program self reports and it gets hit with the sledgehammer

13 hours ago, schoosier said:

If you self report a few calls your program gets Tom Crean. Louisville & North Carolina cheat and win championships. I don't like the NCAA 

I really think it comes down to a few different issues here. If you give a program the death penalty for something like calling recruits too often, it gives the impression that you are really tough in your regulations. "Everyone look how harshly we handled this! We don't let this stuff slide." Of course, there may have been some personal vendettas thrown in there too.

Now, if you have a couple of programs that have recently won titles and there are stories of prostitution, kids taking "classes" tailored to push them through, and basically making a mockery of college athletics, and you are totally blindsided by it all, it makes it look like you really have no control at all. People may even start to question if there is even a point to your role in the whole process. Then you start to realize that your cushy job and all your cushy perks may come to an end.

Sometimes it's better for self-preservation to say, "There's nothing to see here folks!" than have people and institutions start questioning if you are really needed at all.