Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SG - Luguentz Dort to Arizona State

We're in Dort's final six, and five of those schools will likely get official visits, so of course we have a legit shot. 

Really good upside as a basketball player, and I don't doubt that he's a nice kid. About to enter his fourth different "barely there" high school in four years. Luguentz is not coming up with that strategery on his own, and I wonder how willing we will be to deal with whoever his handler(s) might be. Mecchh.

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We're in Dort's final six, and five of those schools will likely get official visits, so of course we have a legit shot. 

Really good upside as a basketball player, and I don't doubt that he's a nice kid. About to enter his fourth different "barely there" high school in four years. Luguentz is not coming up with that strategery on his own, and I wonder how willing we will be to deal with whoever his handler(s) might be. Mecchh.

That last part definitely scares me. No loyalty, which makes me wonder if his "handlers" would be too involved. 

Love his ability, hate the shady aspect surrounding him. Honestly I would pass for that reason.

Dort sets 3 officials from Adam Zagoria.  http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/08/26/2018-point-guard-luguentz-dort-sets-three-officials/

The 6-foot-4 Dortwill visit Oregon (Sept. 9), Arizona State (Sept. 16) and Baylor (Sept. 23). He’s also considering Miami, Indiana and Michigan State.

Indiana: “I just really like the coaching staff and the way that they are recruiting me right now. I haven’t been there and haven’t watched them play but I have a really good relationship with the coaches.”

Those 3 officials scream shady business. I have no respect for the recruiting of those schools. They are always involved with players like Dort with academic issues, etc...

The 3 he's considering much less grimey.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him, it just seems like an odd list. And a shady list.

Like I've said a bunch of times, these are the kids Louisville gets and they beat us 9 of ten times.

It's frustrating as a fan. I would like to be all high and mighty, but I want to win too. Hoping Archie can strike a balance.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This is the kind of recruitment that puts schools on probation. And I'll be shocked if he's eligible. No freaking thank you. 

The recruitment is up to IU, we don't have to do anything shady. Archie is who Archie is. If he were to do something shady here he would do it for any kid and if he isn't willing to here, he likely isn't going to for any kid.

IU controls the above board/below board

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

The recruitment is up to IU, we don't have to do anything shady. Archie is who Archie is. If he were to do something shady here he would do it for any kid and if he isn't willing to here, he likely isn't going to for any kid.

IU controls the above board/below board

You're right, of course, the school/staff does control the process. That's why I'm disappointed to see us involved here. Nobody is pristine at this level, except maybe Beilein, but I don't view this kid as a close call. Academic history is just rancid.

You're right, of course, the school/staff does control the process. That's why I'm disappointed to see us involved here. Nobody is pristine at this level, except maybe Beilein, but I don't view this kid as a close call. Academic history is just rancid.

Because he transferred schools several times, or is there more?

If he qualifies and we don't do anything to compromise ourselves then why not?

Because he transferred schools several times, or is there more?

If he qualifies and we don't do anything to compromise ourselves then why not?

Because he went to four barely-there high schools in four years, and his decision will be driven by handlers and what he's worth to them.

Flat out, and to a disturbing degree. No guarantee of disaster, but red flags to an unnecessary extent.

Because he went to four barely-there high schools in four years, and his decision will be driven by handlers and what he's worth to them.

Flat out, and to a disturbing degree. No guarantee of disaster, but red flags to an unnecessary extent.

Again though, 4 schools or not, if he qualifies academically then who cares?

As far as his decision being driven by handlers and what he's worth to them, where are you getting this?

Again though, 4 schools or not, if he qualifies academically then who cares?

As far as his decision being driven by handlers and what he's worth to them, where are you getting this?

There's a long posting history on this board that shows Dort's path. He followed a handler from barely there high school to barely there high school. Four times in four years.

I don't want a Shabazz Muhammad, Jamal Murray style two guard, even if he can get qualified. There is something to be said for not encouraging pathetic behavior, even if no one gets caught.

I try to live in reality; I know this dynamic is commonplace. Even pervasive. That doesn't mean I have to like it, or want it at IU.

I feel sorry for Dort - he's a pawn. Maybe the handlers get away with it; lord knows they do often enough. I simply hope that IU is not an accomplice; sometimes that doesn't end well.