Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Dane Fife

Complete connection with IUBB

Extraordinary leader and defender at IU

Only 37...perfect age for a 30 year run

Three years as an IUBB assistant coach

Then, five years as head coach at IUPUFW; his Mastadon squads had an improved record every single one of those five years

Five years being mentored by Izzo as the associate head coach and lead recruiter

A bit of a dice roll? Sure. But aren't most great choices?

Discuss

I've always thought Fife would make a good HC somewhere, I really wish he would have more experience as a HC so we could have more of a sample. I think he will be a HC someday, but I don't know if the risk is worth it. The ONLY way I see it happening is if we fire Crean and can't get any of our top 5 or so coaches and then give him a chance with he understanding he has 3-4 years to show something. I think that's highly unlikely though. I do wish him the best though, I really enjoyed watching him play. My favorite all time team (in my lifetime) was that 2002 team.

No. Not ready

When they got their first big time jobs, the following coaches also "weren't ready":

Bob Knight

Mike Kzyshkewskizckihsechki

Jim Boeheim

Dean Smith

Billy Donovan

Tom Izzo

Moral of the story? I don't know if Fife will be a great coach, but if he will be, the great ones are ready before you might think.

If we can't get a home run hire then I would rather take a flyer on a young guy than hire a good, but not great, coach in his 50s. Lack of experience doesn't bother me much. All of the greats were "inexperienced" at some point. If it works out then you've got your coach for the next 25-30 years. If it doesn't then you fire him and try again. 

I've been high on Fife. I wish he could have been a head coach at a mid major for at least a couple of more years . I think he is the next big thing in the future of young coaches. I just don't think it's the right time. I wouldn't be sad if we got him though, cause I think he will be great someday. I just don't think we as fans have the patience to wait for him to grow.

32 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not sure I'm willing to take a flyer on another Izzo protege. I've been hurt before

To be fair to Dane, how many people could really be on Izzo's bench game after game after game and somehow manage to not learn a single thing?

EDIT:  IU managed to find one, but I wouldn't think there'd be that many.

I like Fife.  He played the way that I wish IU played. Smart,hard nosed defense and he had attitude. Plus he's the lead recruiter.  He understands the culture he will understand that recruiting Indiana is important.  Fife is my first choice if we can't get Donovan or Stevens.  I want a defensive coach, who teaches fundamentals,who's teams take care of the ball.  That is our history, good defense.  We always had pride in that. 

He played at IU for The General, has IU bench experience, has been a head coach (yes at lowly IPW) and has been an asst. under a pretty damn good coach in Izzo.  No, he's not my first choice, but I'd certainly prefer Fife over many of the other names that have been thrown out as possible replacements.  

He played at IU for The General, has IU bench experience, has been a head coach (yes at lowly IPW) and has been an asst. under a pretty damn good coach in Izzo.  No, he's not my first choice, but I'd certainly prefer Fife over many of the other names that have been thrown out as possible replacements.  

This right here. Hard nosed. Tough Knight didn't have much more experience when he came to IU.

He just seems like a huge gamble. I guess all coaches are a gamble but we have to get this hire right. We can't waste another 5 to 7 years without without some deep runs.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk