Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) PF Jake Forrester to IU

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

The main things Jake needs to work on is handle and going to his left. He isn't clumsy. Solid footwork and balance. A lot of room for growth, but he isn't Hanner Perea by any stretch. Agree with you here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

shiver......

Maniru was all potential and terribly misranked. He didn't have "basketball skill". Jake actually has that. 
Yes he was but at the time I recall people being very excited about him. You can call him a bust afterwards easily but at the time few did. I recall somebody writing he would start from day one.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yes he was but at the time I recall people being very excited about him. You can call him a bust afterwards easily but at the time few did. I recall somebody writing he would start from day one.

That is the same for every recruit from Cody Zeller to Hanner Perea. That is the very natural process of recruiting and has been that way as long as I have been following this stuff. Very few people giving their opinions (it is a message board after all) have saw these kids in person or watched more than a few highlight videos. There are always the same people on every board from Peegs to 247 to here that will say every recruit sucks and is overrated to shout they told you so. Then you have 95% of the people genuinely happy a kid wants to play at their school. Very few actual scouts on a fan board like this either good or bad.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

That is the same for every recruit from Cody Zeller to Hanner Perea. That is the very natural process of recruiting and has been that way as long as I have been following this stuff. Very few people giving their opinions (it is a message board after all) have saw these kids in person or watched more than a few highlight videos. There are always the same people on every board from Peegs to 247 to here that will say every recruit sucks and is overrated to shout they told you so. Then you have 95% of the people genuinely happy a kid wants to play at their school. Very few actual scouts on a fan board like this either good or bad.

I was as guilty as anyone of thinking Hanner Perea would contribute based off highlights.  That opinion changed in a hurry when I actually saw him play with LaLu.

I was as guilty as anyone of thinking Hanner Perea would contribute based off highlights.  That opinion changed in a hurry when I actually saw him play with LaLu.
After the vaunted movement class flopped other than yogi i have learnwd not to get to excited about any recruit until we actually see them play. A top ten guy like Romeo would be a different story though.

I remember after his sophomore year they had him ranked 12 in the country. He probably should not have even been top of 200 by his sr year.

9 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Just bc you brought it up, not coming at you...but PA is way different than Indiana regarding connections and such. Archie is from Western PA. There is a such a large gap between Eastern PA and Western PA that, in regards to recruiting, they could be different states. He has no natural connections to Philly/Jersey/NY. If anything, Western PA (Pitt) leans west towards Ohio while Eastern PA (Philly) leans east toward Southern Jersey. Central PA is just a desert for talent...Forrester was about an hour and a half- hour 45 from Philly, so he came this way. Probably over 3 to Pittsburgh. 

Brusier, being in Philly, is going to have connections in Philly, Jersey, and some in NY. Talent around here is as elite as it comes, but it's consolidated to a few programs. Not as much throughout like, say, Indiana, so "top heavy" basically. But very important because of the tip top talent.

Appreciate the insight, hoosierpap!

And fwiw, I know it seems weird that I'm more plugged in to Indiana than where I actually live but I have limited basketball connections here in Philly. Family in Indiana helps me out. But, in talking to two guys today...they like Forrester...they are also are sure he is a stretch 4...gotta catch some of his HS games. Wish I still lived in West Chester.

27 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

And fwiw, I know it seems weird that I'm more plugged in to Indiana than where I actually live but I have limited basketball connections here in Philly. Family in Indiana helps me out. But, in talking to two guys today...they like Forrester...they are also are sure he is a stretch 4...gotta catch some of his HS games. Wish I still lived in West Chester.

Don't they see Race as a stretch 4 as well? I know we're looking to field forwards with length and go the "positionless" route, but seems weird to recruit 2 players in the same class that are basically supposed to play the same spot. 

I guess from reading around I thought the staff saw Forrester as our Center, for lack of a better term.

6 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Don't they see Race as a stretch 4 as well? I know we're looking to field forwards with length and go the "positionless" route, but seems weird to recruit 2 players in the same class that are basically supposed to play the same spot. 

I guess from reading around I thought the staff saw Forrester as our Center, for lack of a better term.

"They" have never seen Race play. These are Philly guys. That's my point, everyone in the Indiana realm seems to be saying he is a 5. The only two people I know who have seen him, without any bias (they don't know IU's recruiting class by heart or anything) say stretch 4.

Maybe he grows (literally) into that but I'm inclined to believe that isn't what he is now.