Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

From the New Albany Tribune

By AMANDA BEAM Local columnist

At AAU basketball tournaments, crowds of boys gather around the court when Romeo Langford takes the floor. His reputation as being one of best high school ballers in Indiana is known throughout the state, with an athleticism that leaves jaws open in awe.

My oldest son is one of them.

Local kids look up to the New Albany sophomore as an icon. In their wide eyes, they see their own, more accessible Stephen Curry. And with offers already in from Indiana, UCLA and Purdue, the wonder extends to adults as well.

But Romeo is no one but Romeo, a polite, soft-spoken young man who just loves the game. Fame hasn’t affected the 16-year-old.

Yes, he appreciates the kind words and the positive feedback. Still, it doesn’t change who he is or how he plays.

“I like it, but I don’t let it go to my head,” Langford said. “I hear them, and that’s it.”

Chances are you’ll be hearing a lot about Romeo. And with the season he had last year with the Bulldogs, basketball lovers should really be listening. On average, the 6-4 forward scored 17.6 points a game. Oh, yeah, he rebounds too, with a 5.8 per game norm.

Stats like these helped Romeo lead his team last season to a 23-3 record, as well as sectional and conference wins. For AAU, he plays up an age group with the 2017 Eric Gordon All-Stars.

Beyond New Albany, the Indianapolis Star ranked him as the top recruit in Indiana for the Class of 2018, while the website 247Sports ranked him 33rd in his class nationally.

And with this high school basketball season off to a phenomenal start, Romeo continues to impress. Just last weekend, he scored 28 points in a game against Evansville Harrison, with 12 rebounds, six assists and a trio of swatted shots for the state’s No. 1 ranked team.

That double-double as a 10th grade varsity player shows his promise.

“He’s just a phenomenal basketball player — he just really is,” New Albany head coach Jim Shannon told News and Tribune reporter Kevin Harris in February of this year. “He’s an extraordinary talent… He is a player that comes along once in a lifetime.”

What makes Romeo so exceptional? The answers vary. Some credit his amazing fundamentals. Others note his length and height add to his dominance. A few praise his uncanny awareness and anticipation on the floor.

Romeo, though, only has one answer for his success.

“Just working hard on and off the court and in the books,” he said. “I work that hard, and just add more stuff as I get older.”

Spend just a bit of time with Romeo and you realize he’s not just a good basketball player, but also a great kid. Ma’am follows most every one of his replies. Textbooks hold just as much as importance as playbooks. And a sense of humility permeates his actions.

You want to see Romeo succeed. In fact, Southern Indiana yearns for another major D1 player to call its own.

“He’s such a respectful kid. That’s how he’s been brought up,” said Matt Denison, Indiana AAU Chairperson. “The way he involves the team and other players is amazing. He seems to bring everyone else up to another level, which is great.”

Much like his son, Romeo’s father Tim Langford is the epitome of politeness. From Georgia, Tim taught his children both basketball and values. He remembered watching Romeo as a 4-year-old shooting on a goal in their hallway.

“He came and picked up the ball in the hallway, and he took a shot and he made the first one. Then we passed it back to him, and he made 10 out of 11,” Tim said.

“Shooting like that I thought, ‘We may have something here.’”

That “may” has now gone by the wayside. Romeo has something for sure, though where that will lead him is still anyone’s guess.

“It became clear in middle school he had all the tools — the body, the skills, the right upbringing — all the things you’d want in somebody to be a very strong high school player and beyond,” Denison said.

“He’s proven to be just that, a guy that has a huge upside and a chance to be one of the better players to come out of not just New Albany, but Southern Indiana and perhaps even the state.”

New Albany controlled the game until the last 5 min. i was really impressed with Romeo. He got to the line at really high rate and had a nasty put back dunk. Pike just didn't go away the whole game. Down 9 several times throughout the game. They have 3 Justin's on there team that carried them down the stretch. Justin Roberts especially

Looking like a long shot but man can this kid play. Best guard coming out of the state in Crean's tenure.

the game I watched him play at southport he played more SF, they had 2 smaller guards handling the ball and bringing it up but I can very well see him as a SG in college. The kid is a stud and was worth the price of admission (10 bucks). I would assume Louisville will be the favorite to land him if I had to guess

@WinnersChoice17: Romeo Langford with 21 points in HUGE WIN for New Albany vs Rival Jeffersonville 86-57 Final
@IndyStarSports

@KentSterling: Watching New Albany's Romeo Langford is like watching the movie Pleasantville when one guy is in color and the rest are in black & white.

I was at that game. Dude is legit. He has a jump shot that's as smooth as jbj and he has a great basketball iq on defense. Really hope iu goes all in for him. Great atmosphere too even though my red devils got embarrassed sold out crowd, nothing like indiana high school basketball

I am in that picture!! Well very blurry and you can't see me but I know exactly where I am LOL.....

I was one of the only Red Devils on the other side (sitting with 3 Bulldog Alums)....

I have discussed this before but maybe it is because he is just a Sophomore... There were no (or very few) double teams or ball denials for Romeo, Jeff was way out-manned and had no chance in this game but they played defense straight up. And multiple defenders throughout the game were on Romeo so it isn't like they put their best on him and hoped/thought it would work. In other threads about Cujo/GG etc their is discussion about this type of thing.... Now Romeo has a few options to pass to if they were to double him, so maybe that isn't an option??

Also I really try to keep age in perspective but he didn't look like he was far and away the best player on the court which I would expect with a potential D1 potential Mr Basketball player.

He had a couple nice put back dunks and a couple 3s... he also forced some shots and had back to back airballs at 1 point in the first half.

He is one of the taller players on the court and got some nice rebounds due to that but I didn't feel he blocked out well or was in particularly good position on rebounds.

Defensively he was just ok... a few nice blocks, but mostly from behind, didn't really stay in front of his man very well.

Did seem very composed. Jeff began pressing in the 2nd half and Romeo dribbled through it, found open teammates, made good cuts etc. Didn't seem to be effected by the Jeff fans chanting at him "Airball". Felt he played his game