Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

Indpls. Star written by Justin Sokeland of the Louisville Courier-Journal:  http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/21/romeo-langford-snaps-new-albany-scoring-record/79130858/?hootPostID=5e3e99ef2e1898a20819f422d1c578b9

LOUISVILLE -- Assistant coach Ryan Wheeler sat on the New Albany bench, resigned to the inevitable and defenseless to stop it, as his spot in the record book was relegated to a footnote. His place in program history was being erased before his eyes.

Wheeler knew this night would come, when his school single-game scoring record would be assaulted by the sensational, unstoppable sophomore on the basketball court in front of him. Before he is finished, before he departs for the still-unchosen college program, Romeo Langford could arguably be the greatest ever to wear the New Albany uniform. And that’s saying a lot.

On Saturday night, Langford shattered the record with 44 points during a 113-39 victory over Scottsburg. That’s correct. Langford scored more points than the opposing team, and he did it in less than three quarters, hitting 17-of-20 shots.

Wheeler had to smile. New Albany coach Jim Shannon was ready to take out his star, but somebody informed him Langford was within striking range of Wheeler’s 43-point game – set in 2004 – so Shannon left him in for one more basket. It didn’t take long.

The reaction caught Langford by surprise. He was oblivious to his total. “I was wondering why everyone was going so crazy when I made my last shot,” Langford said. But Wheeler knew, and he was OK with it. After all, he had a front-row seat for the show.

“I could have been anywhere else in the world, but I was sitting there coaching,” Wheeler said. “So it was pretty cool. It was unreal. I knew he was going to do it, but in the back of my mind there was a chance he wouldn’t. But you knew it was going to happen. He was in a zone. And there was nothing I could do about it.”

Langford erased that record in his 39th career high school game. He still has 2 ½ seasons left. New Albany has a rich basketball tradition – five Hall of Famers, 15 Indiana All-Stars, a state championship in 1973. His trajectory, his potential, his talent mark him to join at least two of those lists.

“I can only imagine what it will be like a year from now, two years from now,” Shannon said, shaking his head. “What he’s starting to do now is assert himself even more.”

His last two games left a lot of people shaking their heads. Langford was 12 of 12 from inside the 3-point arc against Scottsburg. He had six dunks and 33 points the next outing against Charlestown. He’s averaging 28 points per game. He’s not just piling up stats against overmatched teams. He’s doing that to everyone.

Watch the kid, as Shannon does every day, and the vocabulary starts to shrink. How do you describe the 6-foot-4 athlete who seems to glide without effort, dominate without stress? He is so smooth, so poised, it seems he plays in slow motion. Don’t be fooled.

“It looks like that, but that’s just the way I play,” Langford said. “It looks like I’m not trying, but I really am.”

“There are times when he makes it look like it’s effortless,” Shannon said. “The effort is there. Do I think he has another gear? Sure. Most kids do. It’s up to us, as he matures, to find it. I don’t think he’s anywhere close to reaching his potential. That’s the good news.”

He has the full arsenal – the soaring slams, the pull-up from mid-range, the perimeter jumper. He never seems angry, taking advice from his father to ignore the physical contact and the trash talk. He rarely smiles until the job is done.

Being unaware of his approach to the record is not unique. Wheeler had no idea how many he scored when he popped Louisville Male for 43. The scorers are too busy to count, leaving that job to others. Shannon felt a twinge of guilt for leaving his star on the court for 23 minutes.

“I felt bad about having him in the game, but I’m not going to cheat that kid out of minutes,” Shannon said. “Any time you break a record, it’s a big deal, no matter who the opponent is, no matter the year.

“I don’t think the record is all that important to him. I think he respects it, and he’s proud of it, but he will come back and play like that game is over. I don’t spend an enormous amount of time worrying about his mindset. He’s not concerned by records. The great ones just play. They’re not concerned about what they did yesterday, they’re more concerned about what they will do today.”

What about tomorrow? Langford agrees with his coach, believing the surface has only been scratched, that another level exists in his game.

“He’s a great kid,” Wheeler said. “He’s possibly going to be a pro, and I’m OK with a pro breaking my record.”

Eh, not saying he will. Parents aren't from Indiana so he may just seek the best opportunity for himself

Yep, been hearing the same thing. Also have heard that UofL and the other school from within that state would be the early favorite along with Duke. Still a long way from deciding and he wants to go through the recruiting process thoroughly.

Knowing a few of the coaches and teachers at NAHS. Everyone said he is a great kid and isnt going anywhere until his 4 years is up at NAHS. He is already in the national recruiting Spotlight so he really doesn't need to leave for some place like oak hill. Kid is in the gym before school putting in work. He is real nice right now and in two years he will be ridiculous.

1/29, a blowout 101 - 54 win for New Albany over Evansville North.  Langford left the game early in the 4th Q with 34 pts., 10 reb. and 3 assists. 

Newspaper account of the game:  http://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/boys-basketball-new-albany-blows-by-huskies/article_4e48dd2c-c710-11e5-8dc2-07020d5e3a72.html

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart

On 2/4, with New Albany leading Jennings 82 - 25 at the end of the 3rd Q, Langford exited the game with 44 pts., tied his own single game record.  For his 3 quarters of play he was 10 of 14 on 3's.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart