Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

bleedhoosier

Report: IU vs UK series may return by next season

We should be playing UK every year. Like some others, I don't care where they play, just play. Some won't like this, but I say let's get creative Fred Glass. Let's use UK to squeeze every ounce of exposure we can out of this thing.

An idea, call it the Rivalry Classic, presented by AT&T

4-year cycle double header with IU playing UK every year and the other "rivalry" opponent switching each year.
1) Indy (Louisville vs. MSU)
MSG (Syracuse vs. Georgetown)
Dallas (Texas vs. Floria)
Vegas (UCLA vs. Kansas)

I'm just making up the other matchups off the top of my head, but the point is let's get creative and really turn this into an event. That's what guys like the MSU AD have been doing.

They don't look to be to amazing next year. I don't think anyone's saying 40-0. So let's play em next year. A year where we can beat em, and hopefully beat em badly.

Not sure if I agree with just doing the neutral site because that is giving Calipari and Kentucky what they want, which is a platform to showcase their team in Indianapolis, one of the best hotbeds of basketball talent.

Similar to this year, they'll showcase regardless. Might as well be against us and we can beat them and they get nothing from it :)

I just don't like giving in to Calipari and his objective to turn UK into the equivalent of a national travelling team.  I believe marquee games should be played on campus and they should limit the number of off-campus (or whatever your home court is) games.  This is college basketball and should be played at the colleges, unless you are ok being a season ticket holder and seeing your team play a directional school or no name school outside of conference play?

Unfortunately, I think that IU needs it more than UK does, as we need that annual marquee non-conference game for recruiting, exposure, etc.  IU either needs to get this one back on the schedule or some other one.

Why do we want to play a team that cheats? If they aren't cheating then call it associating with shady people involved with bringing players to schools on behalf of unnamed benefactors.

The cheaters cheat to gain an advantage.  They should win.  What good does it do to reward a coach like Calipari for screwing up the game.  Why reward the NCAA that stands by and does nothing.  I don't want to play pUKe until Calipari and World Wide Wes have removed themselves from the Kentucky program.

I don't care who blinks first. I don't want to see a pissing match. I want to see Indiana and Kentucky play on a basketball court with two 10 foot rims.

This is where I have been the entire time on this. As a competitor I always had the mindset of ill play you anytime, anywhere and beat you. This shouldn't be a pissing match. Play it wherever and stop being petty.

If we don't want UK coming in and stealing Indiana kids, then beat them down on the court and prove we are better.

Yea I'm with the crowd that doesn't really care.I grew up watching the neutral games split down the middle with red and blue shirts. How about this. Since cal went running the next year knowing there is no way zeller and squad v2.0 wouldn't stomp UK.. We make them play next year.. Not when he gets to reload and it is convenient. Calipari has ruined a top notch rivalry just because he is a punk by nature.

couldnt disagree more with the general tone of this thread.  this issue wouldnt even exist had c-wat not made that shot.  iu-uk would've simply proceeded to play the last 3 seasons and counting home-and-home.  seems the majority of our fanbase has switched its strong stance of "this rivalry deserves home-and-home" to "i dont care where it's played, just play".  somewhat painful to read.  i think it's a massive disgrace to move any college basketball rivalry game, especially one of this prestige, away from the home courts.  neutral sites are for tournaments.  these border-sharing bluebloods battling nailbiters on the hall and rupp's iconic courts in front of a student and fan crowd so hyped that it's nearly blowing the lid off these historic venues is what makes the iu-uk rivalry stand out from so many.  you could not convince me that the watshot would have an identical or greater feel if it had happened in rca, freedom or lucas oil as opposed to the hall or rupp.  the college basketball rivalry environment and stadium energy produced on a home court cannot be replicated at any other level of basketball.  i for one do not want to see that trashed because kentucky is still butthurt, and wants to use this game to further bolster their brand.  as i've firmly held for the past few years, until the kentucky staff's cowardice and hypocrisy dissolves, **** em.  our season, at least to me, doesnt feel cheapened if they're not on the schedule.  they are not a prize or requirement.  we can easily manufacture a strong sos without the cats, and please for the love of god lets stop acting like they're this big king-of-the-playground bully we just have to take a swing at.  it's also nice to not hear dickie v rant about how the hall should be renamed the knight hall, center, whatever.

So much this. All of this. 

Sadly, this game would benefit us way more than UK. UK gets all the exposure all the time. It feels an awful lot like we are Purdue to Kentucky's IU these days. We hate them and they don't care about us.

They have no incentive to play us, so they won't, unless its on their terms. I guess Cal doesn't want a piece of Assembly Hall. And thats fine. We don't NEED Kentucky. We just need a premiere opponent. If UK doesn't want to do that reasonably, okay, see ya