Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

sirhoosierlot

OT: Scoring in college basketball

Does anyone see this as a non-issue? I think a ton of the problems with college basketball are caused by the refs having too much control over the game. Stopping the game with a constant barrage of fouls allowing the offense to do whatever they want. Allow contact! Defense leads to break-aways which leads to dunks which is what most casual fans find exciting anyway.  I do think that the shot clock could be lowered to 30 seconds, but more possessions doesn't lead to more points necessarily. What do you all think?  

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-basketballs-scoring-problem/

I like the idea to move to 30 seconds. The refs are the biggest problem. The block/charge is the most annoying thing in college basketball outside of the 90,000 timeouts and TV timeouts. Need to speed the game up to under 2 hours again. That will increase the pace of the game and hopefully the scoring will come back.

I think that lowering the shot clock is a bad idea.

IMO, most of the current college players are not really that good of shooters, mainly due to the lure of the NBA. The college game is left with kids that are being pushed into positions that they should not be.

Next, I am not sure why people are all concerned about pace and keeping the games under two hours and other stuff like that. I know that everyone gets all starred-eyed when you watch a "high powered" offensive team, but most of the current kids are not that good of decision makers and forceing them to have to make quicker decisions is going to lead to more turnovers, more poor shot selection and lower scores.

The time out situation and ref situation do need to be worked out. You want the game sped up a little, allow for a little more contact, like a few years back. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there needs to be a TV time out every four minutes, it completely interrupts the flow of the game...and don't get me started as to why when a coach calls a TO seconds prior to a TV TO and then at the next dead ball there is a TV TO. If they are going to have TV TOs every 4 minutes of play, give the coaches fewer TOs. Otherwise, have no dedicated TV TOs and when coaches call TOs, that is when commericals are shown.

I am more in favor of taking the clock back to 45 seconds, as I am a fan of college basketball and love to watch teams that run an offense (not the stand around and drive to the bucket and either throw up a circus shot or dish for a three "offense") and teams that play good defense. I could go on...

I think a lot of the "scoring issue" is the amount of offenses that rely on dribbling to create movement. The most effective offensive teams I've seen this year pass the ball.  I'm not sure how much AAU is to blame, if there is any one thing to blame, but that style of play dominates that game right now.  

I don't think it's really fair for the college game to be compared to the NBA level as far as scoring either.  85% of those guys can hit from anywhere on the floor and are the best players in the world. College kids are never going to be at that level no matter how much "offensive freedom" they have.  

I wonder what effect splitting the game into quarters would have.  

I think that lowering the shot clock is a bad idea.
IMO, most of the current college players are not really that good of shooters, mainly due to the lure of the NBA. The college game is left with kids that are being pushed into positions that they should not be.
Next, I am not sure why people are all concerned about pace and keeping the games under two hours and other stuff like that. I know that everyone gets all starred-eyed when you watch a "high powered" offensive team, but most of the current kids are not that good of decision makers and forceing them to have to make quicker decisions is going to lead to more turnovers, more poor shot selection and lower scores.
The time out situation and ref situation do need to be worked out. You want the game sped up a little, allow for a little more contact, like a few years back. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there needs to be a TV time out every four minutes, it completely interrupts the flow of the game...and don't get me started as to why when a coach calls a TO seconds prior to a TV TO and then at the next dead ball there is a TV TO. If they are going to have TV TOs every 4 minutes of play, give the coaches fewer TOs. Otherwise, have no dedicated TV TOs and when coaches call TOs, that is when commericals are shown.
I am more in favor of taking the clock back to 45 seconds, as I am a fan of college basketball and love to watch teams that run an offense (not the stand around and drive to the bucket and either throw up a circus shot or dish for a three "offense") and teams that play good defense. I could go on...

45 seconds would be an unmitigated disaster. So many coaches wouldn't run an offense for half a minute then run some unorganized because they don't have the players to keep up with the best teams.

And I still don't get how some of you guys are associating good defense with college ball. Virginia is a great defensive team, Florida last year was a great defensive team. The Kentucky teams we're seeing are just athletic freaks with great size, which is why they are so good defensively. There really are solid defenses that look better because most college offense is awful, both execution and talent wise.

OK...just read the article in question...the writer does make some valid points, but using the opinions of Davis and Bilas is biased, as they are a part of the entertainment-industrial complex and is as useful as asking a fish if it likes water...and citing the president is comical...but I won't go there.

I am not sure why everyone wants it to be like the NBA...I won't go there either, as I have before in other threads, but like a lot of other things in life, there is a natural progression and if you can pass one you can advance to the next level, which is more difficult and not the same as the one before.

But, I guess that I am probably in the minority, as I love to watch teams like Virginia, Wisconsin and Wichita St. as they have upperclassman that play most of the game, they are cohesive units and play great team offense and defense. Like I said before, I could go on...

45 seconds would be an unmitigated disaster. So many coaches wouldn't run an offense for half a minute then run some unorganized because they don't have the players to keep up with the best teams.

And that is different than what we saw this year?

And that is different than what we saw this year?

So we should stretch out the shot clock so they have even more time to not run offense and instead bring the game even more to a stand still. I don't really get the argument of adding more time to the shot clock like that is going to improve the offense. The shot clock isn't the issue, AAU basketball which doesn't actually teach offense anymore is the issue. Just giving the teams ten more seconds to run poorly executed offensive sets isn't going to improve college offense

Also, analytics kind of hurt too. I think it was LIHoosier or Wayne, but they brought up the fact that analytics kind of encourages discarding the mid-range game because the only good shot any more is a 3 or a dunk. Which is stupid

So we should stretch out the shot clock so they have even more time to not run offense and instead bring the game even more to a stand still. I don't really get the argument of adding more time to the shot clock like that is going to improve the offense. The shot clock isn't the issue, AAU basketball which doesn't actually teach offense anymore is the issue. Just giving the teams ten more seconds to run poorly executed offensive sets isn't going to improve college offense

Also, analytics kind of hurt too. I think it was LIHoosier or Wayne, but they brought up the fact that analytics kind of encourages discarding the mid-range game because the only good shot any more is a 3 or a dunk. Which is stupid

I thought about this earlier too. People are making the game a whole lot harder than it actually is. 

I am not advocating for the shot clock to go back to 45 seconds...it was merely my suggestion that the game was better then...beside, even if I was, it is never going to go back there anyway.

I would agree that AAU basketball is a problem. 

I am not advocating for the shot clock to go back to 45 seconds...it was merely my suggestion that the game was better then...beside, even if I was, it is never going to go back there anyway.

I would agree that AAU basketball is a problem. 

The game is continuing to move towards athleticism instead of fundamentals.  A lot of top recruits are still further ahead in athleticism than in their fundamentals.  If players are required to stay in school longer you will see a better brand of basketball at the collegiate level.

Too many small touch fouls are called. Small little fouls that have nothing to do with the game. Or little fouls away from the ball. Its annoying, slows down the game, and doesn't serve a purpose

This.

The game is continuing to move towards athleticism instead of fundamentals.  A lot of top recruits are still further ahead in athleticism than in their fundamentals.  If players are required to stay in school longer you will see a better brand of basketball at the collegiate level.

I could't agree more.

IMO, shortening of the shot clock will bring more dribble drive offenses, less motion. It may increase scoring, but make it more like the NBA. Which I do not watch very much of. I agree on those who mentioned the off ball foul situation. As for time outs, as long as tv pays the bill, we will have those every 4 time outs. But, I cannot see taking a TO from the teams.

The head of the NCAA rules committee stated today that the 30 second shot clock is likely to go into effect next season. He also expects the Battier arc to move from 3 to 4 feet from the basket similar to the NBA. It's likely that there won't be any changes to the dimensions of the paint or the 3 point line.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12775789/men-college-basketball-headed-30-second-shot-clock-according-ncaa-rules-committee-chairman

The head of the NCAA rules committee stated today that the 30 second shot clock is likely to go into effect next season. He also expects the Battier arc to move from 3 to 4 feet from the basket similar to the NBA. It's likely that there won't be any changes to the dimensions of the paint or the 3 point line.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12775789/men-college-basketball-headed-30-second-shot-clock-according-ncaa-rules-committee-chairman

I'm happy.