Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

The fans aren't going to the games?

Ok...sounds like we have identified some issues we can make a difference on:

1. We all voice our concerns about the lack of busses on gamenights to

a. IDS

b. Peegs

c. school elements such as Alumni Association, Athletic department, Varsity club, etc.

2. Put pressure on the Varsity club to assess the current "point" system and re-evaluate it's effectiveness

3. Have the school assess the current prices and limit sales to the online type of sites so they don't buy a bunch and drive up prices. Bring back the scalpers outside, bringing competitiveness to the market.

4. Have students start a petition to get better tix prices and seats. I remember getting tix in the upper balcony and knew damn-well my drunk ass was gonna fall over the rails (never happened in reality..just my imagination).

5. Maybe have a student start a website that is focused on students. the goal: inspire participation thru activities. motivate attendance, build comraderie, develop game day courses of action, synchronize game cheers/chants (example: Boilers suck!....something like cameron crazies have) trade/sell tix, and accessorize gameday apparel. I'm not sure if anything like this exists yet...

and most importantly:Someone pay for my airfare, expenses, bar tabs, lodging and expenses for any game. I will be happy to stand in Assembly Hall for a few hours.

[quote name="MartintheMopMan" post="138111" timestamp="1424203859"]The idea of sitting in the student section blows my mind. What happened to the "Stand-up old people" kids? No one should be sitting and passively watching the game while you're there, if you are you're missing the point. The reason that the Hall intimidates other teams and we have such a stellar win record there isn't because of the building, it's because of the fans. If you're not willing to be part of that then it's best you stay the hell out.

Really? The stellar win record is because of the fans standing, yelling, wiggling fingers? Sonny, when winning the big ten(10 teams then) and bringing championship banners home were commonplace, we didn't need the hooplah. We watched games, yelled and cheered, but IU was different than other basketball arenas. We didn't copy other schools and their hopping, yelling oooooooh during the opponents possession or free throws. Our players did our talking for us. We were never arrogant or naive enough to believe that our cheers really won games. If you've ever played a sport, and got in tune with it, you realize the fallacy of the " sixth man". Great players play in a zone that makes one oblivious to sights and sounds away from the immediate action. It's not easy to describe to those who have not experienced it. Only during breaks in play do players experience their surroundings.

If we really want seats full for home games, we need to stop renovation of an arena that has more poor seats than good ones, level the Hall, and build an arena that is made for fans and not just to copy the design of the football stadium.

[quote name="87ashtonhoosier" post="138181" timestamp="1424220617"][quote name="MartintheMopMan" post="138111" timestamp="1424203859"]The idea of sitting in the student section blows my mind. What happened to the "Stand-up old people" kids? No one should be sitting and passively watching the game while you're there, if you are you're missing the point. The reason that the Hall intimidates other teams and we have such a stellar win record there isn't because of the building, it's because of the fans. If you're not willing to be part of that then it's best you stay the hell out.

Really? The stellar win record is because of the fans standing, yelling, wiggling fingers? Sonny, when winning the big ten(10 teams then) and bringing championship banners home were commonplace, we didn't need the hooplah. We watched games, yelled and cheered, but IU was different than other basketball arenas. We didn't copy other schools and their hopping, yelling oooooooh during the opponents possession or free throws. Our players did our talking for us. We were never arrogant or naive enough to believe that our cheers really won games. If you've ever played a sport, and got in tune with it, you realize the fallacy of the " sixth man". Great players play in a zone that makes one oblivious to sights and sounds away from the immediate action. It's not easy to describe to those who have not experienced it. Only during breaks in play do players experience their surroundings.

If we really want seats full for home games, we need to stop renovation of an arena that has more poor seats than good ones, level the Hall, and build an arena that is made for fans and not just to copy the design of the football stadium.[/quote] are you saying that the fans don't have an impact? So if IU played in assembly hall to zero fans we would have the same winning percentage as we do with it full? No way

If we really want seats full for home games, we need to stop renovation of an arena that has more poor seats than good ones, level the Hall, and build an arena that is made for fans and not just to copy the design of the football stadium.

You yelled and cheered, and you don't think that changed anything? And when you yelled and cheered did you do it calmly, sitting down, careful not to spill your martini? "I say, a hip-hooray Hoosiers." "Yes yes, hip-hooray"

Why do you think it's harder to win on the road than at home if the crowd doesn't affect players? Strange air currents?

I graduated in 2012, but the current members of my frat have bitched and moaned about the ticket lottery system being the sole reason they didnt get season tickets. The randomness of the good seats for the "good games" and the fact that season tickets doesnt mean you get tickets to every game, turned them off.

Man, I miss my high school days... I went to every home game section C row 11. those were the good ole days :c

This is pathetic. FFS..when I was at school, you know how many tickets a season that I got? 6 and only 4 were Big 10 games. It didn't matter where the seats where, I went. No complaining about that the fact that 2 of those games were always balcony seats, I went. I had to stand in line outside AH on a saturday for 8 hours to turn in my application for seats with my buddies.

Some of this may have been true when you were heaving balls into peach baskets, but the fact of the matter is fan noise does impact games. No one says it wins games. It impacts them. I was a competitive athlete through high school (as i"m sure many others on the board were) and I can say that fan noise works both ways. It can be a pain to the opposition and it can provide an adrenaline boost to the team or players. As opposing players in the big ten have noted: when the hall is rocking and the fans are into the game, it's hard to even think.  Why do you think that opposing players in the conference almost universally say that we're the toughest place to play? The lights? Our dusty banners? No. Its the noise.

I get your point. We shouldn't need the noise to win games. Our coaching and play should do all of the talking, but the fact of the matter is that fans do make a difference and can spark some energy. Especially for a young team.

Haven't been on for awhile. Didn't read through the whole thread so this may have already been discussed, but selling student section tickets that are GA is extremely difficult because there is one line for GA and you must show your student ID to get in. Not many around campus are able to sell these tickets to others for that reason, which I find idiotic...

Haven't been on for awhile. Didn't read through the whole thread so this may have already been discussed, but selling student section tickets that are GA is extremely difficult because there is one line for GA and you must show your student ID to get in. Not many around campus are able to sell these tickets to others for that reason, which I find idiotic...

Wait why does having to have a student ID make it hard? I've had to show mine almost every time at the regular gate too.

Wait why does having to have a student ID make it hard? I've had to show mine almost every time at the regular gate too.

Yeah, that's how it is for all student tickets. You have to show your student ID because you're paying a lot less so they care that you're really a student but it's not like you have to match the original ticketholder or anything.

Yeah, that's how it is for all student tickets. You have to show your student ID because you're paying a lot less so they care that you're really a student but it's not like you have to match the original ticketholder or anything.

Yes I know. But he was making it sound like no one wants to buy/sell GA tickets because you have to show your ID at the door. That doesn't matter because you show your ID with any ticket and non-GA tickets sell fine.

Yes I know. But he was making it sound like no one wants to buy/sell GA tickets because you have to show your ID at the door. That doesn't matter because you show your ID with any ticket and non-GA tickets sell fine.

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was adding additional information to your post and supporting you. 

Some of this may have been true when you were heaving balls into peach baskets, but the fact of the matter is fan noise does impact games. No one says it wins games. It impacts them. I was a competitive athlete through high school (as i"m sure many others on the board were) and I can say that fan noise works both ways. It can be a pain to the opposition and it can provide an adrenaline boost to the team or players. As opposing players in the big ten have noted: when the hall is rocking and the fans are into the game, it's hard to even think. Why do you think that opposing players in the conference almost universally say that we're the toughest place to play? The lights? Our dusty banners? No. Its the noise.

I get your point. We shouldn't need the noise to win games. Our coaching and play should do all of the talking, but the fact of the matter is that fans do make a difference and can spark some energy. Especially for a young team.

They were Apple barrels, and yes, I am saying that the fans do not make the difference between wins and losses. Any player that plays in the high level of concentration it takes to be a GREAT player will tell you that they are oblivious to extemporaneous influence. The only time the impact felt is during breaks in action(timeouts) or pre-game. One thing I can't stomach are fans that take credit for a team's success. Noise only affects gameplay when words are necessary, not true with basketball. That's why changes in offensive and defensive sets are done with signaling.

In the old days, our fans didn't storm the court, or use other colleges gimmicks because we treated winning as business as usual. We didn't have the look-at-me pose to prove our prowess, instead we laid waste to our opponent, stacked them like cordwood(or Apple barrels).

Fans do give a boost, but they don't win games. Great team play wins games. Despite tradition, I would love to see a new arena where fans don't HAVE to stand to see the game. I'd love to see it filled for every game, not just with students, but with families, young kids, grandparents, all who attend for the love of the game and old IU. It's tough to do without a championship season when over half the seats have a sucky view of the court.

You yelled and cheered, and you don't think that changed anything? And when you yelled and cheered did you do it calmly, sitting down, careful not to spill your martini? "I say, a hip-hooray Hoosiers." "Yes yes, hip-hooray"

Why do you think it's harder to win on the road than at home if the crowd doesn't affect players? Strange air currents?

It's harder to gauge distance against the backdrop of different arenas. Minnesota's raised floor, for instance, gives a deceptively open view of a baseline shot that makes it hard to gauge, looks like your shooting for miles. Just like shooting at home in your backyard, changes to the background and court colors, etc..., affect play. Why do you think Cook hall looks just like the assembly hall floor? No, air currents don't alter a shot unless you shoot the ball very high, but fans seated on the court perimeter do. Michigan State field house was a perfect example. Fans could slap players(and did) because of their close proximity to the court. In that case fans did have an impact, but their court was an exception. No martinis, yes hiphiphooray!

Noise only affects gameplay when words are necessary, not true with basketball. That's why changes in offensive and defensive sets are done with signaling.

Show me a team that doesn't verbally communicate on defense and I will show you a very bad defensive basketball team. Switches, screens, skip passes should all routinely be called out.

Show me a team that doesn't verbally communicate on defense and I will show you a very bad defensive basketball team. Switches, screens, skip passes should all routinely be called out.

Yeah, he missed the mark on that one. There is a lot of verbal communication between players on defense or, as you said, should be.