Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

The fans aren't going to the games?

angry this one. It may be a small portion of the students and general admission, but to say that some are not going due to Crean is a reality whether you want to admit it or not. The weather, buses, technology, prices, performance, competition etc are all likely factors too.

Then why did they buy the tickets? They willingly chose, after a bad season, to give money to the AD for tickets. They knew about the low expectations, and bought the tickets. They just aren't going, which again, has been an issue at a ton of places for a while. You could see this beginning to happen when Gordon was here, even with all the hype. Lots of empty seats, just more scattered because there was no GA section.

I think this is another situation that probably doesn't need to be blown out of proportion. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) This isn't some reflection of the fans "boycotting" Crean. The team is winning and no matter how much people want the next Bobby Knight, they shouldn't be getting so upset about the fact that Crean isn't elite to stop going to games. Anyone who refuses to attend games because Crean is coach apparently doesn't realize that this isn't about Crean. It's about the kids wearing the jersey. We are the fans that are supposed to support them. If people are so upset that Crean isn't Brad Stevens that they're willing to disrespect the work that players like Yogi are putting in for this program, then that's truly sad.

2) As pointed out, the lack of preseason hype and the very unfortunate series of events leading up to the season after a disappointing season last year did not excite the general population. Depending on who returns next year, we'll most likely end up ranked during the preseason and generate buzz and excitement. Whoever pointed out the crummy B1G road games made a great point as well.

Maybe THIS has something to do with it:

In 6 years at UK, John Calipari has won 51 games WHILE RANKED #1 in the country... In 7 years at IU, Tom Crean has won 48 games in the Big 10.

People want to see high level Athletes, and im sure the anti Crean crowd is voicing their opinions too.

Maybe THIS has something to do with it:

In 6 years at UK, John Calipari has won 51 games WHILE RANKED #1 in the country... In 7 years at IU, Tom Crean has won 48 games in the Big 10.

People want to see high level Athletes, and im sure the anti Crean crowd is voicing their opinions too.

Dear Lord. Read. The. Thread. Oh, and...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/examining-the-low-student-attendance-epidemic/

Dear Lord. Read. The. Thread. Oh, and...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/examining-the-low-student-attendance-epidemic/

this is indiana not kentucky. Their fans are different. I guarantee we will pack the place thursday and if we win big the students and fans will b here the rest of the season. The year we were number one hoosier hysteria was turning people away packed and me and my wife went to a cupcake game around Christmas that was also packed. If we get it going this season or are ranked high next year it will b packed all season. If people get some faith in crean that will help as well.

Show me a team that doesn't verbally communicate on defense and I will show you a very bad defensive basketball team. Switches, screens, skip passes should all routinely be called out.

You think cheering fans drown out calling screens? No. I'm just saying fans add to the game atmosphere, but don't win or lose games.
If you want seats full for teams like the current one, with the current ticket allotment, it's time for a venue that is built for viewing the game. Assembly Hall has arguably the worst seating in the nation. Balcony seats, whether center or corner, are worthless, unless you enjoy watching the game on the scoreboard. Lower arena, if under the balconies, are nearly as bad. The only good seats are the $50000 court side Varsity Club and Foundation seats.

Wait why does having to have a student ID make it hard? I've had to show mine almost every time at the regular gate too.

I was trying to say that I think that if students can't go, these tickets should be able to be sold to the general public...at least AH will be full whether the GA tickets are all students or not

Regardless of the institution or sports program, fans in general are not willing to fork over their hard earned money for tickets, endure the traffic and foul weather, put up with the mass of humanity, and over pay for concessions, if they don't believe their team has a chance, or hope of winning national titles. Additionally, the more success an institution has had, the more difficult it will be for the school/AD to entice those fans to keep coming if the product, in their eyes, has diminished. 
Our basketball program has five banners, but none since 1987, (nearly 30 years). We've gone from a legendary coach who guided us to three of those banners, to a nice, albeit incompetent coach, to a slimy coach who ruined our school's pristine reputation, and most recently to a coach who has, after seven years at the helm, failed to win a championship or convince us one is coming soon. His teams have been, to put it mildly, inconsistent. For those of us old enough to have lived through the past three championships, we constantly judge the current teams by viewing them through the prism of past glories, and frankly, they just don't measure up. We don't mean to be harsh or critical, but neither do we look to be fooled in to believing something that isn't true. After seven years, fans have seen enough to know that spending their money, time and emotion supporting this program will only produce frustration, disappointment and a lower balance in their bank account. We can talk about demographics all you like, but in the end, fans will support their team, and attend their games in mass, when the product on the court convinces them that their investment may actually yield titles, not just wins. I suspect the number fans who truly still believe coach Crean can win a national championship at IU has fallen considerably in the last two years.

Im sorry, but this is reaching a level of stupidity I haven't seen in a while. Every ticket is sold. We don't need these big dramatic essays. Times and society have changed, and getting students to stay at games is a problem pretty much everywhere. The alumni attendance has been fine. Donations are up. We're starting a $150 mil facilities campaign after the largest donation in the history of the AD came in. Students just aren't going to games. They would rather watch in a bar.

this is indiana not kentucky. There fans are different. I guarantee we will pack the place thursday and if we win big the students and fans will b here the rest of the season. The year we were number one hoosier hysteria was turning people away packed and me and my wife went to a cupcake game around Christmas that was also packed. If we get it going this season or are ranked high next year it will b packed all season. If people get some faith in crean that will help as well.

First, it's "their." Second, our student attendance problem started down this path close to a decade ago. I hate UK, but how are their fans different? They've had more success recently, and get 20k for Big Blue Madness.

I was trying to say that I think that if students can't go, these tickets should be able to be sold to the general public...at least AH will be full whether the GA tickets are all students or not

I think students would just get tickets to then immediately sell them for a (probably large) profit to non-students in that scenario. We got our tickets for what, $380? I'm willing to bet there would be people out there that would happily buy those 12 tickets for $50+ apiece. It would defeat the purpose of student tickets completely. You might as well shrink the student section and make more public tickets available.

You might as well shrink the student section and make more public tickets available.

Amen. That's the way it was in the past, and should be now.

Fewer games for students makes them treasure their tickets more, and attend games they've got. I guess there is the rub, do you want seats filled, or do you want more student tickets allotted? If you want both, it won't happen. Not all students are die-hard sports fans, some view sports as an entertainment option or a social event. Therefore, going to the games holds lesser value than other activities when the weathers bad, or when there is a party to go to, etc...,
When more tickets go public, the investment in tickets is such that skipping games doesn't make economic sense, if nothing else. If people scalp tickets, so what. It's a chance for those who otherwise can't afford the cost of a season of tickets to take their kids to a game.

First, it's "their." Second, our student attendance problem started down this path close to a decade ago. I hate UK, but how are their fans different? They've had more success recently, and get 20k for Big Blue Madness.

I would debate with you but the grammar police thing infuriates me to no end lol. Thanks though now get lost

Im sorry, but this is reaching a level of stupidity I haven't seen in a while. Every ticket is sold. We don't need these big dramatic essays. Times and society have changed, and getting students to stay at games is a problem pretty much everywhere. The alumni attendance has been fine. Donations are up. We're starting a $150 mil facilities campaign after the largest donation in the history of the AD came in. Students just aren't going to games. They would rather watch in a bar.

Alright then.