Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I believe the NBA was waiting on all 30 teams to get a G-League team. I think they want a legitimate farm system. And it’s a good idea. Personally I’d love to see there be a type of D-2(G-League) and a D-3 under the G-League. Maybe D-3 players get paid in the 50-75K range and have the ability to work up. Kinda like in baseball. There are a lot of basketball players out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes, this accomplishes many things.

Gives even more young players a chance to develop and live out their dream before moving on.  So many baseball players have benefitted from this.   And it doesn't feed the mockery of college academic standards.

I wonder how much owners who are businessmen mind losing money on these things. That will determine how much they pay players to play against prospects. Hopefully they learn from MLBs mistakes. MLB is close to closing half of their minor league systems down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I wonder how much owners who are businessmen mind losing money on these things. That will determine how much they pay players to play against prospects. Hopefully they learn from MLBs mistakes. MLB is close to closing half of their minor league systems down.

I’ve always wondered how much benefit the minor leagues really are.  Figured one minor league team makes sense. Having multiple levels never did. 

Maybe back in the day when baseball was king but not nowadays. 

It would be a lot different for basketball. A team would be paying 40 players for all 3 levels compared to how many for the baseball systems?

I can tell you one thing. The Fort Wayne Mad Ants struggle to park butts in the seats. The Fort Wayne Komets (hockey) nearly quadruples the attendance. The Fort Wayne Tin Caps (baseball) does great based off of atmosphere, beer nights, extracurricular, nice field, etc. BUT with the backing from the Pacers, if it is beneficial enough to them to back a farm team it makes sense when you consider the NBA payroll. The Mad Ants put on a pretty good show, but the interest and money from the fans will never be there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It would be a lot different for basketball. A team would be paying 40 players for all 3 levels compared to how many for the baseball systems?

There are so many variables it is not worth going down a rabbit hole you don’t know exists when discussing Minor League Baseball. Just know the G league doesn’t draw. Minor league baseball does exponentially more. Fort Wayne has both. Almost 6k attendance for baseball over 140 games. Basketball? Under 2k in 50 games. Baseball pays that level on average $290 a week. It’s going up to around $500 and that’s why they might get down to the 3 or 4 levels. Arenas cost more to maintain than a baseball diamond. So there are variable levels to minors and pay. Just know there are around 250 minor leaguers getting paid in the course of a season. No matter what your salary for the minors is under $2 million. G league at $50k per for 30 players assuming that was an average? $1.5 million. So something that has 90 less games and draws exponentially less will be able to do that? I know you never look at the business side of things. But there is a reason owners are rich and it’s not because they make stupid decisions to make everyone else’s experience better in a years. Your wage idea along with massively growing the g league is not a viable business option. Again Major League Baseball will massively shrink their minor league systems due to the expenses associated with all of these affiliates.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I can tell you one thing. The Fort Wayne Mad Ants struggle to park butts in the seats. The Fort Wayne Komets (hockey) nearly quadruples the attendance. The Fort Wayne Tin Caps (baseball) does great based off of atmosphere, beer nights, extracurricular, nice field, etc. BUT with the backing from the Pacers, if it is beneficial enough to them to back a farm team it makes sense when you consider the NBA payroll. The Mad Ants put on a pretty good show, but the interest and money from the fans will never be there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agreed. The Fort Wayne Fury had trouble putting fans in the seats as well. Even when Master P played for the team. Lol.

Agreed. The Fort Wayne Fury had trouble putting fans in the seats as well. Even when Master P played for the team. Lol.

Those were my days. Everyone had it narrowed down to which hotel he was stationed at. Ughh, Na Na na na !

Stuff like this transcends a heated Rivalry. Prayers to the Newman family.

[/url]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I feel that kid is gonna end up whooping up on us. I know a lot here feel Franklin is better. That redshirt might have really helped him. Prayers to him and his family.

I feel that kid is gonna end up whooping up on us. I know a lot here feel Franklin is better. That redshirt might have really helped him. Prayers to him and his family.

He was always a good player. A better scorer than Franklin in HS. Hunter is proving to be a solid player for them as well.

So this is the last season for the Crossroads Classic right? We play Butler. Should be an interesting season for Butler as they lose Baldwin and McDermott, arguably their two best players and their top two scorers. And it seems they are losing Jordan Tucker as well.

Jalen Coleman-Lands formerly of Illinois; formerly of DePaul has placed his name in the transfer portal.  He was recently granted a 6th year of eligibility by the NCAA.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Jalen-Coleman-Lands-DePaul-basketball-transfer-portal-146272228/

Jalen Coleman-Lands formerly of Illinois; formerly of DePaul has placed his name in the transfer portal.  He was recently granted a 6th year of eligibility by the NCAA.
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Jalen-Coleman-Lands-DePaul-basketball-transfer-portal-146272228/

He was a very good 3pt shooter at Illinois. Took quite a dive at DePaul.

16 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So this is the last season for the Crossroads Classic right? We play Butler. Should be an interesting season for Butler as they lose Baldwin and McDermott, arguably their two best players and their top two scorers. And it seems they are losing Jordan Tucker as well.

Hopefully Dolson ends the CC and replaces it with something more intriguing.  CC is an IU event that subsidizes the AD coffers of three other programs.

Would suggest an event featuring IU, KY, UL and Butler in LOS.