Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

These refs have money on this game? No other reason to review this in a 14 point game with 18 seconds left. 

The line was U Conn by 11.5, so review wouldn't have changed anything.  But a pretty needless review

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

The line was U Conn by 11.5, so review wouldn't have changed anything.  But a pretty needless review

O/U was 160 and the combined score was 158. Definitely think one of them bet the over and wanted to extend the game. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

O/U was 160 and the combined score was 158. Definitely think one of them bet the over and wanted to extend the game. 

That's why I always lay some juice and buy a few points either way

41 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'll win my pool if U Conn wins and there are 148 or more points in the final.

That’s how I won my office pool last year. 
After the FF one of my partners running the pool emailed everyone saying the possible pool winners were down to a, b and c and left me out. Uh, picking the winner is big points and none of a,b or c picked UConn. I still rib him about it lol.

Oh, and it’s WHEN Uconn wins…

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

These refs have money on this game? No other reason to review this in a 14 point game with 18 seconds left. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Why are we reviewing a play in a 14-point game with 18 seconds to play?

Maybe I'm being too literal but if anyone is actually curious why, I believe it's because these crews are graded on their performance each game by referee associations and want to be careful about doing it by the book especially in a very visible game like the Final Four. 

I'm just a guy on the internet though so what do I know

3 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Maybe I'm being too literal but if anyone is actually curious why, I believe it's because these crews are graded on their performance each game by referee associations and want to be careful about doing it by the book especially in a very visible game like the Final Four. 

I'm just a guy on the internet though so what do I know

You're probably right. It's more fun to think they had money on it. It wasn't their best night, that's for sure. I thought they missed some easy calls both ways. 

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I cannot remember what year it was but it was when RMK was coaching at IU. The NCAA did an anonymous survey of college basketball and football officials ... 11% of them stated they bet on the games they were on reffing. 

Though it's seemingly being held together by a thread, the NCAA has to be pretty happy with this weekend ... 

Women's title game: The game's best player -- an iconic player -- against what has been by far, the best team. 

Men's title game: Probably the two best teams -- one seeking a repeat, the other trying to shake off the ignominy of recent losses to double-digit seeds, including the dreaded 1 vs. 16 defeat last season. 

My gut says UConn by 12+. Wouldn't be shocked if its closer to 20. 
I knocked on wood after I typed that so it doesn't count as a jinx.

I say no chance. But again, I’ve underestimated UConn most of the season. I love their starting 5.

But Purdue just doesn’t get the credit. Granted, an Indiana board shouldn’t give it to them. Anyway, the deciding factor will be what Clingan can accomplish defensively against Edey. Finally Painter will meet his match in Hurley. Both phenomenal coaches in game prep and in-game coaching. I’m not convinced Clingan is strong enough to keep Edey from getting where he wants to go. I also tend the trust the shooting from Purdue. Gillis, Loyer, Jones “feel” like they hit every 3 they take in important times.

I’ve had the bad feeling Purdue wins all season and that feeling hasn’t gone away, although UConn definitely seems like the team to stop them.

What’s gross, is either winner saddens me a bit. UConn and Hurley would claim pinnacle status of the sport, while Purdue would get that giant monkey off their back. I’m not excited to see these 2 at the top of the sport for the next 8 years while we do whatever it is that we do.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I say no chance. But again, I’ve underestimated UConn most of the season. I love their starting 5.

But Purdue just doesn’t get the credit. Granted, an Indiana board shouldn’t give it to them. Anyway, the deciding factor will be what Clingan can accomplish defensively against Edey. Finally Painter will meet his match in Hurley. Both phenomenal coaches in game prep and in-game coaching. I’m not convinced Clingan is strong enough to keep Edey from getting where he wants to go. I also tend the trust the shooting from Purdue. Gillis, Loyer, Jones “feel” like they hit every 3 they take in important times.

I’ve had the bad feeling Purdue wins all season and that feeling hasn’t gone away, although UConn definitely seems like the team to stop them.

What’s gross, is either winner saddens me a bit. UConn and Hurley would claim pinnacle status of the sport, while Purdue would get that giant monkey off their back. I’m not excited to see these 2 at the top of the sport for the next 8 years while we do whatever it is that we do.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I probably overestimate UConn. In their only 3 losses, their opponent shot over 50% from three. Of course, how the game is referee'd will play a big part of things, including the narrative afterwards most likely. How Hurley uses Clingan and Johnson will be interesting. I look for Samson Johnson to do what he does best and be disruptive... I like Castle, Karaban, Newton, and Diarra vs the rest of Purdue's group and think that UConn's got a lot more in their tool box in terms of how they can win games. I do think it will be competitive through the first half, maybe even first 30 minutes. Painter will probably try to mimic the Creighton gameplan vs UConn where they found success, but things are different at this point in the season... I'm glad we don't have to wait long to find out.

Since last years tournament UConn has been as dominant as any team in my lifetime. Seen them live a couple times since then.
Newton and Castle will eat Smith/Jones for lunch. Spencer has been perfect for that offense, essentially an extra coach on the court who hits 45% from 3.
I’m not particularly worried. Go Huskies. 

Without Edey next year Purdue returns to a top 20-25 team annually, if that. This is their chance and lucky for us theyre going up against a juggernaut.