Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) C Thon Maker

I see Maker either at UK or nowhere... there's talk he may not even play in college. He's still trying to finish high school to reclassify. If that doesn't work, I doubt he sticks around in high school or prep school for another year. 

Having said that, it's encouraging to be mentioned along side UK and KU this late in the recruitment. Tom Crean may not be the best coach in the country, but no one can knock his work ethic. If we land Maker, it will be because of that. 

Not a lot of schools possess a coach with that ability right now. Cal, K, Self, Roy, etc have a lot more to sell than Crean does, so TC has to put in a lot more legwork. Crean has recruited star players to a bad team before and now he has a much better roster to sell. 

I doubt IU could take Maker and Bryant (would they even want to play together in their only year of college?) so it'll be interesting to see how these recruitments play out. 

We have placed 3 guys in the lotto in past 2 drafts. Thon will also be a lotto pick no matter where he goes.

1/2 Big men we placed in draft was in the D-League at one point this year. Not sure Crean is the best at developing Big men. I would argue all Cody did here was get stronger. That would be due to Jenay not Tom.

Would he get drafted in lottery? Probably. Would he develop and reach maximum potential at IU where he could then get a big 2nd contract in NBA (where the real money is)? Maybe.

1/2 Big men we placed in draft was in the D-League at one point this year. Not sure Crean is the best at developing Big men. I would argue all Cody did here was get stronger. That would be due to Jenay not Tom.

Would he get drafted in lottery? Probably. Would he develop and reach maximum potential at IU where he could then get a big 2nd contract in NBA (where the real money is)? Maybe.

Most big men spend some time in the D league especially when they're as young as Noah is. It takes time to get up to speed as a big man in the NBA and you're going against guys 10-15 years older than you. Look at Zeller. He had his struggles adjusting to the league and now is beginning to thrive.

Nothing you say here supports your point that if Thon comes to IU he will be a 2nd rounder which is what your original post said.

Most big men spend some time in the D league especially when they're as young as Noah is. It takes time to get up to speed as a big man in the NBA and you're going against guys 10-15 years older than you. Look at Zeller. He had his struggles adjusting to the league and now is beginning to thrive.

Nothing you say here supports your point that if Thon comes to IU he will be a 2nd rounder which is what your original post said.

In this 2nd post I literally said He would probably still get drafted in the Lottery.

Because he wants to make a tournament run and be a 1st round pick not a bubble team and a possible late 2nd rounder like all of our stars.

In this 2nd post I literally said He would probably still get drafted in the Lottery.

I was referring to your first post where you state all of our stars are late 2nd rounders above.  

Also a players second contract in the NBA has little to nothing to do with where he went to College.  

I was referring to your first post where you state all of our stars are late 2nd rounders above.  

Also a players second contract in the NBA has little to nothing to do with where he went to College.  

All of my posts have more to do with development than where they get drafted. And developing a big man has a lot to do with where you go to college and who is teaching you. I was just stating that Cal's record with Big's is a little bit better than Crean's.

All of my posts have more to do with development than where they get drafted. And developing a big man has a lot to do with where you go to college and who is teaching you. I was just stating that Cal's record with Big's is a little bit better than Crean's.

Yet in 2013 Vonleh was ranked 8th and Dakari Johnson was ranked 9th by Rivals coming out of high school.  One of those two played for Crean at IU and was drafted in the lottery.  The other played for Cal at UK and is projected as a 2nd rounder this year.  I'll let you tell me which one.

To get back on topic If Thon decides to come to IU he will likely be a top 5 pick.  I think with his game he would thrive under Crean's uptempo system.

Edit: Development in college of course is important but it is more about development once you're in the league.  Most of the best bigs in the NBA developed while in the league and not in college.  Some (Chandler, Dwight) didn't even play in college.  It is a huge misconception that guys don't develop in the league.  They do and they develop more than they ever do in college.

Yet in 2013 Vonleh was ranked 8th and Dakari Johnson was ranked 9th by Rivals coming out of high school.  One of those two played for Crean at IU and was drafted in the lottery.  The other played for Cal at UK and is projected as a 2nd rounder this year.  I'll let you tell me which one.

To get back on topic If Thon decides to come to IU he will likely be a top 5 pick.  I think with his game he would thrive under Crean's uptempo system.

Edit: Development in college of course is important but it is more about development once you're in the league.  Most of the best bigs in the NBA developed while in the league and not in college.  Some (Chandler, Dwight) didn't even play in college.  It is a huge misconception that guys don't develop in the league.  They do and they develop more than they ever do in college.

If Crean is such a guru with Big's then why do we have none on our team? As of today our starting PF or C will be Hanner yet again. How may does Cal have on his team? I guess Hanner knows something that the 8 or 9 seven footers that Cal has had the past 4-5 years doesn't know.

Back on the subject. I have no faith we land Thon, if we do then we will under utilize him like we did Vonleh, which is why he had 1 foot out the door before the season was even over.

If Crean is such a guru with Big's then why do we have none on our team? As of today our starting PF or C will be Hanner yet again. How may does Cal have on his team? I guess Hanner knows something that the 8 or 9 seven footers that Cal has had the past 4-5 years doesn't know.

Back on the subject. I have no faith we land Thon, if we do then we will under utilize him like we did Vonleh, which is why he had 1 foot out the door before the season was even over.

Nice.

Cal is hoarding bigs no doubt.  I know if I am Thon or Bryant and I look at what Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee have had to deal with sitting on bench and delaying their NBA careers due to lack of exposure I am thinking hard if that is what I really want.  As you said it is all about getting to that 2nd contract as an NBA player.  Part of that process is getting to the league as quick as possible.  

Also, if you think Cal's player development is the reason he can get all these McDonald's All American you are being ignorant to Cal's entire slimey career.

Thon's game is perfect for Crean's system because he will get on the break and run which Noah was not willing to do.  Similar to Zeller Thon will be able to score fast break points at record setting clips if he comes to IU.