Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Do Not Fire Mike Woodson

33 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Neither are a sure grand slam. If IU would have hired Pope this year this board would have went crazy. Also if May wasn't from Indiana he wouldn't be on our short list if candidates.

Oh! I thought you asked for potentially elite new hires, not whether some delusional fans would whine about hiring them.And Dusty May was on the short list for every top job. His IU ties would have been a bonus, not a necessity.

4 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It would be far better for the program if he stepped down after a successful season. Every coach since Knight (except for Sampson) has been fired and the result was someone else coming in to clean up the mess and getting multiple seasons of built-in excuses. It's not going to be as easy as some people think to land a quality replacement, but our chances go up significantly if we're looking to build off a big year instead of launching yet another rebuild. 

100% agree with this!  You are spot on and it would be the best for the program but we all know he’s too stubborn and bullheaded enough not to step down.

But, it's 1,100 pages of little to no substance except their rally cry......it's like long car trip with your kids constantly saying "are we there yet".

Now they do it just to bump the thread to the top of the board, which they've been warned about by a couple mods.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

But, it's 1,100 pages of little to no substance except their rally cry......it's like long car trip with your kids constantly saying "are we there yet".

Now they do it just to bump the thread to the top of the board, which they've been warned about by a couple mods.

Are we there yet?

Keep in line Mods. Personal attacks are written in the forum rules.

Good to see your very active in this thread. Quit worrying about other posters and start posting how great coach woodson is! That's what this is all about

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

Fun Fact: CMW has a 63% winning percent as coach at IU. 3rd best in 60 years at IU.

60 seasons technically brings in Branch so he’d be 4th best. Remove Branch and we’ve only had one good coach in that time plus 1.5 seasons of Sampson. So while an interesting framing, it is kind of damning with faint praise. Either way, I’d concede he’s better than Watson, Oliver, Davis and Archie. 

The scary thing is that outside of Branch and Knight, we’re basically not much. Almost no intuitional inertia. 

18 hours ago, str8baller said:

60 seasons technically brings in Branch so he’d be 4th best. Remove Branch and we’ve only had one good coach in that time plus 1.5 seasons of Sampson. So while an interesting framing, it is kind of damning with faint praise. Either way, I’d concede he’s better than Watson, Oliver, Davis and Archie. 

The scary thing is that outside of Branch and Knight, we’re basically not much. Almost no intuitional inertia. 

Yep, the more hires we see the more obvious it becomes that IU really just got lucky on a few hires. Just look to how inept the football team has historically been as evidence of this in addition to other basketball coaches you mentioned.

So "technically" you're saying Dakich was better.....

In reality, if using McCracken in the mix, it goes back 84 years and 11 coaches.

Yep, outside of the magic in a bottle hire like RMK, next coach historically won't won't move the needle.

16 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Yep, the more hires we see the more obvious it becomes that IU really just got lucky on a few hires. Just look to how inept the football team has historically been as evidence of this in addition to other basketball coaches you mentioned.

At one point we were the only school with two coaches with multiple titles in basketball. That fact along with Everett Dean (essentially 3 HoF coaches hired in a 50yr stretch ) would’ve made me think IU was different. And maybe we were at one point, a long time ago. Whatever magic might have existed has long run its course. 

12 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

So "technically" you're saying Dakich was better.....emoji43.pngemoji94.png

I reality, if using McCracken in the mix, it goes back 84 years and 11 coaches.

Yep, outside of the magic in a bottle hire like RMK, next coach historically won't won't move the needle.

I don’t really count Dakich. Probably shouldn’t even include Oliver, either. Less than one season isn’t much of a tell.  

I only mentioned McCracken because if you count the last 60 seasons on bball ref, McCracken’s last season was exactly 60 seasons ago. He went 19-5 and is indisputably our second best coach ever.  

If we leave Dean (interesting career, fwiw) aside since most of his greatness was accomplished else where, it’s not a real high bar to get to #3 all-time on IU’s list. A B10 champ and FF run for Woody would probably do it assuming he doesn’t have any more seasons like last year on his way out. 

On 8/10/2024 at 8:55 AM, Schreckbagger said:

Fun Fact: CMW has a 63% winning percent as coach at IU. 3rd best in 60 years at IU.

That is right in line with IU's win percentage of .634

Indiana Hoosiers Men's Basketball
2024–25 Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball team
University Indiana University Bloomington
First season 1901
All-time record 1,931-1,117 (.634)

That is right in line with IU's win percentage of .634

Indiana Hoosiers Men's Basketball
2024–25 Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball team
University Indiana University Bloomington
First season 1901
All-time record 1,931-1,117 (.634)
How about without RMK ballooning those numbers.

Ouch.....