Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

President Whitten - 2024 Faculty No Vote

55 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t know what needs to happen but the political slant of all major Universities including Indiana and the not-so-subtle indoctrination therein needs a shift and a reset. 

Higher education should aim to be apolitical as well, but we all know that isn’t how things have been for a long time. McRobbie opened my eyes to things, and they’ve only been opened wider since.  

The politicalness of education runs deeper than just one party and goes beyond public universities.  Follow the money trail of those making profit for charter schools and the decisions being made at the governmental level making the decisions on the funding of those schools receiving public funding.  So much money tied up in those voting for dollars sent to those schools by people that are profiting from them.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Choosing to abide by the decision of those voting is a choice.

Yup…this.

Because it was a non-binding referendum it simply revealed a major schism; nothing more and nothing less, but a notable moment nonetheless.

For me? At that point it doesn’t matter all that much what the issues are.

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup…this.

Because it was a non-binding referendum it simply revealed a major schism; nothing more and nothing less, but a notable moment nonetheless.

For me? At that point it doesn’t matter all that much what the issues are.

25ish pct. is a "major schism?"  

2 hours ago, J34 said:

Where are all of the supporters of the women's movement on this? 

Indiana University has their first woman president(after over 200 years), and all of a sudden after not even 3 years on the job, people are saying she's incompetent at her job. In today's world, this would be considered sexism!

Wouldn't she fall under the DEI policies the universities/corporations are pushing for?

Damn. Go off

3 hours ago, J34 said:

Where are all of the supporters of the women's movement on this? 

Indiana University has their first woman president(after over 200 years), and all of a sudden after not even 3 years on the job, people are saying she's incompetent at her job. In today's world, this would be considered sexism!

It's pretty telling that they don't have her back.  Perhaps she is awful?

Or....people who don't know the details can just blindly support her because of her political beliefs or gender, then cry victim like some are doing.  People love to play victim as though they're being persecuted because of shaky perceptions.  

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Or maybe those upset about the faculty holding a no confidence vote that holds zero actual power should just get over it.  It’s amazing to me the amount of vitriol that had been posted toward IU administration when it comes to the status of the basketball coach but then when it comes to someone questioning how administration operates that works for said administration, they are throwing ‘hissy fits’ and should ‘get over it’.

I really couldn't careless. But it's without a doubt just a hissy fit because some feelings were hurt. Adults acting like children because they didn't get the correct blue cup.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

It's pretty telling that they don't have her back.  Perhaps she is awful?

Or....people who don't know the details can just blindly support her because of her political beliefs or gender, then cry victim like some are doing.  People love to play victim as though they're being persecuted because of shaky perceptions.  

Perhaps she is awful! But, it's going to take more than 25% of the faculty to convince people that she is.

Have no idea what political beliefs are, nor do I  care. Playing the victim card seems to go both ways, just depends on how you look at it. 

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Perhaps she is awful! But, it's going to take more than 25% of the faculty to convince people that she is.

If 25% of employees want a leader gone and are willing to go on record saying so...that's a lot!  Maybe you work in a toxic workplace where that number is ok, but that is not normal.  

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Adam Herbert was the last to receive a no confidence vote at IU -- and it wasn't a formal one, but rather a straw poll of 125 factulty members.  103 voted no confidence.  Herbert resigned three months later.  The 'it would take more than 25% of the faculty to convince people that she is' awful really has not been a true statistical measure of whether a president gets removed/resigns.  Harvard University had a historical no confidence vote in the early 2000s.....with under 20% of the faculty voting and the vote was about 55/45 no confidence.  25% voting isn't a traditional low number of those voting on the measure, but 93% voting no confidence is on the extremely high end.  There are many reasons that a person would choose not to vote.  Fear of retribution is one;  feeling that the vote will not change anything or make things worse is another.  But I've been trying to find no confidence votes that would match the number of faculty that voted in IU's vote and I'm simply not finding them, so to downplay the number the voting doesn't really match up with with has happened historically.

Studies have shown that no confidence votes that do result in a no confidence result for the president are a 50/50 type of thing as to whether the president resigns/retires/is relieved of their job by the BOT.  Study below had it at 56%.

https://collegepresidentresearch.uark.edu/2017/12/power-of-the-faculty/

7 hours ago, Josh said:

If 25% of employees want a leader gone and are willing to go on record saying so...that's a lot!  Maybe you work in a toxic workplace where that number is ok, but that is not normal.  

"Toxic"? What's toxic is what alot of these people are teaching our youth.

Speaking of crying victim!

7 hours ago, Josh said:

She was so toxic, they gave gave her a raise.

Screenshot_20240421_074724_Chrome.jpg

28 minutes ago, J34 said:

"Toxic"? What's toxic is what alot of these people are teaching our youth.

Speaking of crying victim!

What makes these professors toxic? I may be ignorant but I don't see how these actions reflect toxicity. 

Has anyone considered that perhaps President Whitten is following through on the very things she told the BoT she'd pursue that got her hired to begin with or that she's following the direction the BoT told her they'd like to see the university go when they hired her.  Clearly she is a far different president than we've seen at IU for a great many years.

There is a growing discussion taking place concerning the purpose of education. One side wants it to be an activist agent for social change. The other wants it to be an apolitical entity that gives students the tools to succeed in life. The book "The Queering of the American Child" by Logan Lansing and James Lindsey does a pretty good job of showing how we got, although it primarily addresses what is happening in elementary and secondary schools. The balance between academic freedom and censorship is a tricky one. As a lifelong resident of Indiana, it's not difficult for me to predict where the legislature is going fall on any given issue. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Has anyone considered that perhaps President Whitten is following through on the very things she told the BoT she'd pursue that got her hired to begin with or that she's following the direction the BoT told her they'd like to see the university go when they hired her.  Clearly she is a far different president than we've seen at IU for a great many years.

That’s just it. Her boss is the BOT.  And as Cthomas points out things are changing at the college level.  The public isn’t going to continue to fund a lot of BS.