Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

For those of us that work for a living instead of living on the board, could somebody please use full names so I can look them up?  Rice?  Carlysle?  Hickman?  Who are these dudes we keep talking about?

If you take a look at the first post in this thread, @Class of '66 Old Farthas posted the full names of everyone IU has contacted.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

For those of us that work for a living instead of living on the board, could somebody please use full names so I can look them up?  Rice?  Carlysle?  Hickman?  Who are these dudes we keep talking about?

Myles Rice

Kannan Carlyle

Oumar Ballo

Connor Hickman 

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I have more questions about the offense, not defense with that. Ballo is huge, he would help any team in the country. But pairing him next to Malik doesn’t seem like it would work. The paint is going to be suffocated especially with some guards on the perimeter who are not major threats of scoring from the outside. 

Defense would likely be fine, especially inside. Offense, I’m not buying it. Didn’t Woodson say he wanted to have a modern offense during his intro press conference? This seems like he’s going to go even further away from modern. 

Assembly Call had a great take on this the other day. Ballo played with Tubelis 2 years ago (6’10 240 lbs) who had almost identical shooting numbers to Reneau. They essentially played two traditional bigs with 3 dynamic guards only one of which shot above 40% from 3. They had a top 5 KenPom offense.

Ballo is not a high usage player. He’s not somebody who takes 15 shots a game that you force feed every possession. He’s great in PnR lob action and a garbage man on the offensive boards. Get the ball up to the rim and he’s going to get it.

24 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Ballo played with Tubelis 2 years ago (6’10 240 lbs) who had almost identical shooting numbers to Reneau. They essentially played two traditional bigs with 3 dynamic guards only one of which shot above 40% from 3. They had a top 5 KenPom offense.

They were up tempo and shot the heck out of the ball from 3. They were 48th in 3s made and 20th in percentage.  Had two guys over 40% and several more north of 35%. 

Not really comparable to Woodys IU teams. 

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

They were up tempo and shot the heck out of the ball from 3. They were 48th in 3s made and 20th in percentage.  Had two guys over 40% and several more north of 35%. 

Right, they had good guards lol. You can play Ballo and Reneau together and still make it work. That was literally the point I was making.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Myles Rice

Kannan Carlyle

Oumar Ballo

Connor Hickman 

Yes, I want all of these portal transfer to suit up in the candy stripes next year!!!!

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If you take a look at the first post in this thread, @Class of '66 Old Farthas posted the full names of everyone IU has contacted.

Well who in the he double hockey sticks wants to go all they way back to the first post in this thread.  And who would have thought anyone would have posted every portal transfer that iU has contacted?  Especially for us working class citizens who only get on here occasionally, I definitely get on here more than I really have time for, lol.  Come on Brum, have a little compassion for your fellow IU fans. lol 

59 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Assembly Call had a great take on this the other day. Ballo played with Tubelis 2 years ago (6’10 240 lbs) who had almost identical shooting numbers to Reneau. They essentially played two traditional bigs with 3 dynamic guards only one of which shot above 40% from 3. They had a top 5 KenPom offense.

Ballo is not a high usage player. He’s not somebody who takes 15 shots a game that you force feed every possession. He’s great in PnR lob action and a garbage man on the offensive boards. Get the ball up to the rim and he’s going to get it.

I question whether some of those at Assembly Call understand basketball, especially after comments like this. Tubelis was way more versatile than Malik AND an All-American. Malik has nowhere near the same game or level of play of Tubelis. They were pumping out so much confidence last season about being contenders while those of us who understand the game, questioned Woodys scheme and potential spacing issues on offense, which came to fruition. Rice and Carlyle can create BUT Ballo and Malik will be clogging up the driving lanes. Woody NEEDS shooters if he’s going to play this style. 

23 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Right, they had good guards lol. You can play Ballo and Reneau together and still make it work. That was literally the point I was making.

You missed the point.  It wasn't only quality of guards but style of play. Woody can change the former but not the latter.  

You tried to make it out like hiting 3s wasnt key to them having a top 5 offense saying only one guy shot over 40% from 3.  

13 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

I question whether some of those at Assembly Call understand basketball, especially after comments like this. Tubelis was way more versatile than Malik AND an All-American. Malik has nowhere near the same game or level of play of Tubelis. They were pumping out so much confidence last season about being contenders while those of us who understand the game, questioned Woodys scheme and potential spacing issues on offense, which came to fruition. Rice and Carlyle can create BUT Ballo and Malik will be clogging up the driving lanes. Woody NEEDS shooters if he’s going to play this style. 

Tubelis was a better version of Malik, didn’t insinuate otherwise, but their roles were eerily similar. They didn’t play 4 out. They played essentially two traditional bigs and made it work because they had guards (multiple) who could create their own shot. IU has had one guard in 3 years capable of doing such at a high level. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Right, completely different offensive system 

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Right, completely different offensive system 

It’s not a completely different offensive system other than playing at a faster tempo. A more effective version sure, they had better guards. That’s obvious.