Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Not to be forgotten, Cupps is a coach's kid.  I can see him developing into a more skilled Leal... being able to get other guys in the right place, coach on the floor type. He also came across as a hard nosed guy.

Every team needs a player like Cupps. Someone who other players respect and listen to. Obviously, as a freshman he hadn't earned his stripes yet. I fully believe Gabe will grow into this kind of role, and we'll be happy he's a Hoosier.

Isn’t that Leal? I kid, I kid…

Just now, IndyHoops said:

He played how many mins a game? Got off how many 3s a game versus IU? Who by the way missed the NCAA. If his goal was to play more and shoot more, it was the right move.

That also means he's not someone we need/want/should have on our roster. 

There were also, more important matters, at play for Mr. Bates. 

1 hour ago, Silat Player said:

Agree with this to a degree, however, it doesn't really take into account the injury bug, which seems to hit IUBB particularly hard. The ever-present boot is always seen on the IU bench. At what point next year will people say exactly what they did this year, "I wish Woody would've used that final scholarship?"

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

Leaving an open scholly in the portal age IS malpractice. 

Absolutely. "Saving" a scholarship in the current environment is beyond malpractice, and well into "profoundly retarded" territory. 

It is clear that rosters will be remade annually going forward, so take a a lower level guy with 1-2yrs left and stash him on the bench. Obviously be clear about the expectations with him, but I am confident there is some 6'9" kid that is a decent player at XYZ State that will take a free ride at IU to be the 12th guy as insurance against injuries. 

Those of you saying we only need to add 1 big man are: A) Delusional thinking Woodson is gonna change his offense and Reneau will play meaningful mins at the 5. B) Delusional thinking IU can get through a season without 2 big bodies. Fatigue/fouls/injuries are assured and someone has to defend the other teams post. I don't want to relive Colin Hartman defending the 5 :(  

I'm hoping for a starting PG, SG, C and a back-up PF & C. That gives IU 6 guards, 2 SF and 4 PF/C. Use #13 for another big body or a redshirt. 

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

This isn't the bash Mike Woodson thread. If you want to do that, take it to the appropriate place. Writing off Gabe Cupps after a single year after being thrusted into a role he wasn't ready for is just silly. 

agreed

Just now, btownqb said:

Agreed, but that’s not the point. The point was Woodson doesn’t have a history of developing players that aren’t NBA level. And since he is buying a team this year and not focusing on high school kids, that’s probably not his goal next year either. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

One of the most important things for him seemed to be moving closer to where his daughter lived.  Not every transfer is totally about money or getting more shots.  If he would have stayed, he would have certainly gotten shots at IU.  He asked IU for a lot of NIL in order to come back, but basically I believe he asked for that much because that is what it would have taken for him to not move back near home.  I would be willing to bet that what IU was willing to give him in NIL money is more than he got at Missouri.

3 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Agreed, but that’s not the point. The point was Woodson doesn’t have a history of developing players that aren’t NBA level. And since he is buying a team this year and not focusing on high school kids, that’s probably not his goal next year either. 

Ehh.. Malik has improved a ton, so has Trey. 

squashed another myth

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

One of the most important things for him seemed to be moving closer to where his daughter lived.  Not every transfer is totally about money or getting more shots.  If he would have stayed, he would have certainly gotten shots at IU.  He asked IU for a lot of NIL in order to come back, but basically I believe he asked for that much because that is what it would have taken for him to not move back near home.  I would be willing to bet that what IU was willing to give him in NIL money is more than he got at Missouri.

As a parent of a 4-month-old... I can't imagine being states apart for long stretches of time. It wouldn't have mattered what IU offered me. 

14 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

If IU wasn’t trying to buy a team and was building for the future, you would have a point. Woodson isn’t in the business of developing players like Cupps. One and done? Sure…

Woodson doesn’t develop guys like Cupps but is only interested in one and dones?

Woodsons starters last year were:

6th year X (not exactly a one and done),  

who was replaced by Cupps (who, according to you, apparently doesn’t interest Woodson),

Galloway (I’m going to check but I don’t think he was a one and done),

MR (who developed and will be a junior next year),

MM (who developed and will be.a soph next year) and

Ware.  

I know we keep talking about improvement, but the staff can only give you the tools.  You as a player have to have the want to as well.  I have no clue about the kids at IU, but I do know that if a kid only goes through the motions they will never improve.  

Not sure who to blame here.  Could be a little of both, but having the basketball staff we have, there has to be some knowledge of the game and how to improve basic skills.  With that said we were horrible at ball protection and free throws, so what do i know LOL

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Woodson doesn’t develop guys like Cupps but is only interested in one and dones?

Woodsons starters last year were:

6th year X (not exactly a one and done),  

who was replaced by Cupps (who, according to you, apparently doesn’t interest Woodson),

Galloway (I’m going to check but I don’t think he was a one and done),

MR (who developed and will be a junior next year),

MM (who developed and will be.a soph next year) and

Ware.  

The was the 94th best team in the country and almost got him fired. Don’t think that’s the plan this time around.

22 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

You also have to “buy” high school kids and the payoff is that 40% or so of them end up transferring.

I’d  prefer a combination of high school and portal guys.
In regards to your take that he did not focus on high school kids….we offered a lot of guys (Liam. Boogie, Queen…according to 247 we offered 32 guys) and spent quite a bit of time on some of them.  Did the staff fail with the HS recruiting? Yes indeed but you imply they didn’t go after HS kids.

The was the 94th best team in the country and almost got him fired. Don’t think that’s the plan this time around.

You twist things to an amusing degree.

I didn’t say he was successful but rather was pointing out that your “take”, that Woody only cares about one and dones rather than guys that can be developed, was severely flawed.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bro.. he played on a team that went 0-20 in conference play. Tough to paint that as a good decision for Bates. 

He went from a bad team to a slightly worse team but made a lot more money at Missouri. Tough to paint as a bad decision to support his family by being closer to home and making more money

Trey isn’t a Woodson recruit and you can make the argument he was worse this year than last. 

It's not relevant whether he was "his recruit" or not.

But no, there is no way to argue TG was better last year, than this past year. 

11p vs. 7p 

5a vs 2a ... he was better to significantly better this past season, compared to last. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He went from a bad team to a slightly worse team but made a lot more money at Missouri. Tough to paint as a bad decision to support his family by being closer to home and making more money

No. He went from an average team to a historically awful team. In regards to being relevant in CBB, yeah awful decision. Glad he's closer to family though. 

Him going to Missouri and being MARGINALLY successful is great. Doesn't have anything to do with IU though. 

7 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

You also have to “buy” high school kids and the payoff is that 40% or so of them end up transferring.

I’d  prefer a combination of high school and portal guys.
In regards to your take that he did not focus on high school kids….we offered a lot of guys (Liam. Boogie, Queen…according to 247 we offered 32 guys) and spent quite a bit of time on some of them.  Did the staff fail with the HS recruiting? Yes indeed but you imply they didn’t go after HS kids.

Those are NBA level kids. Again…like Tucker, that’s what Woodson was after. And I and not bashing him, just the facts. It’s completely fine to have that strategy with NIL and the portal.

How many Indiana high school kids is he after? Or 3 star kids? Low 4 star kids? Ya know, the kids Painter brings in every year.