Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I get your point but if the story is true (not doubting that Chris heard it but who knows if the source is 100% correct) I’m not exactly enamored with a recruit telling a coach what style of play he wants while demanding a big bag$$$

I could be wrong, but my guess is that it's not the recruit saying it.  It would probably be those around him (former AAU coaches or high school coach, advisor) that says Connor likes IU, but he's not sure of the style of play is what he's looking for.  

(Okay, I'm a little late.  This has already been clarified.)

Just now, Chris007 said:

I never said he told IU that. I said he had told friends that if he was going to go to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

I doubt he would tell a head coach this. More likely he would hear their sales pitch and then choose another program

^^This^^

Just like a Ware-style rim running shot blocker would want to hear that the scheme was staying the same.

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I get your point but if the story is true (not doubting that Chris heard it but who knows if the source is 100% correct) I’m not exactly enamored with a recruit telling a coach what style of play he wants while demanding a big bag$$$

I understand this, but I really don't think Hickman is even close to being alone in wanting them to change their offense. Recruits, fans, media are all harping on it.

It is way more of a Woody problem than this particular recruit's problem. Just where we are at.

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I doubt he's saying "Hey Mike, you need to change your offense for me to come."  Probably more like, "do I really fit in this style of offense, Mike?"   

Just took a look at portal commitments so far and 4 of the top 50 guys have committed to a new program.

In the BT (or Big 16, 18, 20, 30? I can’t keep track anymore) four schools have portal commitments with Maryland (which seems to be somewhat of a mess) leading the way with 2 while Illinois, Rutgers and PSU each have one.

What the list doesn’t show, of course, is how many players have narrowed down to 1-3 schools. I don’t think it’s time to say this off season will be a disaster but we need to get commitments (especially guards) rather quickly.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

And got embarrassed by Robert Morris, horrible example, tbh. 

This changes nothing, not playing in the NIT was the only way to go. 

It isn't a bad example just because they lost. Hell the next season they went back to the championship game.

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I never said he told IU that. I said he had told friends that if he was going to go to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

I doubt he would tell a head coach this. More likely he would hear their sales pitch and then choose another program

I humbly bow down and acknowledge my mis-interpretation…:)

PS: keep the updates coming. Even for those of us with reading comprehension issues.

Just now, DChoosier said:

I humbly bow down and acknowledge my mis-interpretation…:)

PS: keep the updates coming. Even for those of us with reading comprehension issues.

No your all good. I just wanted to clarify that he didn't tell the coach that. Now it would probably be cool if a recruit did tell a head coach he didn't like his offense and pay me a lot of money

Just now, Chris007 said:

No your all good. I just wanted to clarify that he didn't tell the coach that. Now it would probably be cool if a recruit did tell a head coach he didn't like his offense and pay me a lot of money

Yes,

I get it and the humbly bowing down comment was just a joke (and I didn’t even bow that far down)……

42 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I kind of get that in general terms. But what Woodson runs is not even modern basketball. I have no problem with a guard telling the recruiting coach that he's not coming if all he's going to get to do is feed the post, big bags of money or not. If Woodson won't change his style of play, I can't see any guards wanting to come here no matter how big the payday is.

14 hours ago, spe317 said:

If anyone has the balls to grab Woodson’s attention—it’s X. He can easily identify guys looking for a sack of cash. He’d be nuts not to hear him. His input could make a …vas deferens on the outcome next year. 

I read this as "grabs Woodson's balls"

The Tyme (NGW?) dude on Twitter (X) is implying everyone worried about the canceled visits are idiots and the real discussions are going on through back channels with guys nobody is paying attention to.

Whoever runs that account better be right because he has been going after quite a few of the IU bloggers/reporters in comments.  If dude is wrong he is begging to get dunked on by a whole bunch of people.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I think that the system is already broken and so is the roster.  I don't know if it matters much who you get in here because some of the guys who stuck around when mixed with this coaching staff points to problems I am already seeing no matter who they bring in through the portal.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I kind of get that in general terms. But what Woodson runs is not even modern basketball. I have no problem with a guard telling the recruiting coach that he's not coming if all he's going to get to do is feed the post, big bags of money or not. If Woodson won't change his style of play, I can't see any guards wanting to come here no matter how big the payday is.

I am going to finally reply to this offensive talk. @AZ Hoosier don't take this personally because it is not directed at you but the general talk of needing a new offense.

When you have an All-American center (TJD) you feed him the ball. When you have a projected NBA Draftee (Ware) you feed him the ball. Outside in, Inside out ... makes no difference. I don't care if you call Woodson's offense "zoom", whatever ... it is basically a pick and roll offense he ran for decades in the NBA. IT IS WHAT HE DOES!!!

When you have 'shooters" that can't hit the 3 consistently with those two centers playing inside back to back year and add in Race or Malik the offense is ran through them. The ***** is IU plays two bigs inside. Fine, get some shooters that can hit the 3 on a consistent basis and that will lead to them taking more threes.

It makes no sense to shoot 20-30 threes per game if you cannot hit 30% of them. How many times did last year's team shoot 19% or lower than 25% from 3???? More attempts does not equal more made shots .... Percentages don't lie.

Sure, run more screens for "shooters" like Nevada, Indiana State, UCONN, etc ... but Woodson is NBA pick and roll, create mismatches and kick it out for a 3 (he doesn't do it enough) .... also how many times are IU shooters ready to shoot the 3 as soon as they catch the ball? Not enough. Take a look at three point shooters in this tournament and they never hesitate shooting the three when they receive the ball outside the 3 point line. As soon as they catch the ball outside the 3 point line they are letting it rip. NO hesitation.

YES ... IU did look good with only Ware or Reneau playing inside SOMETIMES, and all 4 outside BUT compared to other teams that run that .... rarely did IU have the lane open playing 4 out and 1 inside like these other teams do.

IMO ... Mgbako came on at the end of the season shooting 3's and moving inside for a drive ... his 3 point shooting will improve this summer. Reneau could hit the wide open "set shot" 3 as I call it but this summer he needs to improve shooting that shot as soon as he catches the ball outside the 3 point line. Galloway will spend the summer recovering from surgery, little time to improve his shot ... Cupps should live with Jordan Hulls and shoot a million shots per day ONCE he is taught correct shooting technique. 

Finally SIGN AT LEAST TWO 3 POINT SHOOTERS !!!!

Otherwise Woodson will run the same offense passing to bigs inside, Reneau and TBD center.

PLUS factor in what these returning players and new portal players are told when they are signing on the dotted line for another year .... start or off bench ... green light shoot ... or inside post emphasis. Those discussions IMO are also a factor in what kind of offense system is played, no matter what fans want. 

FINALLY ... over the summer ... ALL players learn how to do a basic block out of their man anywhere on the court when a shot is taken and f****** rebound !!!

Edited by IH8PU

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Whoever runs that account better be right because he has been going after quite a few of the IU bloggers/reporters in comments.  If dude is wrong he is begging to get dunked on by a whole bunch of people.

The beautiful thing about extreme narcissism is the even if NGW turns out to be completely and totally wrong, it will actually be because the rest of us idiots didn’t actually understand what he was explaining in the first place.

These people can be a train wreck and it is so draining to deal with. Glad he’s no longer gracing these halls with his presence.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I believe this "we skipped to get a head start on the portal" is a largely false premise.

We likely skipped the tournaments because of, in order of priority/importance:

1. Ware (likely), Banks and Gunn (probably), and maybe X, Gallo, or Leal (all of whom were injured to some degree) would not have played; we couldn't have run out anywhere near a full roster. So our team would've been MR, GC, MM, Sparks, Walker, and maybe one or two more at most. That is unworkable.
  2. We pre-empted the possibility that we wouldn't have been selected for the NIT, which would've been hella embarrassing.
  3. We didn't want to play in front of a less than interested and full Assembly Hall and potentially lose, which woulda also been embarrassing. Like 2017, when we accepted a sad-faced NT bid, and got rolled by Georgia Tech in front of 5,000 fans.
  4. Finally and maybe the lowest down the list, we wanted the staff to prepare for and engage in portal season as early as possible.

I'd buy that it was a combo of #1 an #2 but we said it was #4. On #3 as others have pointed out, little to no chance we were going to host a game, but didn't we decline to host in 2017 and played at Ga. Tech? The point remains....we got rolled.

I really hope there was solid reasoning behind it. Because if a program that's performed like Indiana has for the last 20 years simultaneously sticks with Woodson while also feeling it's too good for and/or above the NIT, we're much farther into la la land than I thought.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

but didn't we decline to host in 2017 and played at Ga. Tech? The point remains....we got rolled.

Yes, that game was at GT and it was big sad. We hosted in 2019, won 2 games, then lost to Wichita in the quarterfinals.

The Tyme (NGW?) dude on Twitter (X) is implying everyone worried about the canceled visits are idiots and the real discussions are going on through back channels with guys nobody is paying attention to.
Honestly, at the end of the day, I think that the system is already broken and so is the roster.  I don't know if it matters much who you get in here because some of the guys who stuck around when mixed with this coaching staff points to problems I am already seeing no matter who they bring in through the portal.
Tyme will immediately block anyone on Twitter who questions him. He is not open to any other points of view.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm saying we're behind Cincy and Nebraska. Drew Adams recruited him to Bradley and they're very close. 

I'm saying he's told people that for him to come to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

I know that we all been saying it and Woody has to been hearing it.  However why does a potential portal pick up thinks Woody would listen to a word about his inside out offense?  

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

As Rabby and Eric said on HH podcast they just released. It's very hard to get guards and shooters to come play in this style of offense. It doesn't matter if you have lots of money to pay.

Also whenever you have to use name-calling to get your point across, you are usually the idiot. 

Who all is he calling names now?

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Tyme will immediately block anyone on Twitter who questions him. He is not open to any other points of view.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't reply.  I figure it is the other side of the divide.  Eventually it will all play out.  I take a negative view of next year, we'll see how it goes.