Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just wanted to add a comment on the bag dropping.

Id recommend the fanbase not villainize the bag dropping from Indiana but instead be happy we can win bag drops now. 

its been going on for eternity in college basketball and for the most part those dropping the biggest bags are winning the most games. 

I can pretty much assure you if we stop dropping bags the fanbase will have a lot more to worry about than we already do.

id recommend embracing it and just leaving it out of the equation. It’s been a part of high level recruiting forever and now it just expands into mid level recruiting as well. 

Be happy we can compete in that for now and cross your fingers the staff uses its salary cap wisely. 

100% - now we just have to compete on the court.

7 minutes ago, Trish said:

Now this is funny! 

Rice is an upgrade from Johnson and Cupps. We’ll see exactly how the guards are utilized with Malik and Ballo taking up the majority of the possessions. 

Why would Ballo take up possessions? We should continue to play through Malik-- his efg% was higher as a SO than TJD was as a SR. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

When he first entered the portal and National services and talent evaluators were doing their scouting reports most basically said this kid wild have his pick at where he would go and that he could play anywhere.  I’m no talent evaluator but I watch a ton of college basketball and every time I watched Washington St play I always ask myself how in the world did Washington St get a kid like this and wished a team I was invested in had a guard like him.   Now I get to see how that will go next year 

I’m sort of surprised he didn’t follow his coach to Stanford. Perhaps it was his grades? 

I’ve talked to people who have had to scout against Rice, apparently he’s going to be a solid get for Indiana. I imagine he’ll start from Day 1.

Just now, btownqb said:

Why would Ballo take up possessions? We should continue to play through Malik-- his efg% was higher as a SO than TJD was as a SR. 

These guys don’t know what they’re talking about it. Leave them be.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Absolutely cannot play Power 5 basketball with Humrichous and Reneau at the 4 and 5 for long stretches. 

You may be generous here. Not sure you can even do it for short stretches. 

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The “out” version is reflected when you have guards who can’t make shots. But you knew that already.

Which is what he is looking at now, hoping they can make "the jump" as a sophomore.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Woodson recently said the game is played inside - out. Ballo is huge, he’s going to seal his guys early and often. If Malik can step outside an hit a 3 that will be great. But Ballo is layups, dunk-ins, and rebounds. He’s going to be the first if not second option next season. 

Assuming he comes to Indiana. 

Indiana will likely pound the inside with Malik and Ballo. Guards will need to be able to hit the 3. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Last sentence was unnecessary.  The inside doesn’t work unless you have a willing passers and knowing when and how to pass out of a double team.  If IU going to run back that offense the post players will need to do a better job of passing out of the post unlike times last year where it never made it back to the out part of the inside-out 

It’s not unnecessary when you’re responding to somebody being purposely obtuse. If you think “inside-out” is a concept used exclusively by Woodson you shouldn’t be allowed to comment on a college basketball message board.

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Last sentence was unnecessary.  The inside doesn’t work unless you have a willing passers and knowing when and how to pass out of a double team.  If IU going to run back that offense the post players will need to do a better job of passing out of the post unlike times last year where it never made it back to the out part of the inside-out 

Don't worry, I'm a big boy.   Woodson sucks at the "inside-out." 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

It’s not unnecessary when you’re responding to somebody being purposely obtuse. If you think “inside-out” is a concept used exclusively by Woodson you shouldn’t be allowed to comment on a college basketball message board.

Anyone can comment on anything within the rules on a free college basketball message board.  

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

Woodson recently said the game is played inside - out. Ballo is huge, he’s going to seal his guys early and often. If Malik can step outside an hit a 3 that will be great. But Ballo is layups, dunk-ins, and rebounds. He’s going to be the first if not second option next season. 

Indiana will likely pound the inside with Malik and Ballo. Guards will need to be able to hit the 3. 

lane will definitely be clogged with all those lbs. inside.  

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Looks like Ballo may be getting a handsome BAG per a poster via HSN that typically carries some intel. 

Be it in Bloomington or elsewhere, Ballo’s gonna get a handsome bag somewhere. 

Maybe just maybe we can use a big body like Ballo to seal his man for Guards to drive and get their own. Haven’t seen that action at Indiana, ever?

Really hoping, and I don’t know I expect it, but really hoping confident guard play, play making, and shot making opens up a lot of things Indiana has been ignoring on offense.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just wanted to add a comment on the bag dropping.

Id recommend the fanbase not villainize the bag dropping from Indiana but instead be happy we can win bag drops now. 

its been going on for eternity in college basketball and for the most part those dropping the biggest bags are winning the most games. 

I can pretty much assure you if we stop dropping bags the fanbase will have a lot more to worry about than we already do.

id recommend embracing it and just leaving it out of the equation. It’s been a part of high level recruiting forever and now it just expands into mid level recruiting as well. 

Be happy we can compete in that for now and cross your fingers the staff uses its salary cap wisely. 

Very well said. At this point in the landscape, it isn’t “do things the ‘right’ way” vs. “win at all costs”. It’s “Be the Oakland A’s” vs. “Pay the going rate”.

The only way a guy makes “too much” is if it’s too big of a dent in our NIL pool and, with this fanbase/donor group, I’m not convinced the pool has a limit right now. 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

lane will definitely be clogged with all those lbs. inside.  

I doubt Ballo or Malik would be fine coming off the bench, so I imagine they would start together. Under the Woodson leadership we’ve seen, I imagine Ballo will be the first if not second option. 

Once they go to a four guard lineup (Rice/Trey/Tucker/Mack/Big Guy), then you’ll see hopefully a more modern offense I would ideally imagine. 

If the guards can get Malik and Ballo the basketball while knocking down the 3, then Woodson may have something next year. TBD. 

14 minutes ago, Jam said:

I don’t know anything, but if supposedly Rice and Carlyle were done deals for a week or so, it seems unlikely to be hosting Hickman and trying to get a Conwell visit, if they didn’t want another guard.

Good point, I had not thought about that. Thanks