Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

42 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Many have said he has barely played in two years. That's not accurate?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

May of 2022 suffered a torn meniscus and cartilage damage that required surgery. Missed The summer and played limited minutes during his senior season. Had another surgery August of 2023 so coming up on two years.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Carlyle snubbed Baylor, Auburn, and many others because of the academic environment at Stanford. So we could get a next level athlete that is in Kelley? That sounds good.

“He’s unique because most players that are fearless competitors also struggle with an out of control ego or an apprehension towards criticism,” Harris wrote. “Kanaan isn’t like most. He wants to learn.” 

Carlyle’s inquisitive and ambitious mindset does not just apply to basketball. He also plans to study business at Stanford and to become an entrepreneur after his basketball career ends.

“I’ll probably study business, hopefully I’ll go to the league so I gotta learn how to be able to take care of my own money,” Carlyle said in an interview with Pro Insight. “I want to build up my business one day after basketball.”

Might want to slow your roll on the academics.  He did sit the first 8 games at Stanford due to academic issues.  Certainly not going to write him off because of that, but think that the academic level at Stanford was an issue for him.

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/stanford-pg-kanaan-carlyle-to-enter-the-portal-after-freshman-season?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGcIf4-fiSizTC4TDWEva_eqSm5_fiOn_C0wX2kri0vqC2Bsql9ZQfLbr4R-FQiQhT48oUH0BRv6_OdwfCGzs6sMepU8QMvdJ4gF9ro9bxtCH4wVh99xxqestqBwRZE8PyifEokk_MA8gGFqC_2Z-2u4FZ2AknoIWrY8snU708Ap

Put me in the group that doesn’t have much faith newton will be feasible. Wasn’t a high level recruit (top 30) and hasn’t played in awhile with major injuries. I hope I’m wrong but wouldn’t be counting on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Might want to slow your roll on the academics.  He did sit the first 8 games at Stanford due to academic issues.  Certainly not going to write him off because of that, but think that the academic level at Stanford was an issue for him.

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/stanford-pg-kanaan-carlyle-to-enter-the-portal-after-freshman-season?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGcIf4-fiSizTC4TDWEva_eqSm5_fiOn_C0wX2kri0vqC2Bsql9ZQfLbr4R-FQiQhT48oUH0BRv6_OdwfCGzs6sMepU8QMvdJ4gF9ro9bxtCH4wVh99xxqestqBwRZE8PyifEokk_MA8gGFqC_2Z-2u4FZ2AknoIWrY8snU708Ap

Hey... Kelley is a great school... but it ain't Stanford. Could still be a good fit. Not familiar with his game, just by looking at stats assume there are better options out there. But as you said, not writing him off for academics and he definitely has some game. With Bama landing a commitment today....... I really hope we get one soon too. Or very strong indication we'll land a quality player after they're done in the tournament. Not holding my breath though. Hope I'm wrong..... 

3 hours ago, Demo said:

This is, of course, the rankest wishcasting imaginable, but a backcourt of Kanaan Carlyle and a healthy Jakai Newton would be the most athletic backcourt in IUBB history and would look nothing like the typical B1G guard pair.

A dude can dream.

It is the off-season, where with all the improvements throughout the summer, IU is poised to make a run. 

21 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Hey... Kelley is a great school... but it ain't Stanford. Could still be a good fit. Not familiar with his game, just by looking at stats assume there are better options out there. But as you said, not writing him off for academics. 

With Bama landing a commitment today....... I really hope we get one soon too. Not holding my breath though. Hope I'm wrong..... 

In terms of stats, shooting numbers/turnovers could be better.  But his shooting and scoring numbers are basically identical to Mgbako's. He was still a freshman in a P5 conference who averaged 11.5 points.  Also put up 31 points in a game against Washington State and had enough flashes in college to feel that his high school rating could be legit.  Also has shooting numbers very similar to another guy who was at Stanford -- Harrison Ingram -- and Ingram's game improved greatly once he left Stanford.

37 minutes ago, Dillion said:

Put me in the group that doesn’t have much faith newton will be feasible. Wasn’t a high level recruit (top 30) and hasn’t played in awhile with major injuries. I hope I’m wrong but wouldn’t be counting on it.

Agree. I'm not writing him off. But with the injuries, I just think it's wise to consider him scholarship #13 at this point, and not to count on him contributing until proven otherwise. 

We basically have five returning players. Three that are proven Big Ten quality, one veteran that can be a deep bench role player, and one young guy who we are hoping makes the leap.

2 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Agree. I'm not writing him off. But with the injuries, I just think it's wise to consider him scholarship #13 at this point, and not to count on him contributing until proven otherwise. 

We basically have five returning players. Three that are proven Big Ten quality, one veteran that can be a deep bench role player, and one young guy who we are hoping makes the leap.

What is this #13 scholarship you speak of?

So it seems everyone or at least the majority is thinking we will need 6-7 guys from the portal.

Arkansas, West Virginia, Penn State, UCF, Arizona State, Memphis, and St John's all brought in 7 or more transfers and none made the NCAA tournament. Sooooo that’s awesome.

2 hours ago, Dillion said:

He was a top ~50ish recruit prior to his injury but I agree with your premise.

Another site you may want to bookmark originally tweeted by Tony Adragna.

Also, Rabby has reported that tweeted report of IU having reached out to Tre Dinkins are inaccurate.

I think this is what you’re referring too. Just in case people don’t have X/Twitter

https://iuportaltracker.com

4 hours ago, Demo said:

Got hurt in June of ‘23. Played the last 4 games of his high school year last year.
If we’re gonna doom cast, let’s at least be accurate. 

He missed all but 2 weeks of his last high school season and all of his freshman season at IU. He had to have microfracture surgery. I don’t think it’s as much doom casting as it is having realistic expectations. Can he come back and help us? Possibly. But the likelihood is EXTREMELY low. Is it reasonable to expect him to come back after nearly missing two full seasons (in a row) and raise our level of guard play beyond X, Cupps, and Gallo? I don’t think that’s reasonable at all. 

The injury and surgery has completely derailed the careers of nearly everyone who’s had it. Amare Stoudamire is the only person who has had the surgery and came back to match or exceed previous levels… his athleticism was nowhere close to what it was afterwards. There is also a direct correlation between the time missed and performance (or even the ability to play again).

For example:  

Stoudamire only missed 5 months. 

Greg Oden missed 13.5 months. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

How hard do you guys think NGW is sweating right now? Now that the reality is starting to set in that we have to start landing close to 7 or more players, he’s got to be feeling it. 

Chill. Woodson knows he needs to make changes and he’s making them. I’ve seen a bunch already. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

How hard do you guys think NGW is sweating right now? Now that the reality is starting to set in that we have to start landing close to 7 or more players, he’s got to be feeling it. 

See, what you don’t understand because you’ve never been a top level athlete is that Mediocre Mike has decided to try so he will now be the best coach in the country. Add that to the fact that we have the only NIL fund in the country and everything is gonna be fantastic. 

1 hour ago, cleeter said:

So it seems everyone or at least the majority is thinking we will need 6-7 guys from the portal.

Arkansas, West Virginia, Penn State, UCF, Arizona State, Memphis, and St John's all brought in 7 or more transfers and none made the NCAA tournament. Sooooo that’s awesome.

NC State brought in 7.  Grand Canyon brought in 6.  Florida brought in 6.  It's certainly better to not have to bring tons of players in through the portal but I have to so that I'm not sure IU would be better off bringing in 4 transfers but having Banks, Gunn, and Sparks back.

9 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

He has his alternate account to post with to tell us about the BOT.