Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

10 hours ago, cleeter said:

So it seems everyone or at least the majority is thinking we will need 6-7 guys from the portal.

Arkansas, West Virginia, Penn State, UCF, Arizona State, Memphis, and St John's all brought in 7 or more transfers and none made the NCAA tournament. Sooooo that’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but none of those teams have Miracle Mike.  

9 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

How hard do you guys think NGW is sweating right now? Now that the reality is starting to set in that we have to start landing close to 7 or more players, he’s got to be feeling it. 

Why do you think he asked to have his account removed last week? 

10 hours ago, cleeter said:

I think this is what you’re referring too. Just in case people don’t have X/Twitter

https://iuportaltracker.com

Thank you.  I know I copied the link but apparently didn't paste it into my post.  Senior moment.  First one since the last one.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Nick Baumgart says he's confirmed we've contacted PG Leland Walker of Eastern Kentucky.  Played HS ball in the Indy area (I think it was North Central) but finished up at Hargrave Military Academy.

https://ekusports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/leland-walker/9586

Perfect 'get' when we need a bunch of players:

• Statistically productive
  • Athletic
  • No starting role promise needed
  • Local kid
  • Multi-year transfer
  • Played some high school ball at a military academy
  • From a winning small D1 school

Not all seven portal gets will be super-high end. We need some Leland Walkers to fill out the class. This is the kind of 4-7th best portal player that can help fill out a roster.

Very early in portal season but at least we've reportedly had at least some contact with a number of players on this list.  And in portal season, the word 'contact' can have a multitude of meanings.
image.thumb.png.262fc7dd63812d26462c3270dbc861cb.png
Hopefully we have reached out to the center from Stanford

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

So it seems everyone or at least the majority is thinking we will need 6-7 guys from the portal.

Arkansas, West Virginia, Penn State, UCF, Arizona State, Memphis, and St John's all brought in 7 or more transfers and none made the NCAA tournament. Sooooo that’s awesome.

It's not usually a recipe for success

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

What happens here in 2-3 weeks when it is obvious that woody isn't gonna field a good team using the portal.  Keep him and let him fail, or move on to a coach that wants the job?  Or are we beyond moving on, even if it becomes painfully obvious this isn't gonna work?

Just now, Sardinefarts1991 said:

What happens here in 2-3 weeks when it is obvious that woody isn't gonna field a good team using the portal.  Keep him and let him fail, or move on to a coach that wants the job?  Or are we beyond moving on, even if it becomes painfully obvious this isn't gonna work?

I think we all should prepare ourselves mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for him to be here next season. 

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

NC State brought in 7.  Grand Canyon brought in 6.  Florida brought in 6.  It's certainly better to not have to bring tons of players in through the portal but I have to so that I'm not sure IU would be better off bringing in 4 transfers but having Banks, Gunn, and Sparks back.

I think Florida is probably a realistic best case scenario for us if we do well in the portal. A 7 seed, good not great squad. Their rotation is nine guys:

- 2 returning contributors

- 1 returning player who didn't play much the prior year, but developed

- 4 first year transfers

- 2 freshmen

On 3/18/2024 at 4:27 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trying to keep updated - portal players reportedly contacted by IU

• Clark Slajchert (G) - Penn  (1)
  • Marcus Foster  (G) - Furman  (1)
  • Michael Ajayi  (G) - Pepperdine  (1)
  • Tre Dinkins (G) -Canisius  (1)       [May have been an inaccurate report]
  • Amari Williams (F) - Drexel  (1)
  • Dakota Leffew (G) - Mount St. Mary's  (1)
  • Frankie Fidler (F) - Omaha  (1)
  • Kanaan Carlyle (G) - Stanford  (3)
  • Ja’Kobi Gillespie (G)- Belmont  (2)
  • Leland Walker (PG) - Eastern Kentucky  (2)

Bump.

I've added the # of years of remaining eligibility I've seen reported for these players but haven't verified the accuracy of that data.

One thing to watch for when the serious targets start becoming available is their number of years remaining.  Obviously, in the current environment in theory every player is a 1-year rental but if every portal player we sign already has just a single year remaining then that's a guaranteed slot that has to be filled next year.  You'd hope that any portal players with more than 1-year left would prove to be a valuable player and we could keep them for another year.  

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Bump.

I've added the # of years of remaining eligibility I've seen reported for these players but haven't verified the accuracy of that data.

One thing to watch for when the serious targets start becoming available is their number of years remaining.  Obviously, in the current environment in theory every player is a 1-year rental but if every portal player we sign already has just a single year remaining then that's a guaranteed slot that has to be filled next year.  You'd hope that any portal players with more than 1-year left would prove to be a valuable player and we could keep them for another year.  

Agree. We absolutely have to get some portal guys with multiple years left, and/or a couple of spring signee freshmen. Otherwise we'll be in an even worse spot after next season.

10 minutes ago, Shooter said:

We absolutely have to get some portal guys with multiple years left,

Does it even matter? Everything is basically a one year deal now.  

Even guys like Galloway and Leal apparently have to be offered above market rates to return. Unless they return some rules to the portal process, I don’t think remaining years is a huge benefit. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Does it even matter? Everything is basically a one year deal now.  

Even guys like Galloway and Leal apparently have to be offered above market rates to return. Unless they return some rules to the portal process, I don’t think remaining years is a huge benefit. 

Yea I think it matters. Good teams and programs have continuity from one season to the next. Maybe an exception for Kentucky, but we have not shown the ability to recruit on that level.

Plus, while I agree everything is basically a one year deal, you have an advantage "recruiting" your players to stay when they have already been productive and successful at your school.