Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

7 hours ago, Demo said:

Wonder how often Monson looks into his nightly scotch and thinks, “What in God’s name made me think going to Minnesota was a good idea?”  That dude had Gonzaga rolling. Could have been Mark Few. 

Or a alternatively Few looks into his nightly scotch and says thank God I never took that massive offer from state U, I could've been Monson.  

I'm not even kidding,  I'd like to get Few drunk and ask him what percentage of the reason you never let Gonzaga is due to Monson falling on his face. 

57 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Or a alternatively Few looks into his nightly scotch and says thank God I never took that massive offer from state U, I could've been Monson.  

I'm not even kidding,  I'd like to get Few drunk and ask him what percentage of the reason you never let Gonzaga is due to Monson falling on his face. 

Make sure you take Few's keys first.

Calipari to Arkansas got me thinking today. 

I feel like several coaches throughout the years have moved from one school to another in the SEC. 

Tubby - GA to UK

Eddie Sutton - AR -UK

Bruce Pearl - TN to Auburn

I'm sure there are more, but you get my point. Has this kind of stuff ever happened in the Big Ten? I can't recall it. 

11 hours ago, str8baller said:

Mark Few turned down Oregon, UCLA as example. He grew up in the PNW has/had connections and relationships in recruiting ... but ... I read once a big factor is where he lives. It is like a high class hunting lodge with a trout stream running through his property. I did hear an interview a few years ago before IU played them in Indy ?? ... he thought IU fans were overboard crazy. That was just some added info and nothing to do with leaving Gonzaga.

If you have ever lived in the PNW, even as bad as the Spokane area, it's hard to leave ... especially of your property is a high class hunting lodge with a trout stream in back.

Really didn't understand the initial reaction to Mark Pope. He is a really good coach, I was really hoping they would look elsewhere. Just goes to show how many people don't know ball I guess

On 4/13/2024 at 10:16 PM, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Calipari to Arkansas got me thinking today. 

I feel like several coaches throughout the years have moved from one school to another in the SEC. 

Tubby - GA to UK

Eddie Sutton - AR -UK

Bruce Pearl - TN to Auburn

I'm sure there are more, but you get my point. Has this kind of stuff ever happened in the Big Ten? I can't recall it. 

Pretty sure Mike White went from Florida to Georgia pretty recently. 

The SEC has always treated sports like a business. If their coaches see a better opportunity or fit, they take it. The Big Ten just doesn't have that cutthroat mentality. Probably one reason why this conference rarely wins national titles anymore. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

Pretty sure Mike White went from Florida to Georgia pretty recently. 

The SEC has always treated sports like a business. If their coaches see a better opportunity or fit, they take it. The Big Ten just doesn't have that cutthroat mentality. Probably one reason why this conference rarely wins national titles anymore. 

Yes! Another great example. It just seems to happen fairly often here. Whereas when Dusty May went to Michigan, I felt like there was no hope he would ever coach at IU. But if we were in the SEC, it wouldn't be a foreign thought. 

Matt Graves is hiring former Sycamore Jake Odum as an assistant coach and, much more interestingly, Mark Slessinger who was the sitting HC at New Orleans and originally from Bloomington (or Ellettsville maybe, @Chris007?)

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Matt Graves is hiring former Sycamore Jake Odum as an assistant coach and, much more interestingly, Mark Slessinger who was the sitting HC at New Orleans and originally from Bloomington (or Ellettsville maybe, @Chris007?)

He's Ellettsville through and through. 92 grad of the Edgewood Mustangs. Better coach than he ever was a player. Good guy from a terrific family. I'm glad he coming back to Indiana.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I still remember after Mike Davis resigned/was fired -- Pat said he did not want to be considered a candidate for the job. After I stopped laughing, I said -- to no one in particular -- "I don't think you have to worry about that, son."