Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

If Beard is still at Ole’ Miss next year, we need to go after him at seasons end!  We need to get passed the guilty in public opinion crap! He was never found guilty of any crime that I’m aware of. Dude can flat out coach!

3 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

If Beard is still at Ole’ Miss next year, we need to go after him at seasons end!  We need to get passed the guilty in public opinion crap! He was never found guilty of any crime that I’m aware of. Dude can flat out coach!

Lol every time I think we get past this particular conversation on this board, someone else shows up

No thank you. 

36 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

There's probably a greater chance that the Indiana administration would rehire Sampson. 

56 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Lol every time I think we get past this particular conversation on this board, someone else shows up

No thank you. 

Been here the whole time!  I've never gotten past it, probably never will.   I just don't understand the court of public opinion on here against Beard.

1 hour ago, Ryno6284 said:

Who does everyone think is the best coach who has taken another job this offseason so far is? 

May has HUGE long term potential.  Muss at USC will absolutely acquire TOP talent and his 3 great years in 5 seasons lead me to think he will be dangerous at USC.  

Ohio State is interesting.  Certainly seems better than Holtman at the moment but I don’t really trust that to continue.  Kelsey seems maybe over his head, but his energy is infectious and that goes a long way. 

2 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

Who does everyone think is the best coach who has taken another job this offseason so far is? 

I got a little carried away with this question because I love it so much. I checked this ESPN list of coaching changes this cycle so far and looked up the wikipedia pages for all the new hires and made a short list of the ones I consider good candidates/hires OR a case to make for "best coach" of the cycle so far. I instantly eliminated first time HCs (including promoted assistants), those who are already known quantities (Cuonzo Martin, Enfield, Chris Mack, etc.), and those with underwhelming success/a small amount of success over a long sample size in D1). Here is my school report that nobody asked for: 

Ben McCollum (Drake): 394-91 (.812) HC at: Northwest Missouri State

• 25 years in D2, 4 championships. Umpteen awards. Top tier. He is coming into a good situation and I imagine has a local recruiting pipeline that will let him keep building in the right direction. Maybe a few bumps at first but expect a lot of success. 

Danny Sprinkle (Washington) 109-50 (.686) HC at: Montana State, Utah State

• Turned around Montana State quickly, one great year at Utah State with a team largely built from the portal. Washington wasn’t great this year but his track record indicates he should be able to recruit the region well and use the portal to his advantage. 1 or 2 year turnaround is probably the expectation/hope. Only 6 years as a HC is normally a negative in my book but he is an exception for now based on the portal success he had and regional ties. He seems ambitious having left his alma mater, then 1 year at Ut.St.

Pat Kelsey (Louisville): 261-122 (.681) HC at: Winthrop, Charleston

• Big improvements at both schools… time will tell. Could be dangerous… really dangerous… but will take time to turnaround UL… who knows how it will work out. I am annoyed by how good of a hire I think this could be, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it. 

Scott Nagy (Southern Illinois) 577-332 (.635) HC at: SDakotaSU, Wright State

• Was with SDSU from 1995-2016, transition from D2 to D1 and got it rolling. Had it rolling at Wright State for a while but last two years were disappointing in comparison. SIU will be the best situation he’s been in yet.

Jerrod Calhoun (Utah State): 242-143 (.629) HC at: Fairmont St., Youngstown St.

• Won at a high level at Fairmont State in D2. Turned YSU around slowly but surely over 7 years, last two were pretty good by their standards. Will depend on his recruiting chops IMO because he is moving from West Virginia/Ohio to Utah. Coming in at a good time though, could end up being a great hire to sustain the momentum. We should hire Utah State’s AD.

Dave Smart (Pacific): 591-48 (.925) HC at: Carleton (Canada)

• A flip switched in 2000 based on what Wikipedia shows as their record… going to look into him more. Appears top tier but HUGE grain of salt with the transition. This will be a big turnaround job but I assume he has a local recruiting pipeline that gives him confidence to make the switch now. Potential for huge success or disaster IMO.

Justin Gray (Coastal Carolina): 51-47 (.520) HC at: Western Carolina

• Going to recruit the **** out of NC. Played at Oak Hill and Wake Forest. One of WF’s all time greats, and had a long pro career overseas. Impressive three year turn around at Western Carolina. Will have more resources at Coastal Carolina. I think it’s more likely than not he will get it rolling here and pretty quickly. Could be fair to have him over Dave Smart on this list IMO. 

Paul Corsaro (IUI) 79-37 (.681) HC at: UIndy

• Football and basketball guy. Seems like the type that can lead a locker room pretty darn well. Turned around Uindy in 4 years, and the last two were pretty good. Worth keeping an eye on…mostly listed for the local appeal.

6 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

I was really hoping we would have moved on ugh.

38 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Crazy how these coaches can just put on a poker face. Jerome Tang was on Field of 68 last night talking about how great Kansas State is and it's such a basketball school. Now, it sounds like he is gone. 

Coach speak 

41 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Crazy how these coaches can just put on a poker face. Jerome Tang was on Field of 68 last night talking about how great Kansas State is and it's such a basketball school. Now, it sounds like he is gone. 

I’ve always wondered if when the rumors start and the boss (AD) calls to see what’s up do the coaches flat out lie or if they are honest.