Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023-2024 MBB Big Ten Tournament

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What about three? Beat Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois, and lose in the championship game. 21-14 with a top 25 strength of schedule.

That did it (barely) two years ago. Any chance that helps our NET enough to barely get us there again?

11 seed Indiana vs 11 seed Indiana State in Dayton on Wednesday night. I would need sedated. I think that might get USPS to sell his tickets.

28 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

The only team in the conference that scares me with the way we're playing right now is Purdue. I think we get to Saturday at the very least.

I'm with you, with the caveat of Trey actually being healthy like predicted in his speech. Other than Purdue, I'm not sure if anyone can hang with Ware right now.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm with you, with the caveat of Trey actually being healthy like predicted in his speech. Other than Purdue, I'm not sure if anyone can hang with Ware right now.

And while X is a flat-out turnover machine disaster on offense, with him we now have someone who can truly defend Buie, Baldwin, McDaniel, Young; all the little, dribble-drive guys.

Doesn't help against Purdue, but it's good for a bunch of others.

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And while X is a flat-out turnover machine disaster on offense, with him we now have someone who can truly defend Buie, Baldwin, McDaniel, Young; all the little, dribble-drive guys.

We are due for a good X game as well as Malik pulling himself out of his funk.

Honestly, if you would have said before the year we would finish conference as the 6 seed and 10-10,  I would have been tempted to take it. I would have guessed that would get us an 8-10 seed in the tourney. For a down year that is a step up from where we have been. 

But as this season has shown everyone (except for Woody apparently) there are other key numbers than just the W&L's.

28 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

11 seed Indiana vs 11 seed Indiana State in Dayton on Wednesday night. I would need sedated. I think that might get USPS to sell his tickets.

I'll be in Palm Springs.  I guess that I bet against that happening.  I hope IU does go to Dayton.  

Irony rears it's usual head.  Gotta laugh.  I can't even predict correctly when the next full eclipse will happen.  Or where.  Palm Springs will be in the 80s.  Joshua Tree will be hot.  (More predictions?)  

Go IU!

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Where's A. J. Moye when we need him?   

It would push them close but I just don’t think they can get their numbers to where they need to be.  Beating Penn St isn’t going to move the needle.  Nebraska is a tourney team but bottom half of the bracket team.    Illinois win would be the one that would move the needle the most.  Always depends on what others do around the bubble but the metrics for IU are just too bad right now 
Yep beating Penn state does nothing. They would have to beat Illinois at the bare minimum.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I think IU could be one of the annul shock inclusions in the tournament that no one expects if they win a few in the BTT.  The NET can be thrown out the window.  There are teams that we have swept that have also finished lower in the conference than us that have a higher Net simply because they ran the scores up more than we did.  It’s very easy to make the case that this team had to grow together and are playing at an at large level.

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I think IU could be one of the annul shock inclusions in the tournament that no one expects if they win a few in the BTT.  The NET can be thrown out the window.  There are teams that we have swept that have also finished lower in the conference than us that have a higher Net simply because they ran the scores up more than we did.  It’s very easy to make the case that this team had to grow together and are playing at an at large level.

The problem as I see would be the performance against the "good" teams.  At a min, I think the committee would be looking for competitive games.  Dropping a team in that consistently lost by 20 to the "good" teams probably doesn't move that meter.  

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Don't let Penn State knock you out in consecutive years.  That would be an Archie Miller type stat which Woody is accumulating a bunch of

We should have no problem with Penn State this time. They shot 12/21 (55%) from three the first game and 9/21 (43%) in the second game.  It's very unlikely they shoot that well a third time.  My guess is we win by double digits.  

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

to me if we can win the first two games we likely have a good chance at the big dance in dayton. 

We also have to win the next two after those first two unfortunately lol